List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on picking up Luke Breust if Shiels leaves. Feel like he would be a good fit for 1-2 years
Cooked imo

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

**** Dan Houston and **** Jack Lukosius. These are the players I want us to be balls deep into this year to add valuable experience, a winning culture and some that can be role players until we find the right replacements in the long term.

Out of Contract this year
One year deals, possible trigger for second. 2 year deals for younger players.
DFA or trade for basically nothing.

Ryan Lester – Experienced defender.
Steele Sidebottom – Experienced winger/half forward
Jake Kolodjashnij – Experienced medium defender to take oppo 3rd tall
Nick Haynes – Experienced medium defender to take oppo 3rd tall. Set up defensive structures.
Tim Membrey – Experienced medium forward to play the “Pink” role.

Ben Paton – Lockdown small, showed promise prior to injuries. Replace Lmac.
Jacob Konstanty – Inexperienced lively small forward from Swans. Vic boy might want to come home.
Ned McHenry – Some AFL experience lively small forward from 2018 “super draft”. Vic boy might want to come
Matt Owies – 70 gamer, 28 year old. Can kick goals, fill gap till we find a long-term small forward.

OFC in 2025, trade for them now?
Brayden Maynard – Brother works at the club. Defensive leadership, passion and 100% effort, flies the flag. Would cost a lot.
Jack Viney – Father works at the club. General leadership, passion and 100% effort, flies the flag. Would cost a lot.
Luke Parker – replace Shiels. Experienced gun.

Just a quick one Scout what are our thoughts on Langford and how high can he go. Do you think we should consider him i do realize not the right thread .
That's okay, well, you know he can't do much more this year than what he's done. The Larke medalist has had a great year, I've got him at pick 17 on page 126 in my draft on our national draft preview thread but I think he'll go a little bit higher than that, my final updated draft will be done on the Thursday before the actual event, such is the draft this year on many recruiters boards will look completely different.

Very good player and another who could easily make the top 10 but I feel a similar player with so much upside its crazy is Sam Lalor, wow, a lot of people haven't seen his best or what he can do because of injury, because of our picks at the moment unless we split and had a suitor I don't think Harvey is in that five player mix to take at pick 2 and even in the off chance we were able to do that it would be one of the key forwards + "Smokin" Joe Berry, Taj Hotton or Murphy Reid as our small forward, but this is all depending on who we get in the trade/ free agency period as that could change things.

Something that could improve us immensely is someone with good foot skills and while Taj and Murphy are good "smokin" Joe is so next level its a thing of beauty. Sorry for the "book" like response but I feel in order to reply in earnest, I must explain in my own way for the reader to understand my answer if that makes any sense.

Too slow? Soup just gave times that had him fractionally slower than Smith. While that .02 seconds makes a big difference in spread for high speed mids its bloody fast for 195 cm dudes. I believe the arial stuff easy to improve than than kicking and ground ball skills. If hit hits the ground while on a lead he'd have the advantage.

If we could develop him into a center bounce clearance player who moves forward then i see him being a real weapon for us. He'd be more mobile than the traditional taller type, able to wheel around as mids typically do, but also be a strong ground ball option. Team that with Larkey and an improved Elmo or other second ruck type and we're still reasonable mobile. If the second ruck is taking a spell or in the ruck we still have some targets, we're just more mobile in that time.

Down back im comfortable with Chom, Corr and Logue with W.Dawson brewing. Armstrong looks a good prospect but i wouldn't call him particularly strong over head yet either. He does have a good build, broad shoulders and filling out to do, so granted he's less a finished product than Smillie.

Im far from hell bent on getting Smillie, id prefer to lock and load FOS on a wing for 12 years. But also very open to the speed and class of Draper. If its Smith then i think we can make that work as well but as other have said appears less suited to our squad.
Smillie is 0.1 sec. slower over 20m, not 0.02 sec. 3.09 for a mid is average at best. If you are drafting Smillie then you are drafting him to be a midfielder. If you want a big-bodied mid that can also be a contested marking target up forward, then draft Langford or Lalor.

** Dan Houston and ** Jack Lukosius. These are the players I want us to be balls deep into this year to add valuable experience, a winning culture and some that can be role players until we find the right replacements in the long term.

Out of Contract this year
One year deals, possible trigger for second. 2 year deals for younger players.
DFA or trade for basically nothing.

Ryan Lester – Experienced defender.
Steele Sidebottom – Experienced winger/half forward
Jake Kolodjashnij – Experienced medium defender to take oppo 3rd tall
Nick Haynes – Experienced medium defender to take oppo 3rd tall. Set up defensive structures.
Tim Membrey – Experienced medium forward to play the “Pink” role.

Ben Paton – Lockdown small, showed promise prior to injuries. Replace Lmac.
Jacob Konstanty – Inexperienced lively small forward from Swans. Vic boy might want to come home.
Ned McHenry – Some AFL experience lively small forward from 2018 “super draft”. Vic boy might want to come
Matt Owies – 70 gamer, 28 year old. Can kick goals, fill gap till we find a long-term small forward.

