List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear, since the break there’s enough evidence to show we are on the way back and that the List Management Strategy, continuity in messaging and solidarity in the coaching staff means we are on the right track.

There is also very clear evidence that this side has a really soft underbelly that every side knows if they push hard enough they will get on top of.

We are at a stage where we are pointing to close losses and saying progress.

We will finish this year on the same wins and worse % than last year.

We enter the final round and the spoon is still in play.

I am a mix of angry and sad at what we have become. It is not just being flogged by the dogs (I mean a we've slipped by 79 points in a matter of weeks) or losing to West Coast having been up where the goals required to beat us exceeded the minutes left on the clock. But it is what last week and this week represent.

Our team is soft, they have no idea how to win, and on days like yesterday there are far far too many who pick and choose when they are going to compete.

That our very best this year resulted in being beaten, or in eeking our meagre wins. 20, 21, 22, 23,24 five seasons of it.

We once had a team that hated losing, now we have a team that seems to believe that losing is their natural place in the universe.

Couldn't agree more with you mate... first post in about 50 I have agreed with... ridiculous reaction. Yes was disappointing, we were smashed by their tall fwds with 2 of our best keys out. Other skills were very average too, fumbly and how many of their first 6 goals were from turnovers. Even Kerch got caught 3 or 4 times holding the ball.... bad game, we move on, we aren't that bad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Worst 100 game stretch in history suggests we are, in fact, exactly that bad

The focus should be on getting a senior player for each line ideally with clean skills and some hardness. Speed not required and not expected given the age group we are targeting. Pay them overs to get them

Backline: McGovern (J)
Centre: Viney
Wing: Sidebottom
Forward: Parker

These blokes don’t need to be getting it 30 times a game. I don’t want to hear they are cooked. Their job is to be connectors and onfield coaches. We are screwed otherwise

Nah I love watching our team languish at the bottom of the table and lurch from one disaster to another off field. FFS.

To be clear, since the break there’s enough evidence to show we are on the way back and that the List Management Strategy, continuity in messaging and solidarity in the coaching staff means we are on the right track.

The list is growing together and it will take time, but the crux of our next final’s side is already here.

I’m not throwing the baby out with the bath water over one late season pumping and suggesting monumental changes need to be made.

The monumental changes have been made and I am drinking the Clarko Cordial that we just need this core group to get 50-80 games together and they will be contending for finals.

That’s 2026 after two more pre-seasons as well.

There’s not much choice unfortunately because it’s been a cluster **** of epic proportions since 2016 and the Tarryn Thomas thing is a huge part of it and has just extended the journey by another year.

We have to be patient because internally there is no premiership players capable of leading the way so we need to mould our own - just like we did in the 90s and that took time too.

Pagan took over that list when it had played 50-80 games together let’s not forget.
So if you were Brads Scotts you’d be telling us that our performance against the Dogs was an “Aberration”. :stern look

The focus should be on getting a senior player for each line ideally with clean skills and some hardness. Speed not required and not expected given the age group we are targeting. Pay them overs to get them

Backline: McGovern (J)
Centre: Viney
Wing: Sidebottom
Forward: Parker

These blokes don’t need to be getting it 30 times a game. I don’t want to hear they are cooked. Their job is to be connectors and onfield coaches. We are screwed otherwise
All of them players you’ve mentioned are well into their 30s at the end of their careers and they still offer more than any of our current captains ever would. Get them in

I’m just listening to Tom Morris on SEN, not sure why I still do this to myself still. He is out here telling the football world Petracca is worth 2 to 3 first rounders. He then went on to say Carlton would have to cough up 2 first rounders and McKay if they wanted a seat at the table. How does this absolute ball sack have a job?
I'd be calling their bluff. I reckon it's in Melbourne's best interest to move on a guy who doesn't want to be there, has a $5million plus contract, will be 29 start of next year with questions marks over his long & short term fitness. 2nd round pick to take that contract off their hands or GTFO

There is also very clear evidence that this side has a really soft underbelly that every side knows if they push hard enough they will get on top of.

I am a mix of angry and sad at what we have become. It is not just being flogged by the dogs (I mean a we've slipped by 79 points in a matter of weeks) or losing to West Coast having been up where the goals required to beat us exceeded the minutes left on the clock. But it is what last week and this week represent.

Our team is soft, they have no idea how to win, and on days like yesterday there are far far too many who pick and choose when they are going to compete.

That our very best this year resulted in being beaten, or in eeking our meagre wins. 20, 21, 22, 23,24 five seasons of it.

We once had a team that hated losing, now we have a team that seems to believe that losing is their natural place in the universe.
The soft underbelly can be fixed wth one or two key recruits in the offseason.

Is Taylor Adams worth a look? He's 30 but would still have 2-3 years in him and has plenty to prove. If he misses out in the finals which looks likely, I think he will be gettable.

I'd be calling their bluff. I reckon it's in Melbourne's best interest to move on a guy who doesn't want to be there, has a $5million plus contract, will be 29 start of next year with questions marks over his long & short term fitness. 2nd round pick to take that contract off their hands or GTFO
I agree mate. Late first rounder at best if he is coming with the contract.

We're a young team theres no escaping that, running on fumes with senior types either totally cooked or not up to it and injuries to key players. Meanwhile the Dogs are the form side of the comp right now, running on expectation of what might be leading into finals.

We can judge the season as you say, same wins lower percentage but since the bye/ half way its been better with 2 wins and percentage would be much better.

