List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battle via compo

Steele Wilkie Marshall Sinclair from the older brigade.

Nas Owens Pou Higgins Wilson King and probably Caminiti if I’m honest from the younger brigade
Looks a pretty simple equation to me. The most expendable on that list is the one most likely to land us a first.

It seems like the most St Kilda logic ever. The only way to get better is to nose dive the club.

The competition is the most even it's ever been, you are much better to stay close and try to make a run at while drafting and trading in bits. Port Adelaide are able to attract players to them because they always look around the mark.

Gambling is not the way forward. Gambling is how you send yourself broke.
You do understand you have made a sweeping statement and just applied it to us.

So let’s be factual. Yes the competition is even.

We - however are currently 4 wins out from 8th position. This is likely to become 5 wins from 8th by seasons end.

So we need to find 5 more wins - with the likelihood we aren’t trading a first round pick.

What scenario seems the smarter play here.

A) doubling down on what we have and trading our f1 for a mid like Tim Taranto and hoping that’s a +5 win addition or draft with our sole first rounder and hope we win the lottery with this pick & retain everyone else. Who is now a year older and worth less.

Or

B) trading out a player, letting Battle leave or both to take a step back. Load up on kids before Tassie comes.

It seems like the most St Kilda logic ever. The only way to get better is to nose dive the club.

The competition is the most even it's ever been, you are much better to stay close and try to make a run at while drafting and trading in bits. Port Adelaide are able to attract players to them because they always look around the mark.

Gambling is not the way forward. Gambling is how you send yourself broke.

Steele & Battle played yesterday it made no difference to the result, time to be brave and move on bank as many midfielders that we can & prop them up with experienced 30 year olds.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Steele & Battle played yesterday it made no difference to the result, time to be brave and move on bank as many midfielders that we can & prop them up with experienced 30 year olds.

This is what I’d do.

Yesterday was sickening the gap between the sides and they will get another absolute stud mid.

This is what I’d do.

Yesterday was sickening the gap between the sides and they will get another absolute stud mid.

I dont want to lose any first 22 talent but if Im honest Jack's attitude has been less than convincing this year. He rarely looks like he is enjoying himself out on the field, even if he doesnt leave I would be taking the Captaincy off him. Some people thrive with the pressures of the role, for others its a burden and I think Jack is the latter.

I dont want to lose any first 22 talent but if Im honest Jack's attitude has been less than convincing this year. He rarely looks like he is enjoying himself out on the field, even if he doesnt leave I would be taking the Captaincy off him. Some people thrive with the pressures of the role, for others its a burden and I think Jack is the latter.
The players decide who is captain.

Not necessarily but in our current situation I can’t see how the potential positives justify parting ways with two of our leaders (and best players).

Our recent drafting has provided us with a decent young core to build around. Yes we’ve taken a step back this year, but we aren’t far off finals and should be competing for a 6-8 spot next year.

Our established players (Steele, Wilkie, Sincs, Roma, Battle etc) are the reason we’re not a bottom 4 side. We’ve seen how Melbourne and North fared in the past when they rid their list of experience for some extra picks, why would we risk bottoming out again?

Sure an extra first rounder or two sounds nice but we cannot compromise the development of our kids by throwing them to the wolves. Trading Steele would be ruthless.

IMO, we need the likes of King, Windy, Chito etc to take the next step and hope to have a quick bounce up the ladder. Will be a lot easier to attract elite talent if we’re competing for finals.
FWIW l agree entirely. But playing Devil's advocate l can say our group of leaders is about the worst in the league, perhaps Wilkie being the exception.
As l punter l can't tell if we're 5% off or 50% and I'll defer to the coaching panel who are in the position to know. But like you my instinct says don't rip the guts out of the squad. However if that becomes the direction then l won't criticise, because it will be for a good reason.
To me the under 24's are the untouchables. The rest, not so much.

The players decide who is captain.

Well done, the club ratifies their decision. Im sure if it was pointed out to Jack that it was effecting his football he wouldnt nominate. The players also decide where they go on a preseason holiday, HTF does that affect the season he's had.

You do understand you have made a sweeping statement and just applied it to us.

