List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see how trading Steele takes us forward. Trying to address our midfield issues by loosing our only mature reliable mid seems counterproductive. I don’t see any club paying overs for his services. At best we get a mid to late first rounder and if lucky an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder. Then as a result morale of the senior players would be sapped. Supporters would we be unhappy at losing our captain. And the halfwit AFL media would pile on.

Steele will be better when he has more help. It’s a big if, but if we get 2 A grade mids (likely through the draft) the midfield changes dramatically.
It doesnt. It's just trolling at this point to suggest we trade our only good midfielder and captain.

Problem is that the current climate means that if you miss the opportunity to trade out some good players at the end of your previous run, you can't get enough goodies at the draft to get you back up again.
We've been stuck in the vally of death and we have to hope our drafting acumen is going to be the difference maker or we'll have to go full Norff Melbourne after Tassie's draft concessions normalise.
Get it wrong and we may as well pack up camp for the next decade.
Yes, entirely agree. I realise now my post was unclear which way I was going. Go hard at the draft.

what assets do we hold that are currently worth a first rounder
Battle via compo

Steele Wilkie Marshall Sinclair from the older brigade.

Nas Owens Pou Higgins Wilson King and probably Caminiti if I’m honest from the younger brigade

Yeah and I agree.

But landing one is very hard. You can’t rely on planning

I know we had a few out who would make us better.

But I’m seriously deflated after yesterday. It was a real genuine, wtf are we doing moment.

Love Battle. Love Steele.

But Battle was probably our best. Had it 24 times.

Yet Andrews impact was so much greater from his 18 touches.

Steele is a shadow of the 2020/21 AA.

I just don’t want to go down this road where we try and make finals with half the talent of everyone else.

Yeah we might blow the picks. But right now it’s like running on a hamster wheel. We know our ceiling. We need more than 1 good first rounder each year.

I’d seriously let Battle go. Trade Steele.

Bring in both Shiel and Macrae for more senior support and I’d absolutely do my due diligence on Oliver if a first rounder is attached.

We have to go all in on a draft. Tassie is coming and if we keep the path we are on, we will sink when Tassie dilutes the draft.
Agree, my post wasn’t clear that I meant going hard at the draft rather than going hard for the short term. I wouldn’t even waste picks on Shiel, who is constantly injured, and Macrae where the game has probably gone past his snail movement and little sideways kicks. Perhaps find someone for free? Lyons?

I am really beginning to think with Brisbane, GC, North getting more free hits ( honestly blows my mind how no one in the media talks about it with any conviction ) on top of Tassie coming in that re-signing Battle / keeping Steele is a big mistake. Love both of them but we aren't winning anything while they are in their prime while we don't have a midfield period. Yesterday should have smacked the rose colored glasses off anyones face. Max has his issues to work on but 100% going to waste his talent and primes years without decent supply.

Are dual elite midfielders guaranteed at the draft hell no, but it's a damn sight more likely than digging up anything other than a potato at Moorabbin over the next 5 years.
Agree re: hopefully burning down any remaining potential for us to try and top up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle via compo

Steele Wilkie Marshall Sinclair from the older brigade.

Nas Owens Pou Higgins Wilson King and probably Caminiti if I’m honest from the younger brigade
I’d maybe let Sinkers go for a first out of that lot and add it to the Battle compo.
3 X firsts would look 👀 yummy. 😋

Is there any possibility of a salary dump deal?
Of course there is.

But let’s be honest. The biggest whale for that type of deal is Oliver and that would be like standing on a grenade from WWII.

It may go off. It may not.

Last edited:
I love Max but i think it is worth exploring as i think we need mids more than we need to keep him, and it could help us move forward quicker.
Nope, terrible idea. We would be trading him at his lowest ever value. Let the guys who aren't the faces of our list like Battle leave to restock on mids. King is a generational talent, doesn't matter whether we are getting the most out of him or not, a list like ours where we are so starved of star power does NOT let players like him walk for cheap

Of course there is.

But let’s be honest. The biggest whale for that type of deal is Oliver and that would be like standing on a grenade from WWII.

It may go off. It may not.
Ahhh what the hell lets give it a shot, can't be any worse than trailing off into obscurity for the next decade watching Tassie win their first ;)

Nope, terrible idea. We would be trading him at his lowest ever value. Let the guys who aren't the faces of our list like Battle leave to restock on mids. King is a generational talent, doesn't matter whether we are getting the most out of him or not, a list like ours where we are so starved of star power does NOT let players like him walk for cheap
You are getting his potential confused with actual proven ability . If we are keen to trade out to get more draft picks, KING should be the first to go IMO. Having said that its not going to happen so its a wasted discussion.

You are getting his potential confused with actual proven ability . If we are keen to trade out to get more draft picks, KING should be the first to go IMO. Having said that its not going to happen so its a wasted discussion.
You are getting his proven ability confused with contact injuries and flawed up-field personnel. He will re-sign and be a one-club player at St Kilda

Losing Battle and trading Steele would be a good way to destroy the fabric of the club

It seems like the most St Kilda logic ever. The only way to get better is to nose dive the club.

The competition is the most even it's ever been, you are much better to stay close and try to make a run at while drafting and trading in bits. Port Adelaide are able to attract players to them because they always look around the mark.

Gambling is not the way forward. Gambling is how you send yourself broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back