List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That assumes development of all those under 22 kids is linear and so next year we automatically go forward because ….thats what happens with linear progression
Problem with that theory…it’s BS as Lyon said when describing Pou in his latest presser …he’ll go backwards..forwards etc for a while yet
That “5-13” list has a 1 paced bottom 4 midfield- it’s nowhere near top 4 …that’s the real measure ….finishing 8th is a waste of time /making up numbers
A soft draw sugar hit like Bombers have this year does us no favours just so you can feel good about our future for 1 year …
We’ve danced around fixing these list holes for 10 years - I’m not interested in 1 year sugar hits ….im keen to see us finally be smart and amass sone younger elite talent preferably mids…
Anyhoo I’ve not read anyone on here suggest Lyon and coaching group shouldn’t be held to account. That’s just a lame excuse to criticise the coach who is not even a full 2 years into the gig yet
Lyon will get his 4 years and so he should then the club decides

You aren't going to get a list that will be best in the league. Waiting for a full rebuild will go nowhere again as there will always be sides that have more talent. North, GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane will keep adding more talent to a huge pool.

You're obviously happy waiting years hoping to make up ground on those other sides during a period that will have Tasmania taking bulk kids.

Geelong had a very average midfield in their flag year. Collingwood put together a list out of recycled players and good kids and even with huge injury losses that still start competitive.

Of course kids aren't linear but you are saying we have to cull players and bring in even more of them. We will have to replace 10 of our best players in 4 years and meanwhile guys like Ross are already needing to be replaced.

Lyon should be under scrutiny but given 4 years with no KPIs. Right, good argument.

Your plan won't see us win a flag anytime soon. Anyway, I can't be bothered arguing with you, you're a zealot.

I prefer stocker over Bonner, but doubt Bonner goes anywhere. I'd also be happy to lose cordy if battle stays, but cordy is contracted for another year

Both are GOPs but the way Bonner plays is probably more suited to our game style with his attacking HB game. Hill probably only has a year or two left so you imagine Nas or Wilson moves into his role and need cover for the HBFs. We should playing Stocker as an inside mid in the VFL and have him as depth like Jones.

Both are GOPs but the way Bonner plays is probably more suited to our game style with his attacking HB game. Hill probably only has a year or two left so you imagine Nas or Wilson moves into his role and need cover for the HBFs. We should playing Stocker as an inside mid in the VFL and have him as depth like Jones.
I reckon Hill goes another 5 comfortably. Maso will go long as well.

I reckon Hill goes another 5 comfortably. Maso will go long as well.

He'll be 32 at the start of next year and is a guy who's game is all about run. Can't see that style of player still going at 36 myself. I hope I'm wrong of course. He's finally earned his keep under Lyon. Hope you are right on Wood too. He's a culture setter, as is Hill.

You aren't going to get a list that will be best in the league. Waiting for a full rebuild will go nowhere again as there will always be sides that have more talent. North, GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane will keep adding more talent to a huge pool.

You're obviously happy waiting years hoping to make up ground on those other sides during a period that will have Tasmania taking bulk kids.

Geelong had a very average midfield in their flag year. Collingwood put together a list out of recycled players and good kids and even with huge injury losses that still start competitive.

Of course kids aren't linear but you are saying we have to cull players and bring in even more of them. We will have to replace 10 of our best players in 4 years and meanwhile guys like Ross are already needing to be replaced.

Lyon should be under scrutiny but given 4 years with no KPIs. Right, good argument.

Your plan won't see us win a flag anytime soon. Anyway, I can't be bothered arguing with you, you're a zealot.

Where are you getting this ‘Lyon has no KPIs’ business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS And just saw your comment, as it was quoted elsewhere and you are absolutely correct in that it should be Aboriginal people, advising on Aboriginal matters. I spent the best part of two decades in this area and firmly believe that our role was one of making ourselves redundant. I am happily long retired from this area now for many years and see many positives moving forwards.

The Saints are to be applauded for our First Nations welfare staff member and all that they do behind the scenes there. Brisbane when under Robert Walls came to Darwin and spent a weekend with me. Their plan was to make Brisbane the destination club for every Aboriginal player in the league. They wanted to do everything possible to not only better cater for their own draftees, but to set themselves up with the huge advantage of being the destination club for Aboriginal players. It is not unrealistic to think that the Saints could do this now to better cater for their First Nations players and to become a destination club, for those who aren't settled, don't feel at home, or just want to be part of the Saints story.

These days just an interested bystander, making random, slanderous and ill-informed comments lol. Once again no offence caused, as you are absolutely correct in what you said.

Thanks for the responses and I hope you have a wonderful trip. From my perspective, the Saints are setting up policies, programs and support for Aboriginal players as good as any club in the country, if not better. I would happily recommend my family members pursue a career with the Saints if offering them advice. Some clubs I would steer clear of. Thanks for your contribution to Aboriginal people as well.

