List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

9 years for King at the reported $1.1m will probably end up looking like the best bargain in the league.

Cap is going up significantly next year, to get band 1 compo you need your player to sign elsewhere for $900k+

Correct. Especially if King becomes the player we think he will be. At 23 years of age he is a baby in terms of developing key forwards.

The benefit for King will be long term security, some front ending of the contract which increases its relative value, and he stays at the club he wants to be at.

The club locks away a key pillar of their future, plans the salary cap long term, and spends any unspent war chest in the near term as part of a long term restructure.

Makes perfect sense for all parties.

Does anyone have the link of quote about Lance. Love to see it tbh.

IMO heā€™s had a fair enough first year. Inportantly heā€™s kicking goals most weeks. With some size and fitness think heā€™ll improve greatly
13 minute mark of gettable(link above),but all about saints from 12 minutes till the interviews(lombard)

Lyon has taken us backwards and should be criticised. If he makes Sunday the norm we'll all be praising him. Especially if he can bring on the kids with no step backwards. If he is here to improve our list, standards and backroom and he doesn't do what he's employed to do he should be held to account like any employee.

I get what you're saying, no one should be above review. Everyone understands this and accepts it. None of us in the Cult of Lyon want him to be untouchable, like Ratts was in our initial review iirc.

But no coach ever has done the above without slips and slides somewhere. There are always casualties and always lulls.

We need to assess with an understanding of the long term plan and the probable hurdles along the way. Most of us accept that our performance for most of the year has been poor, and where we differ is the cause.

The game plan needs to be assessed not just for it's current results but also the long term targets and we as a club need much more strength in the latter. I want us to have a rock hard system like the Cats Tigers and Swans, I believe that's where we're headed, and that's why I'm satisfied.

But no coach or team gets that without backward steps somewhere.

Got an interesting thought. If we get band one for battle would I be worth giving that to Gold Coast for there two early first round pick? They need to get ahead of the Lombard pick who would be right around our pick. I think it would be 8 and 12. So we go to the draft with 4/5 8 and 12 but loose battle

Nice idea. Well done. Gold Coast might not be able to convince other clubs with a single pick to do that.

They may want a bit more to even it up but the concept is good.

Of course, GC would insist on a ā€œgentlemenā€™s agreementā€ from us that we wouldnā€™t bid on their player with our first pick.

They would also demand the first of our two picks which would offset the need for steak knives to even up the trade.

huge show of faith from the club if true, given how much work is going to be required to get him in the 22
I would imagine they knew exactly that before they drafted him in the first place though.

I might be wrong here, but isn't Collars already signed on for 2 more years because he is technically a first rounder? Don't first rounders now get three years as standard or did I just make that up??

According to Twomey, Collardā€™s extension will contract him to the club until the end of 2027.

That is a massive commitment by the lad. Very heartening to hear that. Congratulations to all involved if it happens.

gringo2011 Henry is a Gop

Also Gringo. I am a draft watcher and this draft is shit.

FUTURE TRADING WATCH

CLUBS are expected to try to trade next year's first-round picks into this year's draft as recruiters grow more enamoured with the class of 2024.

Although there is no consensus on pick No.1 in this year's draft pool like Harley Reid last year, the depth of quality in the top 30 picks has clubs considering attempting moves to try to trade into this year's group using their picks in next year's pool.

The ability to trade two years in advance with draft selections, which is expected to be formally added to this year's exchange period in coming weeks, will also give clubs another chip to try and break into the top-end of the 2024 group.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

The largely strong run of games in the Marsh Under-18 Championships and even group of prospects has scouts happy with the best 30 players available and depth compared to some recent seasons.

Josh Smillie and Finn O'Sullivan are still considered the most likely candidates for the No.1 pick, but the likes of Luke Trainor, Sam Lalor, Murphy Reid, Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Bo Allan and Taj Hottonare also viewed as the top-10 contenders as well as Brisbane father-son Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast Academy's Leo Lombard.