OFC in 2025, trade for them now?
Brayden Maynard – Brother works at the club. Defensive leadership, passion and 100% effort, flies the flag. Would cost a lot.
Jack Viney – Father works at the club. General leadership, passion and 100% effort, flies the flag. Would cost a lot.
Luke Parker – replace Shiels. Experienced gun.
Has Joe Richards signed with pies yet? Could be worth a punt as a small forward. Looked good in the few games that he played.

Thoughts on picking up Luke Breust if Shiels leaves. Feel like he would be a good fit for 1-2 years
Um, no! While we need experience, somewhere in that 24 to 28 range is probably the go, though as good as he was a 33 old is not going to help us, we are improving and what we need is boys with good foot skills and close to elite, this draft is just that draft to do it.

Jack Macrae might look to get out of the Dogs. He has some flaws as a player but he’s still an AFL quality player.
Jarryd Lions, cheap finds the pill with ease and could add some experienced depth with the loss of Greenwood and Shiels.
Busslinger, adds depth to our talls and would give flexibility to play Comben at either end.

Get lukosious.

Has been ad hoc mercurial and at times disappointing to date. But has all the tools. Destined to be one of those players who just needs a change of scenery and kick up the ass to make it happen.

Last edited:
Jack Macrae might look to get out of the Dogs. He has some flaws as a player but he’s still an AFL quality player.
Jarryd Lions, cheap finds the pill with ease and could add some experienced depth with the loss of Greenwood and Shiels.
Busslinger, adds depth to our talls and would give flexibility to play Comben at either end.
Both Macrae and Lyons are too slow for the modern game, cannot spread, and lack positional versatility. Busslinger would make more sense, but I can't see the Dogs letting him go as their veteran key defenders are getting on in years, Jones 33, Keath 32, Lobb 31.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Macrae and Lyons are too slow for the modern game, cannot spread, and lack positional versatility. Busslinger would make more sense, but I can't see the Dogs letting him go as their veteran key defenders are getting on in years, Jones 33, Keath 32, Lobb 31.

Other than Busslinger has re-signed hasn't he

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Get lukosious.

Has been ad how mercurial and at times disappointing to date. But has all the tools. Destined to be one of those players who just needs a change of scenery and kick up the ass to make it happen.
Good idea, works well for clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn. Never comes off for us though.

Building through the draft seems to be the only thing working for us of late.

On Pixel 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good idea, works well for clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn. Never comes off for us though.

Building through the draft seems to be the only thing working for us of late.

On Pixel 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suspect you’re right. It’s been the most disappointing element of Clarko’s tenure to date for me. Was probably unrealistic, but I had hoped he would be able to lure a few names across. Not a criticism, as it’s a tough sell for any coach, but would be nice.

What we need is a small forward with speed and pressure . Pickett would be amazing. Additionally a half forward who can roll up to the wing who is an elite kick to hit targets in the forward line

What we need is a small forward with speed and pressure . Pickett would be amazing. Additionally a half forward who can roll up to the wing who is an elite kick to hit targets in the forward line

The ballsiest move I think we could do would be offer Pick 2 to Richmond for Shai Bolton and plant a $900k per year deal in front of him to turn his back on WA.

Whilst I do agree on a certain extent, Macrae has been pushed out by their shinny new toy Ed Richards, which is understandable because the kid has pace and can seriously play.

Yes Macrae has lost a yard of pace but what's quickly forgotten is that he's a consummate professional who still gets the pill, has neat skills (yes please!), has a great footy IQ, stands up in close games and will run all day, which all would've been handy last Saturday.

Even though Richards effectively took his position last year, Macrae still played 22 games and averaged 25.5 possessions a game and 4 clearances.

If we didn't seriously look to acquire a former premiership player and AFL star with a couple of seasons of quality footy in him to play the Shiels leadership role for a late pick then close the Arden Street doors.

Jack's career stats are ridiculous and run rings around just about everyone on our list..

1723419648699.png

Whilst I do agree on a certain extent, Macrae has been pushed out by their shinny new toy Ed Richards, which is understandable because the kid has pace and can seriously play.

Yes Macrae has lost a yard of pace but what's quickly forgotten is that he's a consummate professional who still gets the pill, has neat skills (yes please!), has a great footy IQ, stands up in close games and will run all day, which all would've been handy last Saturday.

Even though Richards effectively took his position last year, Macrae still played 22 games and averaged 25.5 possessions a game and 4 clearances.

If we didn't seriously look to acquire a former premiership player and AFL star with a couple of seasons of quality footy in him to play the Shiels leadership role for a late pick then close the Arden Street doors.

Jack's career stats are ridiculous and run rings around just about everyone on our list..

View attachment 2076858

Macrae would walk into our current side and be an upgarde on many currently getting games.
Good ball user, one touch player, understands the game so would help the kids through his knowledge and leadership. From all reports prepares on and off field like a true professional. Cheaper from a draft capital point of view than someone like Viney.
Can play mid, wing, even high half foward.