Logue and Comben make a big difference in the mismatches, but yes we were still exposed. We probably need a bigger body mid along the lines of Langford/ Smillie, pace and skill of a Draper, a key forward or two such as Armstrong and Gerreyn. Sadly we cant address that all in the one draft, but we can get a couple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll add if you can’t use the football to a reasonably good level then you can FRO as well.
This is our biggest weakness, the first quarter against the Dogs showed how costly it is when you can't execute basic skills, they must have scored 3 or 4 goals directly from turnovers most of which were under little to no pressure. It is a glaring weakness with our list.

This is our biggest weakness, the first quarter against the Dogs showed how costly it is when you can't execute basic skills, they must have scored 3 or 4 goals directly from turnovers most of which were under little to no pressure. It is a glaring weakness with our list.
But at least we looked like scoring as well. Plus it helps us identify those that cant be trusted skill wise.

Is Taylor Adams worth a look? He's 30 but would still have 2-3 years in him and has plenty to prove. If he misses out in the finals which looks likely, I think he will be gettable.
I think he went back to Sydney for family reasons, doubt he comes back to Melbourne to play for the roos.

Would love to add Viney (2nd rounder) and Parker (3rd rounder) to our team. Parker to play fwd/ mid.

These two would help set better standards which will improve us greatly on and off field without having to sell the farm.

Both should be in our leadership group next year, one should be captain. I would much rather the likes of Sheezel, Larkey and Chom learn leadership off these guys than our current captains.

Trading for Petracca would mean giving up our pick 2 which I wouldn't be prepared to do. I'd rather take Draper/ FOS/ Armstrong.

If it meant losing our 2nd and 3rd round pick in this draft to get Viney and Parker, then I would like to trade our future first back into this draft (perhaps a trade with GC) even if this presents a slight loss to us. We need to accelerate this rebuild and I'm not saying this off the back of our loss on the weekend. To me, that was not worth reading in to. But we can't afford to remain rudderless at the bottom of the ladder any longer. Simpkin and LMac are our biggest issues in this regard.

Would love to add Viney (2nd rounder) and Parker (3rd rounder) to our team. Parker to play fwd/ mid.

These two would help set better standards which will improve us greatly on and off field without having to sell the farm.

Both should be in our leadership group next year, one should be captain. I would much rather the likes of Sheezel, Larkey and Chom learn leadership off these guys than our current captains.

Trading for Petracca would mean giving up our pick 2 which I wouldn't be prepared to do. I'd rather take Draper/ FOS/ Armstrong.

If it meant losing our 2nd and 3rd round pick in this draft to get Viney and Parker, then I would like to trade our future first back into this draft (perhaps a trade with GC) even if this presents a slight loss to us. We need to accelerate this rebuild and I'm not saying this off the back of our loss on the weekend. To me, that was not worth reading in to. But we can't afford to remain rudderless at the bottom of the ladder any longer. Simpkin and LMac are our biggest issues in this regard.
We need to be creative if we're to get both Viney and Parker in, I'd be reluctant to trade our 2nd pick as there will be a good KPF available there and we need to address that list gap. I don't think it would be good move to trade our F1 at this stage unless we're getting a top 5 pick for it, and I can't see anyone wanting to trade out of the top 5 this year, you can pretty much guarantee we'll be bottom 4 next year.

We need to be creative if we're to get both Viney and Parker in, I'd be reluctant to trade our 2nd pick as there will be a good KPF available there and we need to address that list gap. I don't think it would be good move to trade our F1 at this stage unless we're getting a top 5 pick for it, and I can't see anyone wanting to trade out of the top 5 this year, you can pretty much guarantee we'll be bottom 4 next year.

I think we're going to need to be aggressive and maybe take a little risk. We have to put an end to these bottom of the ladder finishes.

I would be happy with the following:

IN: Viney OUT: Pick 22
IN: Parker OUT: Pick 40
IN: Pick 6, 20 (GC) OUT: F1
IN: Pick 4, 28 (Crows) OUT: Pick 2 (Draper)

So we end up with 4, 6, 20, 28, Viney and Parker for 2, F1, 22, 40.

Those picks would get us Armstrong, Top mid, Gerreyn or other key forward and small forward plus, most importantly, we address the leadership issue at our club which in my mind is what's holding us back more than anything.

I think we're going to need to be aggressive and maybe take a little risk. We have to put an end to these bottom of the ladder finishes.

Those picks would get us Armstrong, Top mid, Gerreyn or other key forward and small forward plus, most importantly, we address the leadership issue at our club which in my mind is what's holding us back more than anything.
Good point. I'd be happy with this too.

If we were to take Armstrong maybe we don't need Gerryn, we could take a KPD like Noah Mraz? Regardless what you propose gives us good options from a best available talent and list gaps too.

Good point. I'd be happy with this too.

If we were to take Armstrong maybe we don't need Gerryn, we could take a KPD like Noah Mraz? Regardless what you propose gives us good options from a best available talent and list gaps too.

In terms of who we take in the draft and what list needs we address, that's up to those employed at the club. Just giving examples. I think key forward is our biggest issue right now. I'm pretty happy with how our defense is shaping but that includes Comben who I prefer as a defender.

I think the biggest win is getting Viney and Parker in. Their experience and leadership influence on our kids could set us up for the next decade. What sort of draft pick would you pay for that?

I like it too but I think it’s more likely Adelaide will be dealing with Richmond rather than us to guarantee them Draper. GC probably wouldn’t agree to that either as they could probably find a better deal elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back