List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of top 10 picks fail, that’s why we need two of them. Any half decent recruiter should get at least one right. Nail both and we’re potentially set for the next decade.

We got 3 (of the top 10) from the 2017 draft and ended up with 5 of the top 19 in the 2013 draft. Somehow we managed to find only GOP's...

Still have my fingers crossed Hunter and Dow can take the same step Steele and Sincs did at a similar age.

You guys are all mental
How many top 10 picks end up as busts? Bloody heaps of them! Getting a guaranteed gun with the battle pick would be a great result, as the alternative could be a Nick coffield size or pot of gold.
Houston is a very good player (on par with both Sinclair and nas). He would give us the most potent attacking backline in the comp. It's already one of our strengths so why not turn it into an out and out weapon.
The very best coaches don't copy other game plans, they develop one that suits their list. Our list has good runners and excellent distributors off half back so let's use that to become the team to beat. Let other teams start copying how we play, I say!
Use one top pick on a mid, trade for Houston and see what happens.

On Pixel 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

a) Have a look at our "trade" history , how many end up busts? Bloody heaps of them.
b) Houston might be retiring in 3 years ( or less ). We might get a decade or more out a good pick in this draft.

Best case:
Draft : We get an elite player for a decade.
Trade: We get an aging Dan Houston for 5 years.

Worst case :
BOth: something goes wrong and its a bust.

a) Have a look at our "trade" history , how many end up busts? Bloody heaps of them.
b) Houston might be retiring in 3 years ( or less ). We might get a decade or more out a good pick in this draft.

Best case:

Worst case :

The thing is with Houston, i see it as a Zac Williams thing. he was brought in to Carlton to move into the midfield.....was horrible in there, now is moved between back and forward.

Just because youre an AA half back, doesnt make you an excellent mid. and certainly not worth trading top picks for.

Rory Laird in an AA half back....and not a great mid

You guys are all mental
How many top 10 picks end up as busts? Bloody heaps of them! Getting a guaranteed gun with the battle pick would be a great result, as the alternative could be a Nick coffield size or pot of gold.
Houston is a very good player (on par with both Sinclair and nas). He would give us the most potent attacking backline in the comp. It's already one of our strengths so why not turn it into an out and out weapon.
The very best coaches don't copy other game plans, they develop one that suits their list. Our list has good runners and excellent distributors off half back so let's use that to become the team to beat. Let other teams start copying how we play, I say!
Use one top pick on a mid, trade for Houston and see what happens.

Huston will cost 2 first rounders, and is contracted and if available there will be a bidding war.
Since 2016 name one bust from our inside 15 picks? Coffield? Yes will grant that up against
Clark
King
Naz
Pou
Wilson
With the top ten so even we would have to go well to get a bust.
Houston is not a requirement FFS.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Been sub a number of times, 6 in total
Pushed out of the middle a few times (when GWS have all there mids)

Combined, would effect his numbers considerably.

What i do know,

He's a tacking machine
He wins clearances as good as anyone if he's allowed off the tagging role
Gun tagger yet will still impact unlike other taggers
Would be the saints second best mid
Will still be 24 for all of next season
Wait. Are we talking Peatling our second best mid?

Last edited:
We got 3 (of the top 10) from the 2017 draft and ended up with 5 of the top 19 in the 2013 draft. Somehow we managed to find only GOP's...

Still have my fingers crossed Hunter and Dow can take the same step Steele and Sincs did at a similar age.
I think Hunter is a good player even if he isn’t a great one but Dow was a major disappointment for me this year. If he’s got good speed we didn’t see any evidence of it and he barely found the ball. I’ll give him one more year then all hope will be lost with him.

Best case:

Worst case :
Worst case could also be we pick up two spuds who play less than 20 games each before being traded or delisted for peanuts and Houston goes on to be a 4/5 time aa and helps another team win a flag while we are still waiting for those midfielders we picked up in the draft to come good.
A bird in the and all that.

Oh I don’t think we’re much of a chance of getting him, more just pointing out the fact that this thread is absurdly picky with the players they would trade in.

Call me crazy, I think when and if a star player wants to come to your club you should try and make it happen. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Everyone in here seems convinced two mid-first round picks will solve our midfield problems, I’m sorry but it’s more likely they will be busts than stars.
Trading in hasn’t really solved our problems.

Keep those to build on an excellent young group, which is still shallow

I would like to see us trade for Lukosious, Peatling and Soldo,
Draft 2 mids at 7&8
Take academy kids Cole & Hoffman
FS Peckett
And I would be extremely happy 😃
I’d be bitterly disappointed if we don’t make use of an incredibly deep draft with our 25-ish and even the early third rounder (unless we use that to jump up the order).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huston will cost 2 first rounders, and is contracted and if available there will be a bidding war.
Since 2016 name one bust drom our inside 15 picks? Coffield? Yes will grant that up against
Clark
King
Naz
Pou
Wilson
With the top ten so even we would have to ho well to get a bust.
Houston is not a requirement FFS.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
There are literally multiple top 10 busts in every year of the draft. I'll name a few from the last few 5 drafts:
- Chayce Jones
  • Fisher mcasey
  • Dylan Stephens

-Nick Cox
-Zach Reid
-will Phillips
Josh gibcus

Now obviously these guys still have time to get their career going but most likely none of them will be guns.

I would agree you cannot use two first round picks for him but if he was available with the battle compensation first round pick then I would absolutely do that. Gives us a gun player for now and a draft pick for future. With how even the comp is at the moment it's definitely an era where you can Jag a premiership from seemingly nowhere.

Just my opinion anyway

Two completely different propositions
I'm not so sure it is. Both 30+ year-old quality mids at the Bulldogs.

Mccrae signed until 2027. Treloar signed until 2025.

Both would require a trade. Treloar likely looking for some security and a contract for a few more years wherever that comes from. Bulldogs probably more open to a trade for Mccrae and keep Treloar but they probably won't be willing to offer what we could in years/coin. Mccrae is also a year younger and their vice captain.

There are literally multiple top 10 busts in every year of the draft. I'll name a few from the last few 5 drafts:
- Chayce Jones
  • Fisher mcasey
  • Dylan Stephens

-Nick Cox
-Zach Reid
-will Phillips
Josh gibcus

Now obviously these guys still have time to get their career going but most likely none of them will be guns.

I would agree you cannot use two first round picks for him but if he was available with the battle compensation first round pick then I would absolutely do that. Gives us a gun player for now and a draft pick for future. With how even the comp is at the moment it's definitely an era where you can Jag a premiership from seemingly nowhere.

Just my opinion anyway

Gibcus isn't a bust

I'm not so sure it is. Both 30+ year-old quality mids at the Bulldogs.

Mccrae signed until 2027. Treloar signed until 2025.

Both would require a trade. Treloar likely looking for some security and a contract for a few more years wherever that comes from. Bulldogs probably more open to a trade for Mccrae and keep Treloar but they probably won't be willing to offer what we could in years/coin. Mccrae is also a year younger and their vice captain.

One is struggling to make the starting 22. The other is All Australian and one of their most important players.

Completely different imo.

One is struggling to make the starting 22. The other is All Australian and one of their most important players.

Completely different imo.
Yes, which is why we should be after the AA one. There will be fall-out at the dogs and Bevo could be out which presents the opportunity for us. We can offer more money and security and he becomes our best or 2nd best mid. At 31 he would be thinking about his future, I'm not sure Bulldogs with their star-studded team will be so willing to present an All-Australian re-signing offer he would be happy with.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back