List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Sharp has requested a trade to the Dees from the Lions.

A quick look at the Dees draft hand is interesting and proves to anyone why Bassett absolutely should never have been criticised for his comments. I'll explain.

If Dees give Lions picks 28, 40, 49, 54 & 65 that is the equivalent of the Dees giving up pick 7 in points. BUT then, the 20% discount applies giving them the equivalentof 2128 points, pushing those points up to between pick 3 & 4 in value.

So in that example, Harry Sharp & pick 20 would go the the Dees and Lions get the equivalent of pick 3/4 in return.

I'd love for someone to put this to Damo Barrett on trade radio but I'm sure they wouldn't be able to get their head around it.

That’s a mountain of decent picks just for 20. If that were us, I’d honestly rather just push three of these into next year - you’d probably land a couple of F2s and a F3 at worst.

Who ever decided we would take a Sandy player each year should be sacked, the reality is Sandy won't have an AFL standard player every year & i'd also say didn't have one this year.

Drop the idea admit it won't work every year and move on list spots are vital.
The problem though is that not only do we want them to be AFL standard, but we have no rights to them. We still have to use a pick (can be rookie) and any oppo can pick them too. So if there’s only 1 decent prospect we either overpay for safety or we are stuck with the next best thing, which is probably a kid that wouldn’t get drafted at all.

The problem though is that not only do we want them to be AFL standard, but we have no rights to them. We still have to use a pick (can be rookie) and any oppo can pick them too. So if there’s only 1 decent prospect we either overpay for safety or we are stuck with the next best thing, which is probably a kid that wouldn’t get drafted at all.
Yep, it is a dumb idea that shouldn't have gotten past its initial concept stage.

The whole point is to attract better quality players to Sandy long term, which won't happen if we don't actually follow through with the commitment to add someone to our list. By showing it is a genuine path to an AFL contract, better players will come to Sandy instead of just the scraps.
We could probably expect more from the Sandy list manager, who evidently double hats as the coffee boy.

Get better rather than creating stupid rules just so that we can attract 5 18yo, none of which were drafted in the previous year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the club doesnt think that the 3 kids mentioned can fill the CHB position. Battle was nearly under sized for the position and they roll out those kids names. All three are just finding their feet playing a flankers role, thats a ridiculous thing for Misson to suggest.

Honestly Misson needs to be sent off to do some media training, he is about as interesting to listen to as someone eaking out their 'last wishes'.
Could also be playing draft funny buggers.

I agree that it doesn’t make much sense to me, but I think these interviews are worthless.

Just on Tim Membrey, I know everyone has their R U OK stickers on their car and everyone loves to talk about mental health but when push comes to shove, there's still a stigma around damaged goods.

A well known high profile supporter of beyond blue and many other mental health programs is an investor in my old company. I say my old company because I was let go due to my depression and anxiety issues. Do you think he did anything to intervene or actually care when push came to shove?

We have a long way to go as a society to erase the stigma associated with men's (mental) health and I would suggest that is part of the reason for the lack of interest in Membrey. People don't want to invest in damaged goods and that's very hard for me to say based on my current situation.
Well said

We could probably expect more from the Sandy list manager, who evidently double hats as the coffee boy.

Get better rather than creating stupid rules just so that we can attract 5 18yo, none of which were drafted in the previous year.
Almost as if this agreement is in place to help Sandy get better and attract more than a few local Sandy kids who weren't drafted.

Harry Sharp has requested a trade to the Dees from the Lions.

A quick look at the Dees draft hand is interesting and proves to anyone why Bassett absolutely should never have been criticised for his comments. I'll explain.

If Dees give Lions picks 28, 40, 49, 54 & 65 that is the equivalent of the Dees giving up pick 7 in points. BUT then, the 20% discount applies giving them the equivalentof 2128 points, pushing those points up to between pick 3 & 4 in value.

So in that example, Harry Sharp & pick 20 would go the the Dees and Lions get the equivalent of pick 3/4 in return.

I'd love for someone to put this to Damo Barrett on trade radio but I'm sure they wouldn't be able to get their head around it.
I love the way they just had to hold this stupid points value for one more year. I’m not convinced it is really fixed for 2025, but at least it’s something.

I haven’t checked but the Richmond - Brisbane trade … presumably Lions must be close to full points matching now, so they get Ashcroft and Marshall for pick 20 and their own second or something like that (pick 40-ish)?

Almost as if this agreement is in place to help Sandy get better and attract more than a few local Sandy kids who weren't drafted.
Could also just recruit other players and bring them in and actually make Sandy better. While my theory does face the risk of bringing in a half decent 25 yo, it falls short because we wouldn’t then get to draft a spud on to the list. Annually.

I find it funny that if you stick around here long enough to see the same narratives repeating. Ameet was our messiah for a few years, people were talking about how we finally have the right people in charge.

Gags was the banker wasn't he? We finally had someone smarter than the opposition clubs and our list would be managed to perfection.

Now both those guys are talked about like they were massive liabilities.

I remember when Newnes, Acres, Gresham, Webster, Bruce and co. were the building blocks of a premiership.

Now people are saying the exact same thing about Windy, Owens, Philipou, Wilson etc. And that this year we could complete our rebuild.

It's pretty fascinating how much group think takes hold of us all.

It does but I genuinely think we are light years ahead of where we were in the Richo era. I was chief of the naysayers on here and our standards across the board are so much better. Our list is in the best state it's been since Lyon left.

We had no footy department and terrible staffing across the footy roles with a board and executive that gave zero shits about on field results as long as it cost them nothing.

Could also just recruit other players and bring them in and actually make Sandy better. While my theory does face the risk of bringing in a half decent 25 yo, it falls short because we wouldn’t then get to draft a spud on to the list. Annually.
Do you really think Sandy hasn't just tried recruiting better players?

Let's use our critical thinking skills here. It clearly isn't that simple otherwise this extra agreement wouldn't have been created in the first place.

Don't you know the only way to get talent is through the draft? I mean the likes of Caminiti, Sharman and Wilkie aren't any indication that talent has various ways to get on an AFL list ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back