Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s 10 or so players in our B30 that were taken with picks late enough that it’s fair to say you are missing out on an important roll of the dice by giving list cloggers like Narkle a spot

Dumb if you ask me but then again I’ve always liked a punt

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
How many mature agers has Walls taken in the National Draft?

Now outside of Bewley, who was still useful depth for a few years btw, who were failures so far?

Ask yourself whether a twice proven failure is a better chance than a guy that hasn't been tried before.

The pick 60+ 18 year old I can see as not worth the effort but the mature ager seems to have a much better hit rate tbh.

Last edited:
The sub should be a FAST player. Aish is not that.

Speed makes the biggest difference when the sub usually is used (near end of 3rd).

Could Frederick be the sub for 5 or so games this year?

I have not really seen him use his pace to break lines.

PS: Some talk we are going back to have 5 on the bench and no sub

Now outside of Bewley, who was still useful depth for a few years btw, who were failures so far?

Ask yourself whether a twice proven failure is a better chance than a guy that hasn't been tried before.

The pick 60+ 18 year old I can see as not worth the effort but the mature ager seems to have a much better hit rate tbh.

My thoughts exactly.

This is why Narkle is a pass for me, but we should get the best mature age player from 2nd tier who ever it is.

Doesn’t he have a 100% hit rate for twice failed pickups with Wagner & McDonald though?

In Walls we trust

Doesn’t he have a 100% hit rate for twice failed pickups with Wagner & McDonald though?

In Walls we trust
Wouldn't call McDonald a success after one AFL game.

My original point was there's been plenty of failed picks of 18 year olds late in the draft or as rookies. Think Walker (NGA), Treacy are possibly the only success stories there drafted in the main Covid year - Draper tracking nicely too but he's also NGA.

Don't rate Narkle at all based on seeing him play at AFL level but that's a completely different discussion.

I don’t mind Narkle for where we’re at. Has the class & with a forward half pretty stacked for threats - Bolton, Treacy, Amiss, Freddy, Jacko, Walters/Sturt, could easily get off the chain in crucial moments.

We’ve got blue collar for days. He’s a luxury item.

2016 Luke Ryan (20 yrs) - pick 66
2017 Samuel Switkowski (20 yrs) - pick 73
2017 Scott Jones (22 yrs) - pick 75
2018 Lachie Schultz (21yrs) - pick 57
2018 Brett Bewley (23 yrs) - pick 59
2022 Tom Emmett (21 yrs) - pick 41
2022 Corey Wagner (25 yrs) - pick 57

Also technically mature but not included:
  • Lloyd Meek 2017 (19 yrs)
  • Michael Fredericks 2019 (19 yrs)
The rules in 2023 allowed a change that previously delisted players not in the AFL system able to be selected as DFA. This may impact on the number of mature age players selected as some like Liam McMahon (ex Collingwood) or Isiah Winder (ex WC) don’t need to wait for ND.

2016 Luke Ryan (20 yrs) - pick 66
2017 Samuel Switkowski (20 yrs) - pick 73
2017 Scott Jones (22 yrs) - pick 75
2018 Lachie Schultz (21yrs) - pick 57
2018 Brett Bewley (23 yrs) - pick 59
2022 Tom Emmett (21 yrs) - pick 41
2022 Corey Wagner (25 yrs) - pick 57

Also technically mature but not included:
  • Lloyd Meek 2017 (19 yrs)
  • Michael Fredericks 2019 (19 yrs)
The rules in 2023 allowed a change that previously delisted players not in the AFL system able to be selected as DFA. This may impact on the number of mature age players selected as some like Liam McMahon (ex Collingwood) or Isiah Winder (ex WC) don’t need to wait for ND.

That’s a damn good record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back