Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Baker has never been a C Grader and outside of the three mentioned, Reece Conca, Blake Acres and Will Brodie none of the guys we brought in were either. Some might've been a bit old but anyone that says McCarthy, Hamling, Hill, Wilson, Hogan, Lobb, Aish and Clark were anything less than potential A Graders or solid B Graders when we we brought them in is wrong.

The issue for West Coast in regards to Baker is age. No point bringing him in by the time they're rising the ladder he is playing like a C Grader because he's very much on his last legs as an AFL footballer. He could play until he's 35 for all we know but I guess that's the risk West Coast has decided to take.

I guess it depends on your grading system. A graders are elite players. All Australians, match winners. B graders a level below, very good consistent players. C graders guys that fill a role and show up week in week out but aren't in your top dozen or so players. Mzungu, deBoer, Conca, Wilson, etc are what I think of as C graders.

My interpretation of P11 involvement (overs for Baker) is that Freo's management is acknowledging that 10 + 18 isn't enough for Bolton.

Just my take.
They would be wrong in that case and really your stating the obvious if P11 is involved. I reckon that's just a trade week banter..

Hypothetical scenario, let's say for whatever reason Richmond decides it won't trade Bolton for 10+18 because of a fixation on 11, which scenario would people prefer?

1) Bolton falls through and we use all 3 R1s (I'd expect us to trade one forward here)
2) Proactively trade 11 for future picks and a later pick this year, and trade for Bolton for 10+18+part of what the future picks are (eg. F2)
3) Trade 10+11 with something material coming back (eg. Richmond F2, or 10+11 for 20)

Short of giving up 10+11 by itself, I don't think we can lose much.
For the record my preference is to hold the offer of 10 + 18 with a willingness to offer a small compromise if required (other pick swaps), and if not then hold.

Baker has never been a C Grader and outside of the three mentioned, Reece Conca, Blake Acres and Will Brodie none of the guys we brought in were either. Some might've been a bit old but anyone that says McCarthy, Hamling, Hill, Wilson, Hogan, Lobb, Aish and Clark were anything less than potential A Graders or solid B Graders when we we brought them in is wrong.

The issue for West Coast in regards to Baker is age. No point bringing him in by the time they're rising the ladder he is playing like a C Grader because he's very much on his last legs as an AFL footballer. He could play until he's 35 for all we know but I guess that's the risk West Coast has decided to take.
Age + price. There's legit critiques you can make of some of the names we brought in, but we paid first round value for really only Lobb and Hogan. Maybe McCarthy too, depending on how you value the trade down. For better or for worse, the club did those trades (and a lot of the other trades that were more 2nd round value) generally because they saw those players as being key contributors to a contending side for Freo. The guys who were brought in to take a fly at or be a role player for a few years or some intangible purpose were guys we paid close to nothing for draft capital wise.

Baker is older than all those names at the time of trade as you said, but also more expensive than anyone not key position that we've brought in. There's no way West Coast legitimately believe Baker will be near his best next time they're contending. And at that point, you're using first round value for leadership and vibes.

10 and 18 is fair. We're not being unreasonable here. It's a decent offer and only Richmond fans don't agree...Hell, Kane Cornes thinks its too much!

Richmond are being unreasonable in all of their trades. Asking way to much for their players.

All 3 clubs need to stand firm and apply pressure here as Richmond sold hope to the fans to cover a mass exodus.

10 and 18 is fair. We're not being unreasonable here. It's a decent offer and only Richmond fans don't agree...Hell, Kane Cornes thinks its too much!

Richmond are being unreasonable in all of their trades. Asking way to much for their players.

All 3 clubs need to stand firm and apply pressure here as Richmond sold hope to the fans to cover a mass exodus.

To be fair, Cornes is a peanut and is quite transparent about his dislike for Richmond.

He shows very little understanding of the GCS/Rioli/academy situation.

I don't think 10 + 18 is far off. I think 10+11 is too much though.

That's why I'm suggesting something like 10 + 11 + 18 for Bolton + Baker + 24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles looking at Graham, Baker, Owies and then probably DFA’s to cover Barrass role in the backline.

Looks like they are loading up 😉 reckon the delusional peanuts running it are reminiscing their 2011 shoot up the ladder after a wooden spoon.

To be fair, Cornes is a peanut and is quite transparent about his dislike for Richmond.

He shows very little understanding of the GCS/Rioli/academy situation.

I don't think 10 + 18 is far off. I think 10+11 is too much though.

That's why I'm suggesting something like 10 + 11 + 18 for Bolton + Baker + 24.
10 and 18 for Bolton is fair value for both of us.

Baker will go to west coast. He's nominated them and that's where he will end up. So any talk of him going to Freo is moot.

Eagles looking at Graham, Baker, Owies and then probably DFA’s to cover Barrass role in the backline.

Looks like they are loading up 😉 reckon the delusional peanuts running it are reminiscing their 2011 shoot up the ladder after a wooden spoon.
Damn. You must have a very different definition of what loading up means.

Baker is a very good footballer. There's a reason not many clubs are were after Graham and Owies.

FWIW though I don't really rate Owies and think he'd be an especially poor fit for us (pressure is virtually nothing) but Carlton's small forwards are worse than ours - feel like them letting the one that scored the most goals go is good for us and every team above us (excluding Carlton).

Damn. You must have a very different definition of what loading up means.

Baker is a very good footballer. There's a reason not many clubs are were after Graham and Owies.

FWIW though I don't really rate Owies and think he'd be an especially poor fit for us (pressure is virtually nothing) but Carlton's small forwards are worse than ours - feel like them letting the one that scored the most goals go is good for us and every team above us (excluding Carlton).
Was being sarcastic 😂

Hypothetical scenario, let's say for whatever reason Richmond decides it won't trade Bolton for 10+18 because of a fixation on 11, which scenario would people prefer?

1) Bolton falls through and we use all 3 R1s (I'd expect us to trade one forward here)
2) Proactively trade 11 for future picks and a later pick this year, and trade for Bolton for 10+18+part of what the future picks are (eg. F2)
3) Trade 10+11 with something material coming back (eg. Richmond F2, or 10+11 for 20)

Short of giving up 10+11 by itself, I don't think we can lose much.
For the record my preference is to hold the offer of 10 + 18 with a willingness to offer a small compromise if required (other pick swaps), and if not then hold.

Pretty sure Bolton's partner is already back in Perth and their house in Melbourne is on the market. He's checked out and Richmond are desperate for picks. A deal will be done.

In the unlikely event it doesn't get done...go to the draft with 10 and 30 and move 11 and 18 into next year. If we traded 11 for say 18 and a F1 then go the draft with 10, 18 and 30 with 3 x first rounders again next year that's fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back