So let’s be factual. Yes the competition is even.

We - however are currently 4 wins out from 8th position. This is likely to become 5 wins from 8th by seasons end.

So we need to find 5 more wins - with the likelihood we aren’t trading a first round pick.

What scenario seems the smarter play here.

A) doubling down on what we have and trading our f1 for a mid like Tim Taranto and hoping that’s a +5 win addition or draft with our sole first rounder and hope we win the lottery with this pick & retain everyone else. Who is now a year older and worth less.

Or

B) trading out a player, letting Battle leave or both to take a step back. Load up on kids before Tassie comes.

There aren't only two choices "I can't afford rent so I either have to bet the rest of my wage on the horses or get drunk and pretend it will go away"

Keep drafting with what we have and get the picks right and keep trying to find bargain additions to step up next year while developing what we have. That's a sensible middle road.

We had an extraordinarily bad injury run and we should start to see guys that have been on the list more than a couple of seasons start to move forward. We were around the mark once we got players back.

I'd rather look on the rise and try to tempt a player like LDU over a bottom out. We should look at the staff if they keep setting the bar lower.

There aren't only two choices "I can't afford rent so I either have to bet the rest of my wage on the horses or get drunk and pretend it will go away"

Keep drafting with what we have and get the picks right and keep trying to find bargain additions to step up next year while developing what we have. That's a sensible middle road.

We had an extraordinarily bad injury run and we should start to see guys that have been on the list more than a couple of seasons start to move forward. We were around the mark once we got players back.

I'd rather look on the rise and try to tempt a player like LDU over a bottom out. We should look at the staff if they keep setting the bar lower.

Yep

Because here's the thing..... go the other way and get the picks wrong and you're f*cked. Plain and simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it too late to draft Marcus Ashcroft, sit him on the bench for 100 games and grab some father sons?

If you can’t afford rent, find a cheaper home And if we miss finals next year. Which your entire premise banks on, we also lose:

Pick 6 for Battle.
Maximum currency for any other senior players we POTENTIALLY could trade.

The time to make the move is now. In a draft full of mids.

If we don’t land a gun free agent mid. Your entire plan has just sunk us into the Tassie drafts

With Steele Marshall Sinclair all 31 and Wilkie 30 in 2026.

Your literally planting us in hell

There you go.

So it’s as I posted in June it seems.

For clarity - because there are a few Kunty types on here.

View attachment 2069599
Yesterday’s demolishing completely confirmed for me that I am willing to let Josh go for a number 6 compo pick.
We need some extra picks for some very good mids otherwise we are going absolutely nowhere….fast.

Ok with Battle leaving. But in our quest for a decent midfield I’m not letting go of the best we’ve currently got.
That’s a completely self-defeating strategy.

Mr Bean Reaction GIF

If you can’t afford rent, find a cheaper home And if we miss finals next year. Which your entire premise banks on, we also lose:

Pick 6 for Battle.
Maximum currency for any other senior players we POTENTIALLY could trade.

The time to make the move is now. In a draft full of mids.

If we don’t land a gun free agent mid. Your entire plan has just sunk us into the Tassie drafts

With Steele Marshall Sinclair all 31 and Wilkie 30 in 2026.

Your literally planting us in hell
Must trade a year early for maximum value, a year late and you get very little in comparison. We also need to identify the teams who are contending have a need and have the capital.

We need to get picks 4 and 5, take those to the draftand trade for McCrae.
Keep Steele, but trade King for 2 firsts, split the top ten for two firsts.

Keep Steele, keep Jones and Clark.

Go to the draft with 5 first rounders.

Next year's midfield, Steele, McCrae, Clark, Phillipou, Jones and 4 or 5 frdp mids.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to get picks 4 and 5, take those to the draftand trade for McCrae.
Keep Steele, but trade King for 2 firsts, split the top ten for two firsts.

Keep Steele, keep Jones and Clark.

Go to the draft with 5 first rounders.

Next year's midfield, Steele, McCrae, Clark, Phillipou, Jones and 4 or 5 frdp mids.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is why I hang out here. Do you replace Max?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back