List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interest in Shiel and Macrae for hotdogs can cover the competitiveness.

Look at and explore an Oliver with a first rounder attached.

There are ways around that competitive point in the short term that bridges the gap for the talent.

Missing out on all the free agent talent makes the path really simple for me.

Every chance we miss finals with Steele and Battle still with us. Why not load up in a good draft and trade smartly?

As long as we hold the club, coach and board to account. They live and die by their decisions and if they send us further backwards we really need to make a big call on Ross. The list should be more competitive than it is. He has a better list than Ratts and he needs to start making something of it or move on.

He's been given everything our other coaches have been denied and sent us backwards so far. He gets this year as a write off for injury to mids and forwards but he doesn't get that for ever. He can't choose to cull the list and cry poor.

Oliver would be an absolute **** up. He's barely AFL standard at the moment. I can't see him turn his life around because he really wants to see the Saints move forward. He'd probably need to find something stronger.

As long as we hold the club, coach and board to account. They live and die by their decisions and if they send us further backwards we really need to make a big call on Ross. The list should be more competitive than it is. He has a better list than Ratts and he needs to start making something of it or move on.

He's been given everything our other coaches have been denied and sent us backwards so far. He gets this year as a write off for injury to mids and forwards but he doesn't get that for ever. He can't choose to cull the list and cry poor.

Oliver would be an absolute **** up. He's barely AFL standard at the moment. I can't see him turn his life around because he really wants to see the Saints move forward. He'd probably need to find something stronger.
The list is better because of the kids he is developing and it’s hard to gauge when that will translate into consistency in performances.

But the green shots are very good and we should continue to feed Ross quality first round kids and let him do the hard work with them

My dream off-season would be trade King, get Battle comp, trade for Oliver.

End up with potentially 4-5 early picks, and if Oliver is back to 80%-90% of his best we are already better next year.

We won't miss King, and Battle is good but let's invest in Schoenmaker, he will he a player.

In 2 years if Wilkie, Sincs, Marshall hold there form we should be contending.

We would never do the King or Oliver trades but has massive potential upside if we get it right.
Pack it up. Coooooked!

Trading King would be the worst move in the history of the club.
Hawks and Swans both have had awesome years with no quality big forward forward targets. Pies won a flag last year without any big forward targets. Gun big forwards are the last priority on your list, particularly ones that don't apply any defensive pressure.

To suggest trading a slightly above average forward the worst move in the history of the club seems a little bit extreme. King is the third worst player in the league for his opponent marking the ball this year. That is putrid. I don't know who you are watching, but it has been glaringly obvious for some time that King is not elite.

Also, you do realise if we trade King we get something back. If we got pick 2 back we pretty much guarantee a gun midfielder.

We have neglected the midfield for over a decade and we have 1 high quality prospect in Pou. Cupboard is bare. Dow, Clark, types are not good enough. Windy will be solid but he doesn't have any major weapons.

We dont just need 1 mid, we need another 3 or 4 gun peospects if we are any hope. We are going to have to give something up.

Pack it up. Coooooked!
What is cooked is we have been rebuilding for 13 years and have 1 elite mid prospect.

We have an opportunity to potentially be good in 2-3 years when Sincs, Marshall and Wilkie are still just in there prime.

We have got to get 3-4 mids in now, otherwise we lose prime of our 3 best players and start to fall back down.

If it blows up, who cares. We are irrelevant already.

The list is better because of the kids he is developing and it’s hard to gauge when that will translate into consistency in performances.

But the green shots are very good and we should continue to feed Ross quality first round kids and let him do the hard work with them

Of course we should. That goes without saying. Drafting and development are absolute baseline. It shouldn't be the only stream but it's absolutely the foundation work to list building.

Look I will humour it, but would the AFL even let Tarryn Thomas come back into the league?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is cooked is we have been rebuilding for 13 years and have 1 elite mid prospect.

We have an opportunity to potentially be good in 2-3 years when Sincs, Marshall and Wilkie are still just in there prime.