Adelaide Crows set to make bold play to bring South Australian Jack Lukosius home from Gold Coast​

Jordan Dawson, Izak Rankine and, now, Jack Lukosius? The Crows could be about to pull off another recruiting raid after meeting with the South Australian star.
Jordan Pinto and Josh Barnes

4 min read
August 12, 2024 - 1:28PM
News Sport Network
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor.../444c49563c9bbb6f0c41cb83d6910933#share-tools

Adelaide is making a bold play to bring South Australian Jack Lukosius home.

It is understood Crows coach Matthew Nicks met the 24-year-old swingman on the Gold Coast last week as the club attempts to pull off its third major recruiting raid in four years.

Lukosius, who was drafted from SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens with pick 2 at the 2018 AFL national draft, is contracted for two more seasons, but could be gettable after appearing to fall out of favour at the Suns.

The 195cm key utility was dropped from the Gold Coast team for last Saturday’s round 22 clash against Essendon for the first time in his 115-game, 77-goal career.

One of his key forward line replacements, Mac Andrew, kicked four goals, including the matchwinner after the final siren, while other key forwards Ben King (three goals) and Jed Walter (two) booted five majors between them.

Lukosius, though highly rated, could be available for trade as the Suns attempt to balance their books to bring triple premiership-winning Richmond playmaker Daniel Rioli to the club to reunite with his Tigers flag coach Damien Hardwick.

Rioli had a career-high 36 disposals against the Saints on Sunday and won’t come cheaply.

The Crows swooped on captain Jordan Dawson from Sydney in the 2021 trade period and, a year later, grabbed Izak Rankine from the Suns.

Rankine was taken one spot below Lukosius at the 2018 draft.

Lukosius, who has kicked 60 goals in the past two seasons for Gold Coast, has been on the Crows’ radar ever since he was drafted, but speculation has increased in recent weeks that he could become available in this year’s exchange period.

Former Adelaide and Geelong forward Josh Jenkins said on SEN last week that he believed Lukosius is “less than a 50 per cent chance” to be at the Suns next season.

Lukosius is believed to be happy on the Gold Coast and enjoys the laidback lifestyle of being a footballer in the Sunshine State.

He signed a four-year contract extension midway through 2022, saying “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else”.
But after being moved all around the ground by Hardwick – and now being dropped –Lukosius, who has a preference to play forward, is almost certain to have questioned his position at the club.

Adelaide could only watch on in 2018 as Gold Coast pounced on two of the most-highly-touted junior products to ever come out of SA with its first two picks of the national draft.

Lukosius went first, the Suns taking the Henley High School product with the second overall selection after Carlton drafted midfielder Sam Walsh with pick 1.

A generational key forward with running patterns out of Nick Riewoldt’s playbook was a pre-draft assessment of Lukosius, who booted four goals in his SANFL league debut as a 17-year-old in a preliminary final against Sturt.
Rankine went next.

The kid, who some say is the most talented player the state has produced, was running rings around men at 16, and capped off his SANFL career with three goals and 12 score involvements before being drafted.

What happened after that has been pulled apart ever since.

After Port Adelaide took future captain Connor Rozee at pick 5, the Crows drafted Chayce Jones (pick 9) and Ned McHenry (16) in the first round.

But forget that for the moment – it’s not about them now.

It’s about what might happen next.

Is the ending to the movie the Crows were forced to watch about to be completely rewritten?

First, Adelaide took back Rankine in a 2022 trade.

Will the Crows flip the script completely and reunite the pair this year?

Then there’s the other question, what’s he worth?

Lukosius made things look easy at junior level and, at times, he still does – that laconic, yet text book, kicking action can be irresistible.

But he’s been called out for taking things too easy during his time on the Gold Coast, with Fox Footy’s David King taking aim at Lukosius’ defensive efforts last year.

“You know why he’s a whipping boy? Because he puts in efforts like this. This destroys any form of culture you have at your footy club,” King said of Lukosius’ decision not to chase Bomber Nic Martin in round 2.

“It makes me wonder: Is Jack the sickness or the cure? Is he there to correct this problem and take this club forward? He’s on big money and he’s been a high draft pick and all those things, but in the end, you act your way in and out of a footy club.”

It’s that competitiveness that might make a potential suitor think twice.
But at 195cm, his skill set is rare.

“Jack’s a very special talent,” long-time AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan said before that draft.

He wouldn’t command anything near the selection he was taken with, but it would be hard for both SA clubs not to be, at least, interested.

The Power’s list is in a very different spot, compared to its cross-town rival.

Does it need another lead-up forward alongside Todd Marshall? Probably not.

But add Lukosius’ strengths to any contender, and it probably makes them better, especially if you’re a contender that loses Dan Houston’s kicking off half-back, given he has been linked with a return back to Victoria.

With the Crows building its next-gen forward line around Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty, Lukosius might be the icing on the cake as the third tall at West Lakes in the post-Taylor Walker era – whenever that comes.

Throw in potential father-son selection Tyler Welsh and Crows fans would be excited about the club’s attacking future.

But what’s the asking price?

Or, more poignantly, what is another club willing to pay?

It depends. Are you paying for the 24-year-old, 39-goal forward from 2023 or the guy dropped by a team out of the finals race?

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder – in a footy sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back