List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we can thank the people who gave honest feedback and made the powers that be see sense!
got this from Facebook

sliding doors

If...
the power of the supporter base was to change any mind of the football club

then...
the power of the supporter base should make sure the last 2 home games are sell outs to get behind the future of the club

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for the honesty of your response TP. You're right, elite sport is not a "right" - it's a job!! And the accountant, my reference there is what if Thomas was an accountant - would people be screaming for him to be banned from accountancy, or carpentry, or working as a store-man?

There seems to have evolved a culture amongst football followers off the back of "cancel culture" that transgressions of any nature committed by footballers must not just be subjected to the normal punitive measures that we all would be subjected to for the same transgression, but there must be some form of punitive action in their workplace as well.

For example, an accountant loses his license for drink driving - he must pay a fine, complete a sanctioned drink driving course, and take public transport to work until he regains his license.

A footballer in the same position is then also required to do some form of publicly visible community service (like talking to high school students about the evils of drink driving for a season) - there is expected to be some public act of contrition associated with their workplace!!

No-one expects the accountant to work out of the stationary storeroom at work for 6 months instead of his office so that everyone in his workplace can see how much he regrets his poor judgement.
An accountant isn't a public job though. An accountant isn't a role model.

An accountant isn't a public job though. An accountant isn't a role model.
You're right of course. That completely justifies the absurd theatrics football fans now demand of their clubs if a young player transgresses in some manner off the field.

You're right of course. That completely justifies the absurd theatrics football fans now demand of their clubs if a young player transgresses in some manner off the field.
Football is different. They're public figures

A public figure transgressing is going to be treated differently.

Surely we’re not the only club that has spoken to Thomas or his management? Is every other club going to come and say what their intentions are in regard to him?
We wouldn't be.

We were just stupid enough to get seen.

Not a chance thousands of actual members emailed, slippery slope from here for a bloody football club.
I reckon a fair few casuals emailed too, not like they would have been individually checking who's a signed member or even reading them after a certain point. I'm just saying that whether they were pursuing him or not, they had to come out and say something either way.

The statement we got was pretty piss poor but that's another conversation.

Edit: Not a slippery slope as football clubs are nothing without their members. So it makes sense that they are accountable to said members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Football is different. They're public figures

A public figure transgressing is going to be treated differently.
like a politician.....

we expect way less of them

Barnaby Joyce was filmed so pissed he was talking Braille to the sky on a public street and he hasn't missed a beat......
our very own Dan runs over ppl in his car and its barely mentioned

I reckon a fair few casuals emailed too, not like they would have been individually checking who's a signed member or even reading them after a certain point. I'm just saying that whether they were pursuing him or not, they had to come out and say something either way.

The statement we got was pretty piss poor but that's another conversation.

Edit: Not a slippery slope as football clubs are nothing without their members. So it makes sense that they are accountable to said members.
Our elected members make decisions on behalf of members. When you’re responding to pressure groups who may or may not have a connection to the club I’d say that’s utter madness. What next a player was spotted with a maga hat at training.

One thing strikes me: if I was working for a club meeting a controversial player to discuss his entry to the club, would I choose to meet him in "a big Carlton restaurant", guaranteed to be seen, noticed and commented on by multiple sources who know about football?

Not unless I wanted to be seen.

One thing strikes me: if I was working for a club meeting a controversial player to discuss his entry to the club, would I choose to meet him in "a big Carlton restaurant", guaranteed to be seen, noticed and commented on by multiple sources who know about football?

I still attribute it to stupidity.

I follow your logic, but what is gained from being seen ?

But why would you want to be seen talking to a divisive figure?

Not a chance thousands of actual members emailed, slippery slope from here for a bloody football club.
I guess a slippery slope is to ignore your stakeholders.
Sponsors, members and everybody associated with the women's team who we share premises with.

In today's world of video calling options it was probably a bit clumsy to be meeting publicly for lunch without the club all being onboard.

Some of the decision makers at this club too often seem to act before they think.

This bloke is a walking controversy and how we seemed to have been panicked out of recruiting him within 24 hours is so amateurish.

Like I'm glad we're not recruiting him but how was the club seemingly not prepared to deal with the consequences of looking at recruiting him if we couldn't handle the heat that was very obviously going to come with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back