Tall prospects Jack and Matt Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan, Alixzander Tauru, Noah Mraz and Harry Armstrong are all also seen as potential later first-round selections. ā€“ Callum Twomey

He kicked like 50.40 in his third full season.

Missed the first season with an ACL
18, 20, 22 in the next three seasons
11 last year after Dougal popped his shoulder - still came back and 2.5 a game even with his shoulder not being 100%
This year is his FIRST bad season, looks out of sorts, low on confidence and has had some niggles.

BUT WE ARE THE WORST TEAM AT LINKING UP WITH THE FORWARD HALF

Yes he can lead better but damn, leading to some of our mids and having them kick it 20m wide of you would make you stop leading as well :tearsofjoy:

It's probably a bit of both but you imagine that he's also playing to instruction. If they ask him to move around and he camps, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't get a game. He's playing a lot like Kosi did under Lyon as a static deep option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FUTURE TRADING WATCH

CLUBS are expected to try to trade next year's first-round picks into this year's draft as recruiters grow more enamoured with the class of 2024.

Although there is no consensus on pick No.1 in this year's draft pool like Harley Reid last year, the depth of quality in the top 30 picks has clubs considering attempting moves to try to trade into this year's group using their picks in next year's pool.

The ability to trade two years in advance with draft selections, which is expected to be formally added to this year's exchange period in coming weeks, will also give clubs another chip to try and break into the top-end of the 2024 group.

The largely strong run of games in the Marsh Under-18 Championships and even group of prospects has scouts happy with the best 30 players available and depth compared to some recent seasons.

Josh Smillie and Finn O'Sullivan are still considered the most likely candidates for the No.1 pick, but the likes of Luke Trainor, Sam Lalor, Murphy Reid, Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Bo Allan and Taj Hottonare also viewed as the top-10 contenders as well as Brisbane father-son Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast Academy's Leo Lombard.

Tall prospects Jack and Matt Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan, Alixzander Tauru, Noah Mraz and Harry Armstrong are all also seen as potential later first-round selections. ā€“ Callum Twomey

I said it's deep but has an ordinary front end Flaps. I know you're one who struggles with comprehension but that backs up what I said. I didn't say he's a GOP either. You said he was elite when he was just going. Live in your own fantasy land but don't expect me to respect your stupidity.

Got an interesting thought. If we get band one for battle would I be worth giving that to Gold Coast for there two early first round pick? They need to get ahead of the Lombard pick who would be right around our pick. I think it would be 8 and 12. So we go to the draft with 4/5 8 and 12 but loose battle

Not the worst idea. I think you could end up with 2 very good players. I guess it could be a stuff up if a couple slide out but you probably get 2 similar quality players with those.

FUTURE TRADING WATCH

The GCS list manager today when interviewed by Twomey said watchers are claiming U16 Champs talent was down in quality of past years at that age group. He also said the top 3 or 4 this year had separated themselves from other round 1 possibles, with the rest being a very even group. There were a few under ages playing in the U18 champs this year but not a lot have stood out like past years. In last years games Sid Draper was a star and made the AA team, he had no where near the same champs this year but is still rated a top 5 or 6 pick.

I think if you look at this years draft group to last year, the drop off in talent is quite stark at the top end. I think Gringo's draft comments are as a result of fear of missing out on the top end talent this year. Its hard because I believe last years draft will become known as a 'super draft' in years to come, but again its subjective and thats why the recruiters live or die on these assessments.

Every draft year there are players to be found, but perhaps we can read from the GCS managers comments, that recruiters expect the next couple of years to be a lessor quality. Having said that 2 years is a long time in young teenagers development.

Last edited:
I said it's deep but has an ordinary front end Flaps. I know you're one who struggles with comprehension but that backs up what I said. I didn't say he's a GOP either. You said he was elite when he was just going. Live in your own fantasy land but don't expect me to respect your stupidity.
You post from the Welcome Liam Henry thread

So far Henry has been disappointing and apart from a purple patch this season he looked like he would have been a delisted free agent type pick up.

