List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems as though Saints are silently trolling the Bulldogs. The more they yap the louder the sounds of silence.

If Saints were concerned they would initiate talks. Waiting calmly reduces the time for a haggle to break down and increases the likelihood that one club caves in as the clock ticks down.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the same for the Soldo thing. We are saying and doing zilch. Nada. Not even a medical. Unbelievable.

It’s actually quite funny. The antithesis of urgency.

The posturing and backgrounding of the Bulldogs and the Power this trade period has been both public and robust. Whereas we have been eerily quiet.

I suspect the rhetoric of both the WB and PA is a sign of weakness. They want the players off their books. Saints are perfectly entitled to sit back, take stock and take our time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s also another way of us giving the league the middle finger.
“Yeah we’re not going to involve ourselves in your entertainment trade week, we’ll wait until the end cheers.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seems as though Saints are silently trolling the Bulldogs. The more they yap the louder the sounds of silence.

If Saints were concerned they would initiate talks. Waiting calmly reduces the time for a haggle to break down and increases the likelihood that one club caves in as the clock ticks down.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the same for the Soldo thing. We are saying and doing zilch. Nada. Not even a medical. Unbelievable.

It’s actually quite funny. The antithesis of urgency.

The posturing and backgrounding of the Bulldogs and the Power this trade period has been both public and robust. Whereas we have been eerily quiet.

I suspect the rhetoric of both the WB and PA is a sign of weakness. They want the players off their books. Saints are perfectly entitled to sit back, take stock and take our time.

I suspect as someone said a while back that now we’re trying to fence off Macrae and work out how we could get 9/11 etc and if 47 is needed for that.

Because I'm bored - a club by club analysis of what Essendon could receive for Pick 9, assuming they want to get out of the first round this year. Rosa has publicly said they have given up on trading up, and going back for reasons explained seems unlikely. Also assumes no players involved (e.g. Stringer/Shiel deals)

Adelaide - only real scenario I can see is Adelaide F1 for 9 + Ess F1. Seems unlikely either party would go for that.
Brisbane - F1 is too high, Brisbane will need points for picks next year
Carlton - would have to be F1 + F2, they need 34 for bids on Camporeale twins this year. Would need AFL approval to trade F1 and F2 away in same year as well. Also seems unlikely that a team with a contending list would throw away a bunch of future draft capital for other draft capital rather than an established player (like Houston), but it's certainly an option given the deep 2024 draft.
Collingwood - already likely going to trade their F1 to GC as part of Houston trade. If that fails then they could easily trade F1 to Essendon, but they might be hesitant as they'll need as many picks as possible to match a bid next year on a top 5 F/S. Could trade F1 if another future pick came back
Fremantle - likely not interested in trading future picks to stockpile for Warner trade chance next year
Geelong - F1 too high but could easily sweeten the deal with 38. Likely similar deal to what we would offer
Gold Coast - not trading future picks, will need points next year
GWS - See what plays out with the Stringer deal, but F1 + 37 is definitely an option. Essendon won't go for 15/16 as they'll get eaten by Kako bid
Hawthorn - could offer F1 + 33
North Melbourne - same as adelaide. Also feels as though they would not go for a F1 for 9 + Ess F1, especially if they can do a trade back with Richmond this year
Melbourne - Most likely in my view, Melbourne F1 + 28 for 9. Could even use a bunch of later picks instead of 28 to sweeten points deal for Essendon
Port Adelaide - could offer F1 + 39, but I think they would need special permission from the AFL due to how many first round picks they need to take in a certain time frame? Could be wrong.
Richmond - won't trade F1 under any circumstances.
St Kilda - 9 for St K F1 + 27
Sydney - F1 too high, and don't have a pick around the right mark for the Kako bid. Wouldn't trade 22, 59 not enough points
Western Bulldogs - F1 + 35 (or other pick they get for Macrae/Daniel) certainly an option
West Coast - same as Adelaide, but slide back to 9 is not desirable for WC (apparently)

Summary: Any of Geelong, GWS, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Port, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs could offer attractive deals for the Dons that would give them both a future 1st and a ~ 2nd round pick this year to match bids on Kako.

Depending on who you talk to, you'd think that a Melbourne, St Kilda or WB bid would be most appealing.

The most important thing to take away from all of this: Essendon will plenty of suitors and we're not going to be able to get away with a King's ransom for nothing
There are first rounders and then there are first rounders.

The Dogs just played finals and have talent aplenty. Would finish no worse than 10th and as high as the top 4.

Dees sat around the top 4 with Petracca fully fit. If Oliver is even half the player he was. They are top 6.

We require 23 contributors every week. We could be as high as 6th. We could be as low as 15th.

Our future first would easily represent the most value and that’s what is conveniently overlooked.

