List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole trade period could probably be done inside the last 2 hours, the amount of deals that are being projected as ‘last 5 minutes’ this year.

I’d prefer a 24hr trade period, no mucking around get your best offer in first and if that’s not suitable the deal doesn’t get done.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why even have a trade period? Why not just have free trade and players can move whenever they want.

Where does the extra F2 come into it? We'd need one to be able to trade our F1 but you are giving it up for Soldo deal.

Does Bomber deal you suggest involve an F2?
I’m not sure how strict that rule will be considering from next year we can trade 2 years worth of picks.

We have 7,8,27,47,85 + F1+2+3+4

With 9 spots including crouch free + a Sandy Rookie.

As reported by Jon Ralph+ Jay Clark last week. We trade an F2 for Soldo and the powers F3. We on trade F3 to the dogs for Macrae.

We trade F1 +27 + 43 to the dons.

We get stringer pick + 86 (Maybe an F3 or 4)

85+86 should come into the 60s on draft night.

53 or 56 is the rumoured stringer pick. Comes into the 40s.

Those 3 picks are used for Cole/Peckett/Hoff.

Draft night.

9 could go back 1 or 2 spots for an additional F2 and potentially something really late for further points.

So hypothetically:
7,8,11, 53/56, 85,86

F2, F2, F3, F4 (potentially another F3/F4)

Soldo & Macrae.
I think we are paying too much. Plus we’d need the AFL to sign off on going into next years draft without a first or second round pick which they can do but the default is you must retain one.

Regardless I doubt we need to use a second on Soldo which fixes the issue of retaining a second next year. I also think Ess would throw us back a future third in your proposed deal. But I think they’d like the points this year so I agree with giving them 47 this year.

I’d keep it fairly simple tbh.
  • Picks 27 and 47 and future first for pick 9 and future third.
  • Future third for Soldo
  • Future third for Mccrae

2024 draft - 7, 8 and 9. Leftover picks for the NGA boys if they make the cut

2025 draft - 2nd and 4 round picks

I think we are paying too much. Plus we’d need the AFL to sign off on going into next years draft without a first or second round pick which they can do but the default is you must retain one.

Regardless I doubt we need to use a second on Soldo which fixes the issue of retaining a second next year. I also think Ess would throw us back a future third in your proposed deal. But I think they’d like the points this year so I agree with giving them 47 this year.

• Future third for Soldo

Look I’m not really fussed.

Was pointing out that we can make this work quite easily. Even to the point of regaining currency on draft night.

That's all fine but it ignores the fact that any pick they trade for will still be affected by matching a bid on Kako.

If what you suggest plays out;

#9 is moved for a late teens pick & an early 2nd then that pick in the teens will be eaten up just like #9 would have been.

It literally defeats the purpose of trading #9 out.

If they wait until draft night & a bid comes prior to #9 & they try do a deal for picks in this draft, not only do those picks get tainted but they lose bargaining power as the clock is ticking & clubs will know that they're desperate.

"If we offered them #27 and a future 1st they would still have to find points to match a Kako bid"

They will have draft capital with Stringer and any other deals they can get done in the next week. 27 & their current #31 are enough to cover a bid in the range expected anyway.

Whether we are the club that can get involved or not, Essendon will need to move #9 out regardless and the only way that they can get a reasonable return that isn't affected by a Kako bid is to trade in a future 1st.

If they want more picks in this draft they will have to trade a future pick/s...and that can only happen AFTER a bid & match for Kako comes.

Great but Rosa said they want other decent picks in this draft, other clubs can offer that WE CANT. Stringer wont get them a decent pick. I love how as supporters we get excited about our own deal but the blinkers completely come down with regards to what Essendon want to do and what other clubs might offer.

Pick 27 & 31 leaves them with pick 55 I dont think thats what they want. Plus they have Jayden Ngyuen as another NGA who has flown under the radar but should also be bid on.

Last edited:
Look I’m not really fussed.

Was pointing out that we can make this work quite easily. Even to the point of regaining currency on draft night.
Definitely. Under that scenario we may get to 7 and 8 and select two players and then someone’s left on the board that GWS really like so they throw us pick 15 and next years first/or second for 9. We fix our 2025 draft hand and use pick 15 on needs.

Almost barracking against it in some regards...

Grow up - its the reality no ones barracking against it.

Go away and have an unbiased look at it from an Essendon perspective. They have stated they want to remain relevant in this years draft, future picks arent their priority. If we some how pull off the trade I will be wrapped, but it will be because Essendon change their plan, rather than what other clubs can offer this year.

Go away and have an unbiased look at it from an Essendon perspective. They have stated they want to remain relevant in this years draft, future picks arent their priority. If we some how pull off the trade I will be wrapped, but it will be because Essendon change their plan, rather than what other clubs can offer this year.
I gave them a future first - and picks this year.

Suggest again, you go and read.

They cannot take back a first until after the bid is matched. Which means a future first only.

