2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely could fall through to us still anyway. If Jagga goes at one there is every chance that he could slide through. North would be very keen to get hold of Trainor. Draper to the Crows seems likely. One of Smilie or FOS are definitely a chance. WC is the probably the one who chooses between them and we get the scraps in that scenario.
Nas, Pou and Wilson were all the scraps. I like scraps.
I really do.

I guess winning means Battle potentially stays, bird in the hand etc etc etc

It is the thing I hate about the draft though, I'd love to see an NBA style lottery for everyone who misses finals.

Finishing eith pick 6 or worse probably means the FOS, Draper or Jagga dream is over.

There is still Lalor, Smillie, Langford, Trainor or Reid of the main names - so not all completely lost - but we really need to nail this one and only pick if that's how it ends up

I honestly reckon our second round pick could end up as good as our first. You get to pick more of your preferred options with high picks but this is a deep and even draft. Players in the 20s could end up some of the real cream.

Dalrymple has picked up Dylan Stephens and Logan McDonald with his two recent high picks at Sydney. His best success is Chad Warner at 39. The really good recruiters are usually solid with their high picks but what separates them is that they get maximum value from the later picks. That's why I rate Toce so much. He managed to find really high upside players with later picks.

Nas, Pou and Wilson were all the scraps. I like scraps.
I really do.

Yeah, for a club that seems to have luck punch in the balls and steal our wallet we've been extremely lucky with how the drafts have fallen in the last couple of years.

Garcia, Hastie, Keeler etc all look very likely too. McLennan, Hotton, Van Es types haven't set the world on fire yet but all would be unlucky not to stay on the list and have upside.

The only one I have questions about is Collard and not because he can't play. I think on talent he's got heaps of potential but go home factor and attitude might stop him reaching his peak with us.

I'm the opposite. I think FoS is the exact type of player we need.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not sold on Lalor but FOS is a freak. If he can get his body right he's probably the natural pick one. I reckon he's got Wardlaw potential where injury stops him being pick one despite being the best player in his draft.

Yeah, for a club that seems to have luck punch in the balls and steal our wallet we've been extremely lucky with how the drafts have fallen in the last couple of years.

Garcia, Hastie, Keeler etc all look very likely too. McLennan, Hotton, Van Es types haven't set the world on fire yet but all would be unlucky not to stay on the list and have upside.

The only one I have questions about is Collard and not because he can't play. I think on talent he's got heaps of potential but go home factor and attitude might stop him reaching his peak with us.
Yeah it's very unusual that 4 of our 1st year players are already identifiable as going to be decent.

Sorry to be a drag down but if we ended up with FoS and Lalor, that would be the worst of all the combo scenarios.
That would be on a par with Coffield and Clark.
Langford is miles ahead of Lalor IMO. Would rather Reid over Lalor. My opinion of course.
We need for Adelaide to get ahead of us. Really want a crack at Draper.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
No way, FOS and Lalor is a great combo. You haven't seen an injury-free FOS play, he's next level. Runs all day, great overhead, and clean below the knees. Pou & FOS would be in the mould of the Bont & Treloar combo

Lalor the potential game-breaking mid/fwd we lack has also been playing through injury but the sky is the limit for him, has all the attributes to be a superstar. Obviously high bust factor, but if we have two top 10 picks and are serious about wanting to challenge for a premiership in the coming years, we need to make some risky picks

I hate the thought of Reid arriving at the Saints, I'd almost give up on any chance of a premiership if we draft him. Langford is not miles ahead of Lalor, he's just been injury free

No way, FOS and Lalor is a great combo. You haven't seen an injury-free FOS play, he's next level. Runs all day, great overhead, and clean below the knees. Pou & FOS would be in the mould of the Bont & Treloar combo

Lalor the potential game-breaking mid/fwd we lack has also been playing through injury but the sky is the limit for him, has all the attributes to be a superstar. Obviously high bust factor, but if we have two top 10 picks and are serious about wanting to challenge for a premiership in the coming years, we need to make some risky picks

I hate the thought of Reid arriving at the Saints, I'd almost give up on any chance of a premiership if we draft him. Langford is not miles ahead of Lalor, he's just been injury free

I disagree on Langford and Lalor. Langford looks absolute low bust factor. He just doesn't play a bad game. That consistency should absolutely mark him up.

Lalor does some eye catching stuff but is so wildly inconsistent. He's probably got more of that X factor that could see him be an absolute superstar but could also see him bust. He's either Dusty or Dunstan IMO.