Because I'm bored - a club by club analysis of what Essendon could receive for Pick 9, assuming they want to get out of the first round this year. Rosa has publicly said they have given up on trading up, and going back for reasons explained seems unlikely. Also assumes no players involved (e.g. Stringer/Shiel deals)

Adelaide - only real scenario I can see is Adelaide F1 for 9 + Ess F1. Seems unlikely either party would go for that.
Carlton - would have to be F1 + F2, they need 34 for bids on Camporeale twins this year. Would need AFL approval to trade F1 and F2 away in same year as well. Also seems unlikely that a team with a contending list would throw away a bunch of future draft capital for other draft capital rather than an established player (like Houston), but it's certainly an option given the deep 2024 draft.
Collingwood - already likely going to trade their F1 to GC as part of Houston trade. If that fails then they could easily trade F1 to Essendon, but they might be hesitant as they'll need as many picks as possible to match a bid next year on a top 5 F/S. Could trade F1 if another future pick came back
Fremantle - likely not interested in trading future picks to stockpile for Warner trade chance next year
Geelong - F1 too high but could easily sweeten the deal with 38. Likely similar deal to what we would offer
GWS - See what plays out with the Stringer deal, but F1 + 37 is definitely an option. Essendon won't go for 15/16 as they'll get eaten by Kako bid
North Melbourne - same as adelaide. Also feels as though they would not go for a F1 for 9 + Ess F1, especially if they can do a trade back with Richmond this year
Melbourne - Most likely in my view, Melbourne F1 + 28 for 9. Could even use a bunch of later picks instead of 28 to sweeten points deal for Essendon
Port Adelaide - could offer F1 + 39, but I think they would need special permission from the AFL due to how many first round picks they need to take in a certain time frame? Could be wrong.
Sydney - F1 too high, and don't have a pick around the right mark for the Kako bid. Wouldn't trade 22, 59 not enough points
Western Bulldogs - F1 + 35 (or other pick they get for Macrae/Daniel) certainly an option
West Coast - same as Adelaide, but slide back to 9 is not desirable for WC (apparently)

Summary: Any of Geelong, GWS, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Port, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs could offer attractive deals for the Dons that would give them both a future 1st and a ~ 2nd round pick this year to match bids on Kako.

Depending on who you talk to, you'd think that a Melbourne, St Kilda or WB bid would be most appealing.

The most important thing to take away from all of this: Essendon will plenty of suitors and we're not going to be able to get away with a King's ransom for nothing
Jeez, if I were hawthorn I'd be trying to make that trade happen. Addressed their biggest weakness by bringing in to high quality KPDs and could add another promising mid to an already talented group.

That would be a massive haul for a team that narrowly missed a prelim with extrem upside.

There are first rounders and then there are first rounders.

The Dogs just played finals and have talent aplenty. Would finish no worse than 10th and as high as the top 4.

Dees sat around the top 4 with Petracca fully fit. If Oliver is even half the player he was. They are top 6.

We require 23 contributors every week. We could be as high as 6th. We could be as low as 15th.

Our future first would easily represent the most value and that’s what is conveniently overlooked.
Was literally about to post the exact same argument although with more of a Dees perspective. Whilst I hope we'll play finals, I definitely expect to see Dees and Dogs above us next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was literally about to post the exact same argument although with more of a Dees perspective. Whilst I hope we'll play finals, I definitely expect to see Dees and Dogs above us next year.
I think it’s conveniently overlooked.

But ultimately- sure Melbourne gets p9.

Would mean we could get p11.

Either way - it appears the club wants to get right into this draft.

P9 just appeals more because of the potential it offers having the 3 picks back to back.

Great post, another factor to consider is each clubs draft hand vs their list spots. they need to draft 3 players at least and doing that at pick 9 + 88 + 104 etc isn't ideal

Someone just called in to trade radio and asked about if Saints should trade a future first for Essendon's #9 and Damo just couldn't comprehend why Essendon would do that

lmao this guy has no idea
Consistently surprises me how people , whose job it is Integral to, have such little knowledge of AFL.
Remember watching , to my horror, one of those inside StKilda trade/draft hub videos from a few years ago, while one of the "experts" had explained to him the point system. Embarrassing stuff.
Barrett is a Muppet....and not even a good one.

Just when we thought we might have a chance at Balta next year

People criticised us for resigning King for 6, Balta is Barry a footballer. He’s just athletic and has good speed for his size. Would rather us draft Cole who has athelticism and speed and back us to turn him into a better version of Balta.

This must be fake news, Stavro said yesterday there was no chance he was staying at the Tigers.

(This is tongue in cheek I appreciate Stavros insight)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I had no insight.

It was more thinking that this is in the bag band 1 compo which would be pick 2.

People criticised us for resigning King for 6, Balta is Barry a footballer. He’s just athletic and has good speed for his size. Would rather us draft Cole who has athelticism and speed and back us to turn him into a better version of Balta.
I strongly disagree, Balta is solid defensively, a good interceptor, decent user of the ball and a handy forward to boot.
The chances of Cole being as good as him are very slim.

Start getting into the Isaac Kako highlights guys, this boy will be our new Milney, kicking bags for fun for St Kilda week in week out while the Dons fans tear their hair out!

He looks like a real livewire. I wouldn’t be opposed to us firing in a bid in for him.

It might as well be pick 7. Make Essendon pay up.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back