Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a single chance Chapman was a reach. Wait until he has a full season without injuries.

It’s a big call but he’s still in our top five most naturally gifted players IMO. Absolute steal to get him past pick ten.

I'm not suggesting he was a reach. I thought he was a reach based on my observations. I'm not an expert that's what Walls is for.

I'm not suggesting he was a reach. I thought he was a reach based on my observations. I'm not an expert that's what Walls is for.

In hindsight we’ve done very well from that draft. It looks like an all time terrible draft (the excuse is quite obvious) tbh - Getting Chapman, O’Driscoll, Walker and grabbing Treacy as a rookie is crazy good really.

At the time I thought Chapman and Walker should’ve gone higher, O’Driscoll about where he did. Hadn’t heard of Treacy tbh.

Most of this board didn’t want Chapman due to him being a backman. He’s still slotted in very nicely despite this board thinking we didn’t need one. That’s why I’m still big on Bo Allan despite this board not thinking we don’t need a mid - we don’t have a midfield of prime GAJ, Judd, Fyfe, Dusty, Pandles and Bont so a really good mid still fits in perfectly. You can disregard this statement if the eagles pick up though (jk), which I think they’d be mad not to.

Todd Banfield iirc
Was gonna be relisted by Lions but poached

Nick Stevens got poached in the PSD by Blues

Hugh Greenwood was similar but not quite, he agreed to be a DFA at North after GC delisted to relist

It generally doesn't happen unless Knobel agrees to it

McCarthy at Port was another.

It's never happened without the player and the new club agreeing to terms prior to the draft.

If we are going to lose him, we will know

I think we will wait like a vulture waiting for some teams to make a "mistake" and also we may hear offers from others as well to trade the pick down. I expect that Richmond in particular will probably start to go more a "needs" (or for a better term: a spread of positions) basis rather than "best available", which will leave players who are probably better than those picked before out on the table and cause a domino effect. What that may mean for supporters is we pick up a player who is not an area of need, which may annoy some, but I honestly think this is the right strategy given our list is pretty balanced..

Based upon the amount of effort we have put into them, I think we "rate" Berry (rated 18 in Twomey's latest rankings), Lindsay (rated 17th), Travaglia (rated 11th) and Shanahan (rated 20) higher than most. But as I said, it won't surprise if someone we like that falls down the list because of others gets picked by us simply because they fell through.
You always seem to make sense in these matters. Helps that I too think Richmond can’t possibly draft 800 midfielders in one go - or however many first rounders they have: they have to go at least two KPP. Maybe 3 if they get seduced.

That’ll throw the ordinary course of events out of kilter and leave a fair few quality midfielders up for grabs “later” in the draft.

I’d like Berry or Hannaford because I am foolish enough to believe small forwards can impact straight away, but that’s a statistical anomaly.

Reality is, I’ll take whatever Wallsy’s cooking. He’s really quite good at his job.

Keen to bid on Ben Camporeale just to spite Cartlon.
I’m not a fan of bidding to spite option. Our second pick which will likely be 32 (two of picks used to match a bid are 28,29). I feel that is a reach for Camporeale and likely Carlton prob still match but there will be much better options at that pick so give the shenanigans as miss and just pick the best player available. Good chance we try and upgrade that pick anyway. Someone posted that we were very keen on Harry Oliver who is rated 26 by Twomey. Say he is available at 27 every chance we offer 32 and one of our 3rd round picks to move a few spots higher.

Focus on how we get the best possible draftees.

The bloke that pulled the strings in that 2019 draft is no longer at Carlton. The shenanigans that Silvani pulled in 2019 didn’t work out that well for them in any case.

I think we will wait like a vulture waiting for some teams to make a "mistake" and also we may hear offers from others as well to trade the pick down. I expect that Richmond in particular will probably start to go more a "needs" (or for a better term: a spread of positions) basis rather than "best available", which will leave players who are probably better than those picked before out on the table and cause a domino effect. What that may mean for supporters is we pick up a player who is not an area of need, which may annoy some, but I honestly think this is the right strategy given our list is pretty balanced..

Based upon the amount of effort we have put into them, I think we "rate" Berry (rated 18 in Twomey's latest rankings), Lindsay (rated 17th), Travaglia (rated 11th) and Shanahan (rated 20) higher than most. But as I said, it won't surprise if someone we like that falls down the list because of others gets picked by us simply because they fell through.
I think we should also have a needs focus in this draft. Fortunately all the prospects you name are a fit for needs apart from Shanahan. If the other 3 are gone I hope we 'reach' past Shanahan for a medium/small player with forward leaning potential.

Allan is a better player than both of them but fear he will finish up at the dirty birds
I doubt the difference between those three is that different.

