2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
We shouldn’t be drafting on what if scenarios.

You take BPA and work out what your list needs from there.

100% I’m saying not to take bulk mids because we need mids. Take best available but if you pick 2 one position mids they will struggle to get much game time in the first 3 years. People are saying we should only pick mids.

Jobe Shanahan was on SEN, sounds like a great kid and a Saints supporter. Hope he slips to our second rounder.

I doubt he slips to the 2nd round full stop. Already playing well in the VFL as an 18 year old KPP. He kicked 5 goals for the Essenscum VFL team. If we had another pick in the teens we might get him.

A good list I think you could safely add Garcia and Hastie they are sure bets. Shoenmaker and Keeler better than 75% but Hotton is a complete unknown. Stocker and Dow had better have big pre seasons as they are the two on that table would be most at jeopardy of losing the positions in the side. Stocker seriously needs to drop 5-7kgs of bulk and trim down to get more run into his game, Dow just needs to stay on the paddock and perform.

I notice you havent included Max King just an over sight I gather.
Suppose he should be in there but I was looking from 2020 onwards.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Further to Jakes video. I put together a list of young player that I think will be our core going forward and where we are on age and game profile.

Others not included Collard, Hastie, Garcia, Shoenmaker, Hotton, Keeler, either too few or no games (although I think Garcia and Hastie will make it and Shoenmaker a chance, Keeler and Hotton not sure)

Also bare in mind, Higgins (43), Dow (73), Stocker (28) and Henry (43) all have played a number of seasons and games for other clubs

PlayerAgeHeightWeightGames
Jack Higgins25yr178cm82kg
79​
Cooper Sharman24yr194cm88kg
49​
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera21yr187cm76kg
63​
Mitch Owens21yr191cm91kg
53​
Marcus Windhager21yr185cm85kg
52​
Mattaes Phillipou19yr190cm89kg
37​
Anthony Caminiti20yr196cm85kg
33​
Liam Stocker24yr184cm86kg
39​
Paddy Dow24yr185cm83kg
10​
Liam Henry23yr180cm76kg
12​
Darcy Wilson18yr185cm74kg
23​

The age and games profile are looking pretty good for the above players, we add some young talent with two top rated mids, a swingman/ tall for a second, the NGA's and maybe FS and we have a good talented list of core players for the next decade.
No Max King

Opinion invalid - even though I agree with everything

I think Angus Hastie is criminally underrated on our board. We always talk about Nas & Sincs, also hoping Arie and McLennan keep improving. I almost never hear about Hastie, who burns up the track. He has that ability to play tall and small, and intercepts well, he may even be a bit taller than his 190cm listed height. He is a beautiful user of the footy and is quick and agile.

Hastie is absolutely one to watch this year and the fact we don't talk about him more is a shame. He's a big reason why I think TT as a half back is our least important position to pick a player in.

I think Angus Hastie is criminally underrated on our board. We always talk about Nas & Sincs, also hoping Arie and McLennan keep improving. I almost never hear about Hastie, who burns up the track. He has that ability to play tall and small, and intercepts well, he may even be a bit taller than his 190cm listed height. He is a beautiful user of the footy and is quick and agile.

Hastie is absolutely one to watch this year and the fact we don't talk about him more is a shame. He's a big reason why I think TT as a half back is our least important position to pick a player in.
Hastie will probably replace Wood in time.

Not quite like for like, but I see him on a wing going forward. Beautiful by foot.

IMO best case North take Tarau at 6 and we have 2 of Smillie/Langford/Reid to build our midfield on however if that doesn't happen and only one of those 3 is available at 7 who do we want at 8. Seems there are a couple of ways to go.

1. The next bunch of guys who could become midfielders
  • Travaglia - Standout HB possible he could move to midfield agile running machine out of HB
  • Lindsay - HB Wing with more mid credentials than other 2 very good kick strong up and back runner Darcy Wilson without the extreme running ability but a better kick.
  • Hotton - Fast can find the footy has lots of tricks and kicks goals - Is probably more forward than mid, ACL and very limited game time to assess

2. The Battle Replacement
  • Tarau - Athletic freak, brave and great in the air - Suspect kick and decision maker
  • Trainor - Elite user and interceptor controls the backline - Plays loose backs himself to read the play better than his opponent one on one questionable
NOTE: On Trainor and the Concussion this seems like it was a complete beat up possibly started by a club hoping he would slide. He doesn't even believe he was concussed, has no history of concussion, and is furious at all the misinformation impacting his draft position.