He'll be 32 at the start of next year and is a guy who's game is all about run. Can't see that style of player still going at 36 myself. I hope I'm wrong of course. He's finally earned his keep under Lyon. Hope you are right on Wood too. He's a culture setter, as is Hill.
Given Hill doesn’t play a contested game, I think that’ll help his longevity. Also, from all reports he’s an elite preparer + seems to be highly invested in the club and the next wave of talent so I hope he’s good quite a few left. Wood also, albeit he does cop a few more collisions.

Given Hill doesn’t play a contested game, I think that’ll help his longevity. Also, from all reports he’s an elite preparer + seems to be highly invested in the club and the next wave of talent so I hope he’s good quite a few left. Wood also, albeit he does cop a few more collisions.
I’m expecting at least 2 more seasons.

This is from the AFL site in May...

THREE MORE FOR HILL

BRADLEY Hill is set to remain at St Kilda for at least three more seasons beyond 2024.

The 30-year-old moved from Fremantle at the end of 2019 on a bumper five-year deal, which expires in October.

But after a strong start to the season, the Saints are finalising a second contract for the durable West Australian, which is expected to be announced this month.

Hill will be contracted to RSEA Park until the end of 2027 once the paperwork for the three-year deal is completed at AFL headquarters, with Inside Trading reporting last month he was closing in on the new contract.

After playing 95 games for Hawthorn, where he won three premierships during the famous three-peat under Alastair Clarkson, Hill is now up to 92 appearances for the Saints, following 54 games in four years at the Dockers.

Hill has played at least 20 games in nine of 12 completed seasons – he played all 19 in 2020 – and is averaging 23.1 disposals, 4.9 inside 50s and 456.6 metres gained in 2024.

This contract extension will give Hill the chance to become only the ninth Indigenous man to play 300 VFL/AFL games, behind Shaun Burgoyne, Adam Goodes, Eddie Betts, Andrew McLeod, Lance Franklin, Michael O’Loughlin, Gavin Wanganeen and Shane Edwards.

St Kilda list manager Stephen Silvagni and head of talent and acquisition Graeme Allan locked in former top-10 pick Mattaes Phillipou for two more years last month and will now turn their focus to securing restricted free agent Josh Battle.

Seb Ross and Jimmy Webster are both out of contract this year and part an experienced group of players, including Tim Membrey, Dougal Howard, Mason Wood and Zak Jones, that are set to head into the second half of the year without deals for 2025. – Josh Gabelich

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's usually a calf or something that takes out old guys who run a lot. Hopefully as you say he's got year left because his presence at the club is probably worth as much as his footy. Seems to bring good vibes and energy to the group.

He made it up all he does is whinge about Ross

Unlike you who contributes what exactly? Apparently I can't comment on what I think of you but maybe just use the ignore function. I get warnings because of a few of you people who don't post about football can't stop whinging about what I post.

People whinged about George but he could run a forum better than what ever this place has turned into.

Don't flay me too hard.....but can we turn Lobb and his salary into a win for us and dogs.

Lobb and all his salary and dogs frdp circa 9 for our pick 24.

Or even better Bailey Smith and Lobb and pick 9 for the Battle pick 5 and 24.

We get probably Smith at 4 and potentially Lalor or Taj Hotton at 9.

Also just as a side issue not sure I want Lobb to begin with...but Bailey Smith yessir.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mighta thought Bailey Smith would've tried some new schtick while he's been outa the game. But that doesn't appear to be the case.

200 (41).gif

Don't flay me too hard.....but can we turn Lobb and his salary into a win for us and dogs.

070Fx3b.gif

Where are you getting this ‘Lyon has no KPIs’ business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd imagine any KPI's are around developing youth,and culture, both of which look on track to me at least. The regular blow-outs are also gone irrespective of personnel changes.
Last weeks game being the most impressive display in years suggests somthing is going right albeit a small sample size.

Obviously not thinks...Dr Spaceman.

Must admit do feel the same way. Did RTB coach him? If so his dance card is already marked, one way or another.

But we get Bailey S and still get 2 frdps as well.

So if that's the case best not eat anything before our games next year.

Also just as a side issue not sure I want Lobb to begin with...but Bailey Smith yessir.

Temper your expectations. Dogs don't have a 1stRDP and Baz probably unlikely to want RTB as a coach if given a choice.

I doubt they'd give away Lobb and a FRDP for taking over his contract. They paid pick 30 and a future second round pick for him in 2022. I think they'd give him away free for taking on his salary but can't see them stumping up a FRDP for him to go to another club.

I doubt they'd give away Lobb and a FRDP for taking over his contract. They paid pick 30 and a future second round pick for him in 2022. I think they'd give him away free for taking on his salary but can't see them stumping up a FRDP for him to go to another club.
They will probably eat some of his salary and take a token pick but I doubt there will be any cream on top of that. They will get some picks for Smith but given Geelong are hot favourites for his services it won’t be an early first.

Assuming we have two first rounders it always tempting to be the third wheel in some of these deals looking for a bit extra but I’m really hoping for once we just do the right thing and take our picks. This is the stuff that worry’s me about st Kilda, don’t blow a high draft pick getting greedy. I’d rather trade out of next years ist round if we’re looking for another first than start splitting picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back