Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this trade needs to be floated on the other clubs boards. This could be the trade that breaks all of the current stalemates. Eagles in that scenario then have 18 for Baker as well.

If you could start with the Eagles board that would be great.
This deal has like three different massively lopsided elements in Freo's favour that make it unworkable. But most crucially: if you think Melbourne are trading out their 2nd highest goal scorer for 2024, a 23 year contracted through til 2027 for 20 + an f2 you are dreaming.

It doesn't matter if Dumbo Damo thinks it's fair. Or any else for that matter. If, as is almost universally believed, we've already put 10 and 18 on the table as our opening offer you can forget 10 and 30.
That's why i still believe, as I said on day 1, it most likely will be 10 and 11 with something in the 20s coming back. Once 10 and 18 was on the table as the opening bid, it was only going in one direction from there
I agree on the reality you speak of, doesn't mean it is 'fair value'. Sometimes even Dumbo is right.

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

As nice as Bolton in our forward line would be taking 10, 11, 18, and 30 to the draft presents a lot of interesting opportunities to set up our list for sustained success.

If there's two players we really like available at 10 and 11 we can just take them and then tell the other recruiters at the draft that 18 is gettable to the highest bidder. With enough of a heads up it could be like the feeding frenzy that happens with the first pick on night 2.

If there's only 1 we sell 11 for overs. We could probably even trade 11 for something like 13 and a future second, or someone like GWS might even do 11 and F2 for 15 and F1. It's a really good spread of pick to get creative with trades.
You'd hope this is on the white board

From your (Freo fans) perspectives, are there any conditions on which you would agree to 10 + 11 + 18 for Bolton + Baker?

Example; if Richmond pays significant portion of Bolton's wages. Maybe 24 coming back your way?

Richmond have always had their eyes on 10 and 11. Our opening bid for Bolton clearly didn't matter and certainly didn't drive up the price.
Might not have driven up their starting point, it well may have driven up the end trade.

From your (Freo fans) perspectives, are there any conditions on which you would agree to 10 + 11 + 18 for Bolton + Baker?

Example; if Richmond pays significant portion of Bolton's wages. Maybe 24 coming back your way?

Pay 600k of Boltons wage, 200k of Bakers, give us 20 and 24.

Might not have driven up their starting point, it well may have driven up the end trade.
This is false. What sets the price in haggling is, all other things being equal, one sides slightly greater willingness to compromise. If we in the end are prepared to cough up 10 and 11 it wouldn't have mattered where we started.

Think we'd still want a first this year, to make things easier next year.

so pick 20 back, eben if we give a future 3rd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That sounds closer.
Bolton for 10/18 and a big chumk of salary.
Baker and 24 for 11.
Cheers. Maybe you and I should be doing the negotations! haha

Pay 600k of Boltons wage, 200k of Bakers, give us 20 and 24.

Be realistic - there's no way you'd get 20 back as well haha. Not without something else coming RFC's way.

Bolton contract, that's manageable, but I don't think we can pay any of Baker's contract because he's not contracted to RFC for 2025?

Yep, can see this working TBH. Could see RFC asking for F2 instead though and maybe a swap of F3's.

Yup. With 20 coming back instead of 24, no worries. We really need to spend a first rounder this year. (Which would mean we'd reach 2025 having spent 1 first round pick in 5 year window instead of the mandated 2 first round picks.) Next year, we'll need an exemption if we want to chase Warner EVEN IF we spend a first rounder. If we don't spend a first round pick this year, we'll be asking for a double or even triple exemption (if we're trading out 2026 futures). I don't think we can count on the AFL bending the rules for us.

24 plus a bit of salary I'd do. Dunno how much as it's hard to know how these things work.

Not sure Baker actually comes to us though after nominating WCE

10, 11, 18 and 30 for Bolton, Baker and 20 still keeps us in the first round. We need a first round pick to satisfy AFL drafting rules

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fair bit to play out with Baker. Considering what it looks like.
Been proactive with Richmond and Baker, but will have to wait.
Won't go into specifics what a deal looks like. Position has been strong and meets the needs for Richmond.

Feel the offer for Shai is really strong. Have to be balanced, want to see him at Freo, but won't sell everything.

Those 2 are the priority, who knows what may jump out later. Happy to go to the draft.

Positive discussions with brayshaw on a long term extension, should be covered off in a few months.

Fyfe & Walters - both contracted and see them at the club. Can still contribute at the club despite their best being behind them.

Fyfe comfortable being sub if that's what required. Very open to what's best for the team,

Spine & structure well set up. KP stocks in a good place.

Off-season injuries, going well, Young into running in a few weeks. Darcy progressing well, new year likely for full training.

Looking at how they manage Darcy and the knee, building strength.

I can’t for the life of me understand why everyone at the club rates Baker that highly they’re obsessed with him
Because they know he's going to west coast and keeping the pressure on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back