FWIW, I was told on Saturday that we are after the Giants picks 15 and 16 for our pick 8, my spy told me it’s genuinely the best draft since the Judd draft. If so, that beats the King draft, let’s hope we don’t pick the next Luke Molan!

Since that convo, the rumours about picks 2 and 3 have been floated in the media, will be interesting to hear what he/ she says, but I think that would probably not be for public consumption.

The other thing of course is live trading on the draft night, anything can and will happen.
This is still the most likely scenario, we want as many top end picks as we can get, how nice of the AFL to hand us possibly two first round draft picks for Battle!

The best player in the draft could be in this range, it’s that even. The more picks the merrier.

I gave them a future first - and picks this year.

Suggest again, you go and read.

They cannot take back a first until after the bid is matched. Which means a future first only.

I read it but other clubs can and will offer better....the idea is great but the reality is they will get better offers than ours.

Great but Rosa said they want other decent picks in this draft, other clubs can offer that WE CANT. Stringer wont get them a decent pick. I love how as supporters we get excited about our own deal but the blinkers completely come down with regards to what Essendon want to do and what other clubs might offer.

Pick 27 & 31 leaves them with pick 55 I dont think thats what they want. Plus they have Jayden Ngyuen as another NGA who has flown under the radar but should also be bid on.
Dons will get a 20% reduction on the 1644 at P7. So they will need to find 1315 points to match.

By trading with us the earliest the bid could come is P11. 1329 - 20% = 1063 points required.

27 = 703.
31 = 606.

Becomes roughly p52 - which comes in let’s say 10 spots to 42.

Let’s say our 47 becomes 40.

40+42 roughly + whatever else comes out in the stringer wash.

And our future first which is the 6th worst odds at $51 for the flag. Dees at $31.

Edited to add. We could also help by agreeing to bid on Lombard and push it back further

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Rosa actually sounds like a reasonable operator he also mentioned that if the offer presents ahead of the draft that’s good enough then they’ll take it.

If they wait until draft night at or just before their pick then their position weakens, if they go too early they might not get the best deal.

Best case is for them to wait until the pre-draft pick swap period or potentially the opening of draft night around Pick 1.

Would love to know what we have offered so far, is it just the Future 1st alone?

I’m comfortable with the club offering up to Future 1st + 27 (or Future 2nd) + Future 4th

We will likely get a Future 2nd back at some stage in live trading to balance it out.
Isn't there a limit on how many Futures you can trade out?

They do want more picks but if they trade #9 BEFORE a bid then those picks will be affected.

That is what you are ignoring & the crux of what I posted.

Maybe read what I posted about StK's role in this before throwing blinkers gibes out.

This is still the most likely scenario, we want as many top end picks as we can get, how nice of the AFL to hand us possibly two first round draft picks for Battle!

The best player in the draft could be in this range, it’s that even. The more picks the merrier.
Old mate Brian Speaking LOL
How many name changes & accounts have you had over the years even setting up under a different club LOL

I would be inclined to trade them F1, 27 and 47 for 9, 31 and the stringer pick if they get it.

If Kako gets to us we can guarantee we don’t bid. Thinks it’s unlikely he goes before our pick.

31 should get us McRae.

We might be able to slide back and pick up an extra pick if someone is trying to get someone we aren’t targeting.

Puts us in a great spot. Soldo for future picks.

They do want more picks but if they trade #9 BEFORE a bid then those picks will be affected.

That is what you are ignoring & the crux of what I posted.

Maybe read what I posted about StK's role in this before throwing blinkers gibes out.

What part of other clubs can offer picks that cover the Kako bid and Essendon still have sufficient points to get a decent player dont you understand. Do you actually understand how the system works - I think not!

An example just to pad it out to assist in your understanding -

Sydney pick #19 = 948 & pick #22 = 845 total points = 1793

Kako bid at #10 costs 1100 points.

1793-1100 =693 points eq to pick #27.

Wow look at that they get another early 2nd pick that would have been burnt if they took our deal.

Last edited:

Tells people to grow up.

Has no idea how the system works.

Gotcha.

What part of other clubs can offer picks that cover the Kako bid and Essendon still have sufficient points to get a decent player dont you understand. Do you actually understand how the system works - I think not!
What picks are Essendon trading #9 for in your scenario?

• Future third for Soldo

Thank goodness - something I can actually understand. :D
( I assume you mean future 3s over the next 2 seasons though? Would a team want to wait 2 years for a pick?)

Callum Twomey doesn’t predict successfully in a vacuum, he talks to clubs and contacts to work out what the clubs are going to do and then publishes it as his prediction. So all he do was find out what the saints intended to do and publish that. It’s not the saints following the media.

Interesting, in a competition where you have to find ways to beat your opponent ... I really don't see what gain there is by leaking who we are going to pick up.

I'd be more inclined to try to throw the opposition off as much as possible, not lay down a road for your opponents to be fully prepared.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back