Above is talking about his Freo days.

Delisted Free Agent sounds terribly like you thought he was worse than a GOP.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

FUTURE TRADING WATCH

When does tassy start getting all the draft picks? Is it 27 or 26? Clubs will start getting desperate

How does it have an ordinary front end if Twomey is literally reporting clubs want to trade into this draft.

No sane club burns futures firsts to get into a draft at pick 15+. They want to get in at the front end. They like the talent.

The entire time you have been chirping and been pushing this is a shit draft - You have preached shit like stkilda we will get more shit players and straight from the best source - it doesnā€™t appear to be the case. Twomey actually believes itā€™s loaded with talent, as do the list managers and recruiters he has spoken too.

So you are wrong.

Maybe back the people paid to do their job

The GCS list manager today when interviewed by Twomey said watchers are claiming U16 Champs talent was down in quality of past years at that age group. He also said the top 3 or 4 this year had separated themselves from other round 1 possibles, with the rest being a very even group. There were a few under ages playing in the U18 champs this year but not a lot have stood out like past years. In last years games Sid Draper was a star and made the AA team, he had no where near the same champs this year but is still rated a top 5 or 6 pick.

I think if you look at this years draft group to last year, the drop off in talent is quite stark at the top end. I think Gringo's draft comments are as a result of fear of missing out on the top end talent this year. Its hard because I believe last years draft will become known as a 'super draft' in years to come, but again its subjective and thats why the recruiters live or die on these assessments.

Every draft year there are players to be found, but perhaps we can read from the GCS managers comments, that recruiters expect the next couple of years to be a lessor quality. Having said that 2 years is a long time in young teenagers development.
Draper Oā€™Sullivan Lalor and a few others had injuries over summer. They never got a pre season. What they are contributing right now isnā€™t even close to surface level of their capabilities.

There was always an expectation that the talls would come late to the draft party and you are seeing a number of them.

In fairness he was sent back to peel and looked pretty damn average

I get what you're saying, no one should be above review. Everyone understands this and accepts it. None of us in the Cult of Lyon want him to be untouchable, like Ratts was in our initial review iirc.

But no coach ever has done the above without slips and slides somewhere. There are always casualties and always lulls.

We need to assess with an understanding of the long term plan and the probable hurdles along the way. Most of us accept that our performance for most of the year has been poor, and where we differ is the cause.

The game plan needs to be assessed not just for it's current results but also the long term targets and we as a club need much more strength in the latter. I want us to have a rock hard system like the Cats Tigers and Swans, I believe that's where we're headed, and that's why I'm satisfied.

But no coach or team gets that without backward steps somewhere.

He had injuries and gets this year excused but if he's not able to perform he should be under immense pressure. So should the entire board. They haven't been able to stick to a path in 13 years and we seem to be starting to wander off on tangents again.

After next year he will have had the same tenure as Rattan and at that point if he's not on track he should be moved on. We can't afford another rebuild and I don't think we need one.

I was one who wanted Lyon back and think he's still getting stuff right but he's not someone that should be left with zero checks and balances. His game style was absolutely putrid for most of the year and in an entertainment industry that's problematic.

He's got a much better list than anything Richo ever had and it's better than what Ratts had available but hasn't been able to move us forward.

I think the delisted free agent was referring to before his purple patch. He went from low production to getting 30 touches on a wing. I said lots before that about him and was happy we were targeting. Got shitted off when people were wanting to give up a high pick for him. He was good value in the end and has exceeded expectation.

In fairness he was sent back to peel and looked pretty damn average

I've got a Freo mate and he reckons that fans scapegoated him when he wasn't a star straight away. Blamed the fans for driving him out just as he came good. It sounds like he struggled as a small forward and the move to a wing turned his career around. Good reminder to give players like Collard time I guess.

Imagine if we ended up with pick 3 for Battle. Maybe we could get the next Jack Billings!
ill i feel sick GIF

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back