Reid just looks classy. He's got poise like Pendles or Dal Santo. The game seems to slow around him. I can see how he could be a Hunter Clark type of bust but I think his natural game sense is a step above HC. Hunts looked like a gun extractor in his draft year with his best work moving out of or through traffic. Reid seems to have a better outside game and a bit more poise and class.

I'm not sold on Lalor but FOS is a freak. If he can get his body right he's probably the natural pick one. I reckon he's got Wardlaw potential where injury stops him being pick one despite being the best player in his draft.

Lalor is the "type" of player we need, but so was Hobbs a couple of years back. God i'm glad we got Naz.
We don't just need a bull inside mid, we need a "good" bull inside mid.

I disagree on Langford and Lalor. Langford looks absolute low bust factor. He just doesn't play a bad game. That consistency should absolutely mark him up.

Lalor does some eye catching stuff but is so wildly inconsistent. He's probably got more of that X factor that could see him be an absolute superstar but could also see him bust. He's either Dusty or Dunstan IMO.

Reid just looks classy. He's got poise like Pendles or Dal Santo. The game seems to slow around him. I can see how he could be a Hunter Clark type of bust but I think his natural game sense is a step above HC. Hunts looked like a gun extractor in his draft year with his best work moving out of or through traffic. Reid seems to have a better outside game and a bit more poise and class.
I never said Langford has a bust factor - I agree that he's a safe pick, I've thought so since months ago - I just said he isn't miles ahead of Lalor. He is consistent, but his best games are no match for Lalor's best games. So its basically ceiling vs consistency with them two, but its silly to say he's miles ahead when they're almost objectively in the same draft range, especially since Lalor has been in this range for almost a year now and Langford has only just rocketed into contention

As I said, Lalor is also playing through injury so you have to consider that. Idk about Langford's health

Reid looks classy, yes, but is not what we need in the midfield. As good as his skills are, we do not need another slow mid rolling through there. For the record, I do think he'll be better than Clark, but even then, having both of them in there + a Pou or Steele would get killed on the spread by mids such as Butters, Rozee, Warner, Gulden. Plus, he will start his AFL career at half back and we have no room there to develop him

Lalor and OSullivan will be picked on last years form as they havent performed this year. OSullivan would be the obvious No 1 pick if he had not of been injured this year. Lalor is the high risk high reward type, so I can understand peoples hesitancy.

Thanks Gold Coast, now we're gonna end up with pick 6 which is objectively the worst pick to have in the top 10. And Battle is gonna re-sign so no compo pick. Another wasted year both on and off the field :)

I could see the Dees tanking to maximise their pick. They play GC in GC as there easiest game left Pies their last game. So they could even lose all their remaining games.

Lalor and OSullivan will be picked on last years form as they havent performed this year. OSullivan would be the obvious No 1 pick if he had not of been injured this year. Lalor is the high risk high reward type, so I can understand peoples hesitancy.
I have only seen FOS this year and his form has been underwhelming.
So in your opinion he has the skillset to be a number 1 pick without injuries, this makes me feel a bit more relaxed if because of these injuries he slides to our pick.
A bit more difficult with juniors but the old adage, form is temporary, class is permanent, may seem to apply here.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played a senior game last year for Koroit vs Warrnambool. Absolutely dominated. The other only kid I've seen dominate the way he did in Hampden league is Hugh McCluggage.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Participation in this board's attempt at a phantom draft has given me the impression that although the first two rounds are quite deep in quality, it quickly dries up after that.

Although admittedly my research starts and ends with footy media's take on the the top 30, hopefully our scouts are a bit more resourceful!

Participation in this board's attempt at a phantom draft has given me the impression that although the first two rounds are quite deep in quality, it quickly dries up after that.

Although admittedly my research starts and ends with footy media's take on the the top 30, hopefully our scouts are a bit more resourceful!
Every draft is a crapshoot after 30.

Nah there is definitely talent after Round 2, the media just doesn't promote it because of how even it is at that point. There are plenty of high quality players that could easily push the second round that haven't been selected in the phantom draft

Every draft is a crapshoot after 30.

Thats the thing every draft is different and this years group there will be kids taken in the 50's that might have been considered around 30 in past years. To make such broad statements is simply not accurate and misleading.

As an example the draft year Allison was taken in at #26 - 2020 was really shallow and washed out before he was taken. Some punters are suggesting next years draft will be similiar.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back