3. The short full forward who inexplicably multiple Bigfooty phantoms keep saying we need
  • Armstrong - Takes marks and kicks goals in big moments - Undersized by todays standards doesn't get up the ground much inconsistent output
Personally I really like Travaglia from the first group he seems to have gone off the boil on the hype train but he fits Ross's game plan perfectly and I think has the highest upside/chance of being elite. Trainor is my pick of the second group he just screams leader and that intercepting distributor role is critical in todays footy (Cole and Hoffman can do the lockdown roles).

I am OK with either of them.

Do not want Armstrong is this years Matt Jefferson had a few big moments in one game we all watched.
Don't think Lindsay ends up as a centre square mid and we have his skill set covered already
Tarau is athlete first and has a big upside I just prefer the footballer in Trainor
Hotton is just too many questions at 8
Travaglia and Tauru could be anything!

He is my tip to step up- a couple of Geelong folk associated with that club mentioned him over all other of our young players when we were talking about various young players coming through, there's something there to work with for sure.

Further to Jakes video. I put together a list of young player that I think will be our core going forward and where we are on age and game profile.

Others not included Collard, Hastie, Garcia, Shoenmaker, Hotton, Keeler, either too few or no games (although I think Garcia and Hastie will make it and Shoenmaker a chance, Keeler and Hotton not sure)

Also bare in mind, Higgins (43), Dow (73), Stocker (28) and Henry (43) all have played a number of seasons and games for other clubs

PlayerAgeHeightWeightGames
Jack Higgins25yr178cm82kg
79​
Cooper Sharman24yr194cm88kg
49​
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera21yr187cm76kg
63​
Mitch Owens21yr191cm91kg
53​
Marcus Windhager21yr185cm85kg
52​
Mattaes Phillipou19yr190cm89kg
37​
Anthony Caminiti20yr196cm85kg
33​
Liam Stocker24yr184cm86kg
39​
Paddy Dow24yr185cm83kg
10​
Liam Henry23yr180cm76kg
12​
Darcy Wilson18yr185cm74kg
23​

The age and games profile are looking pretty good for the above players, we add some young talent with two top rated mids, a swingman/ tall for a second, the NGA's and maybe FS and we have a good talented list of core players for the next decade.
paddy done a sneaky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could Tauru be a wingman? What's his tank like. We had an out and out wingman play key forward for 15 years in Riewoldt. Apart from the hair, this bloke reminds me so much of Roo when he marks it.

Could Tauru be a wingman? What's his tank like. We had an out and out wingman play key forward for 15 years in Riewoldt. Apart from the hair, this bloke reminds me so much of Roo when he marks it.

Athletic enough to, yes.

Reminds me of Mason Wood insofar as he’s played as an undersized key position player while not strictly being the size for it at the next level, but he really could play anywhere.

Hastie will probably replace Wood in time.

Not quite like for like, but I see him on a wing going forward. Beautiful by foot.
You aren't the only one. Remember Ross brought him into the side as a wingman and he said I've never played wing before, ever. Clearly the higher ups see what you see.

Personally, I still prefer him in the backline carving teams up out of defence.

Old Travalagabaglia could very much do what Hayden Young has done at Freo; transition into a big but athletic midfielder.

It’s a big gamble to take though, the old “could become a mid in time”.

Old Travalagabaglia could very much do what Hayden Young has done at Freo; transition into a big but athletic midfielder.

It’s a big gamble to take though, the old “could become a mid in time”.
Highly likely he’s just an intercepting rebounding half back. Watched a few games of him on ball this year and he’s a bit of a headless chook in there, very scrappy and iffy under immediate pressure (stoppages). Looks more at home on the half back line

100% I’m saying not to take bulk mids because we need mids. Take best available but if you pick 2 one position mids they will struggle to get much game time in the first 3 years. People are saying we should only pick mids.
But even if we pick Langford and Smillie.

It’s absolutely irrelevant considering the ages of Steele Macrae and the lack of any other genuine midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back