List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't agree even on $900K, Hawthorn are paying him too much as well. If you are paying your B and C grade players elite money then you are forced to pay your truly elite players even more. A player like Battle, a good solid citizen you pay a good solid citizen's wage not more particularly as these wages discussions are heavily played out in the public eye.
Nah, Battle is much more than a solid citizen. Plenty undervaluing him.

The lack of transparency on the compo and general incompetence from Kane + Dillion is why I'm not getting attached to the idea of pick 8 until it is announced. It might be tin hat stuff but head office is a place that makes things up as they go and being on the wrong side of them could mean they fall on the side of band 2 instead of band 1.
Not tin hat at all. The AFL could be transparent about it, the fact they arent tells you all you need to know

It quite sure how you all think the club should held to account if the comp is not band 1. The whole situation has been out of our hands. We made an offer to Josh early in the year based on what we thought he was worth.

During the year he was courted by Haw who eventually made a larger offer.

Being made aware of the Haw situation we increased our offer.

He chose Haw, what more could we do. He is unrestricted, we can’t tie him to the goal post. The compensation is based on Haw offer not ours and the decision on compensation is also out of our hands.

How can we be held responsible if we don’t get band 1

It quite sure how you all think the club should held to account if the comp is not band 1. The whole situation has been out of our hands. We made an offer to Josh early in the year based on what we thought he was worth.

During the year he was courted by Haw who eventually made a larger offer.

Being made aware of the Haw situation we increased our offer.

He chose Haw, what more could we do. He is unrestricted, we can’t tie him to the goal post. The compensation is based on Haw offer not ours and the decision on compensation is also out of our hands.

How can we be held responsible if we don’t get band 1
Again, from all accounts, the right offer to Josh without making him a potential pawn for a higher draft pick and hes not gone.

Now again, i dont take issue with the club looking at ways to get forward in the draft but if youre gonna do it with a player like Josh, knowing what type of person he is, then cook it and watch him leave for less money then not get the high draft pick youve targeted youve cooked it.

We could have done a stack of things from Jan through to now to keep him or at least keep him happy and push the Hawks offer up.

If we get band 1, great the club got the job done, hats off, if its not, youd want us to be running a very very fine comb over the whole saga to see what we ****ed up.

Lets be honest here, pick 8 is overs for Josh and we all know it. HOWEVER, we don't get any Father Sons, we don't have a Academy full of jets, we don't have 100,000 members and play at a full MCG every week, we don't have huge sponsors that can offer off-the-books perks, and we don't have the go-home factor. Therefore, just once, we can catch a break and get a bit lucky with something.

Lets be honest here, pick 8 is overs for Josh and we all know it. HOWEVER, we don't get any Father Sons, we don't have a Academy full of jets, we don't have 100,000 members and play at a full MCG every week, we don't have huge sponsors that can offer off-the-books perks, and we don't have the go-home factor. Therefore, just once, we can catch a break and get a bit lucky with something.
Let’s be honest.

This place has been a battle ground about this entire Battle situation.

Whoever is our pick with that compo or whatever we do with that pick. Will be scrutinised for years on here.

So if we want to be wishing luck on something. Can it please be a star taken at that pick to bring the divide back together 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, I actually don't care if it happens. A big IF anyway.
( don't all come at me at once.)

I don't want to wait another 10+ years for a flag - I'd rather other teams with F/S picks get a little more disadvantaged from now to even things up a little already.

F/S and Academies can stay IMO.
The only thing I would adjust is the stupid points. Make it quite simple. To match any bid the pick you give up has to be within 7-10 picks of the initial bid.
The points system was the largest stupid thing that they could ever have thought up.

Could definitely see the AFL to make an example out of us trying to play the compensation system. To be fair if another club did this I would be complaining that it’s a rort. Recent AFL decisions tell me that they have no mercy for clubs when it comes to disciplinary action. Regardless of how long suffering the supporters are. Hopefully the outcome is leaked before Friday, not sure we can take a full week of speculation on here .

I still don't agree even on $900K, Hawthorn are paying him too much as well.

Well player payments are going up, so that is the way of AFL World at present. If he was Grid Iron Player you would have some extra 0 or two on the end as well.

If you are paying your B and C grade players elite money then you are forced to pay your truly elite players even more.

Yes but as he is a FA the argument is that the club is effectively using part of the money in place of draft capital (pick or another player). The players and their managers all know this, so it does not really effect what other players are paid.

Plus in this case as player payments are going up, when his new team mates recontract they will all be getting more anyway.

Lets be honest here, pick 8 is overs for Josh and we all know it.
Again in FA it is never about the player, it is the contract. Buddy was worth far more than his FA Compo, but it was the deal that determines it.

Mackay last yet another clear example. Battles isa better player than Mackay. But agin how good the player is is not relevant.

Even if the AFL can, and probably has, tinkered a bit with the compo either way.

Could definitely see the AFL to make an example out of us trying to play the compensation system.

How has St Kilda "played" it better or worse than any other club?

Now yes last year's proposed "Shiel-deal" may have been rorting it, but the Battle situation is pretty straight forward. And we were prepared to keep him at the money offered.

I tell you what - in the same off season as casually handing the 2024 premiers (and 2023 grand finalists) a free pick one-rated FS player in the draft and a free top 20-rated academy player, only allowing a perennially kicked around hard luck club to get band two compo for a player who will probably end up in in the top 3 at the club B&F would be a very dumb PR move from the AFL, even the media who are happy to see us burn would use the outrage to generate clicks for months

How has St Kilda "played" it better or worse than any other club?

Now yes last year's proposed "Shiel-deal" may have been rorting it, but the Battle situation is pretty straight forward. And we were prepared to keep him at the money offered.

We haven’t player it better or worse it’s the FA compo system that is the rort. We wouldn’t receive draft capital greater than pick 8 for Battle in a trade-only system. Same as Ben Mckay for Pick 3. FA compo as a system is just as compromised as the current Academy and F/S bidding system is. The fact that the compensation pick can only be directly after your pick or at the end of the round is a really limited and exploitable rule. I think we are mature enough to realise that without being one-eyed nuffies here. In trade value Id put Josh battle as a late first round pick. In FA compo it’s likely we get a top 10. Its not as bad as the Ben Mckay one or undervalued as Buddy for 19 but it’s still not right.

The AFL has had a slight course-correction in the bidding system, i wouldn’t be surprised if we were the first victim of the FA compo course correction.

Last edited:
I tell you what - in the same off season as casually handing the 2024 premiers (and 2023 grand finalists) a free pick one-rated FS player in the draft and a free top 20-rated academy player, only allowing a perennially kicked around hard luck club to get band two compo for a player who will probably end up in in the top 3 at the club B&F would be a very dumb PR move from the AFL, even the media who are happy to see us burn would use the outrage to generate clicks for months
There is no way Battle podiums in the BnF

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back