Erasmus at 20 just had a dominant year in the WAFL and is held out of our best 23 by an ageing champion.

Johnson has all but cemented himself in our best 23.

Allan is yet to progress to actually being a midfield option, though it seems a likely pathway.

The question is more about the value of adding another of similar type to a midfield that lacks skill rather than size and power.

I'm not unhappy if we grab him, but he isn't my preference at our first pick.

Erasmus at 20 just had a dominant year in the WAFL and is held out of our best 23 by an ageing champion.

Allan is yet to progress to actually being a midfield option, though it seems a likely pathway.

The question is more about the value of adding another of similar type to a midfield that lacks skill rather than size and power.

He could be quality if he is able to brush up his kicking. I would be happy getting him if he was the best mid available and Freo know that they can't get Warner in their salary cap once if Brayshaw and Pearce extend.

If they can get kozzie then Berry isn't a need. If Kozzie is unlikely then Berry is a need IMO.

I actually don't mind getting another tall forward as Freo had to play Voss some games and his accuracy isn't great and neither is his impact on the game. He has some much needed improvement. Shanahan msy solve this problem and could be a real player. Evidence shows he can mix it already at the highest level outside of the AFL.

He could be quality if he is able to brush up his kicking. I would be happy getting him if he was the best mid available and Freo know that they can't get Warner in their salary cap once if Brayshaw and Pearce extend.

If they can get kozzie then Berry isn't a need. If Kozzie is unlikely then Berry is a need IMO.

I actually don't mind getting another tall forward as Freo had to play Voss some games and his accuracy isn't great and neither is his impact on the game. He has some much needed improvement. Shanahan msy solve this problem and could be a real player. Evidence shows he can mix it already at the highest level outside of the AFL.
Some of the games we 'had' to play Voss we should have played Reidy and played Jackson forward. And it looks like we are keeping Odin on the list as a developing power forward.

Some of the games we 'had' to play Voss we should have played Reidy and played Jackson forward. And it looks like we are keeping Odin on the list as a developing power forward.
Jones is definitely being groomed as forward/ruck and will get more development time at peel now that Tabs and Kuek have been let go.
Voss was fine with 2 of Jackson, Treacy and Amiss around him, when Jackson (ruck) and Treacy (injured) were both missing and he had Tabs as a partner, he looked a lot worse because we were asking more of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont know much about Bo Allan but looking back at that 2021 draft Amiss is the only pick we can say with confidence we got correct and would be drafted in the same range again in a redraft.
I think Matthew Johnson was probably a very slight reach at pick 21 in hindsight (pick 25 probably more realistic but he still had time to improve that), while Erasmus should clearly never have been taken in the top 10 looking back three years on.

It’s actually a very strong draft.
Three generational players in Daicos, Darcy and JHF.
Another potential one in Andrew.
Then a bunch of guys looking like very very good long term AFL players in Amiss, Callaghan, NWM, Owens, Conor MacDonald, Ollie Dempsey, Jase Burgoyne.

Wilmot, Lohmann, JVR, McVee, Rachele, Soligo, Hough, Paul Curtis, Uwland, would be the guys that should have been selected in the teens then in hindsight.

Few project talls like Aleer and Gibcus that are still hard to place due to injury and they probably are the most likely guys to jump up this order in the coming years.

I guess Johnson was probably picked in the correct range then actually in the early 20s, at the moment I’d have him lumped in with Ben Hobbs, Harvey Harrison, Windhager, those types.

Erasmus still some way off them unfortunately.

Dont know much about Bo Allan but looking back at that 2021 draft Amiss is the only pick we can say with confidence we got correct and would be drafted in the same range again in a redraft.
I think Matthew Johnson was probably a very slight reach at pick 21 in hindsight (pick 25 probably more realistic but he still had time to improve that), while Erasmus should clearly never have been taken in the top 10 looking back three years on.

Then a bunch of guys looking like very very good long term AFL players in Amiss, Callaghan, NWM, Owens, Conor MacDonald, Ollie Dempsey, Jase Burgoyne.

Wilmot, Lohmann, JVR, McVee, Rachele, Soligo, Hough, Paul Curtis, Uwland, would be the guys that should have been selected in the teens then in hindsight.

Few project talls like Aleer and Gibcus that are still hard to place due to injury and they probably are the most likely guys to jump up this order in the coming years.

I guess Johnson was probably picked in the correct range then actually in the early 20s, at the moment I’d have him lumped in with Ben Hobbs, Harvey Harrison, Windhager, those types.

Johnson was a massive slider there’s no way he was a reach at 21. I think people severely underrate him on here. There was a patch of footy this year where it all started to click and I’m sure it’ll only get better.

Curious to think which 21 players are better than Johnson 'in hindsight'. I know that in hindsight some absolute spuds were taken before him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back