We have got to get 3-4 mids in now, otherwise we lose prime of our 3 best players and start to fall back down.

If it blows up, who cares. We are irrelevant already.

We should be competitive next year if we get a good injury run. We had an incredibly unlucky hit to mids. Henry, Steele, Sinclair, Crouch, Clark, Jones, Windhager, Dow, Wood and Phillipou all injured for at least part of the year.

Similar to the forwards with King, Hammer, Hayes, Butler, Membrey all injured and Snags suspended.

You'd hope the training services get a hard review in the off season.

We should be competitive next year if we get a good injury run. We had an incredibly unlucky hit to mids. Henry, Steele, Sinclair, Crouch, Clark, Jones, Windhager, Dow, Wood and Phillipou all injured for at least part of the year.

Similar to the forwards with King, Hammer, Hayes, Butler, Membrey all injured and Snags suspended.

You'd hope the training services get a hard review in the off season.
No one wants to be “competitive”.

People want to be contenders

Huge difference

I would be deeply disappointed.

I believe in second and even third or fourth chances on occasions but Thomas is on about his 6th go at it now. The guy's has only demonstrated to date that he's a total scumbag.

He has had so many chances.
Only so many times you can hope for different outcomes.

I don't believe any club should pick him up. Even if they were given the green light by the AFL.

What message does that send? Bad enough the likes of Carey got protected by his media buddies. But to allow Thomas back on to the field?
I think it would be the moment I walk away.

No one wants to be “competitive”.

People want to be contenders

Huge difference

When all the older guys step out in 3 to 4 years we will probably tumble down. I'd rather remain competitive while attracting in players. Until you create momentum, no-one wants to come to us.

We stuffed up drafting through the national draft since we took Brendan Goddard. We wasted years of picks and had to make up a side out of rookies and ring ins. We don't now have to go back to only drafting.

We need to keep being good at the stuff we do well and then make the draft work for us at the same time. Then once we look on the way forward grab FAs and really target high end players.

Players like LDU should have us in his ear the whole year ready to pounce while selling him our vision and showing how close we are by performing on field.

To me we have to make a charge while Wilkie, Marshall, Sinclair and Steele are still capable of a finals run. 4 years is probably the max amount of time we have. If we aren't progressing next year I think we should find younger more visionary coach. The list looks fine on paper and like it should be around the mark. We need injury luck but that is like every club and the youth to keep progressing.

If King, Windhager, Owens, Wilson, Nas, Phillpou, Henry types all take a step forward we are already a big step forward and add some midfield availability and hopefully a couple of players and we are already starting to look a lot better.

Dropping down the ladder for 5 years while Tasmania sucks up all the draft talent is exactly how Pelican stuffed us up. He was going to build a premiership list too.

Hawks and Swans both have had awesome years with no quality big forward forward targets. Pies won a flag last year without any big forward targets. Gun big forwards are the last priority on your list, particularly ones that don't apply any defensive pressure.

To suggest trading a slightly above average forward the worst move in the history of the club seems a little bit extreme. King is the third worst player in the league for his opponent marking the ball this year. That is putrid. I don't know who you are watching, but it has been glaringly obvious for some time that King is not elite.

Also, you do realise if we trade King we get something back. If we got pick 2 back we pretty much guarantee a gun midfielder.

We have neglected the midfield for over a decade and we have 1 high quality prospect in Pou. Cupboard is bare. Dow, Clark, types are not good enough. Windy will be solid but he doesn't have any major weapons.

We dont just need 1 mid, we need another 3 or 4 gun peospects if we are any hope. We are going to have to give something up.
Aside from the fact that it's absolutely moot as the club has already stated he is going to re-sign a long term deal soon, don't you think it would be kind of stupid to trade out one of the best young forwards in the league without seeing what he can do with a good midfield? How many young forwards have kicked as many bags as him? He has made the best defenders int he comp look amateur at times throughout his career, has been ****ed about by injury over the last two years so we just trade him out? It would be insanity.

The Hawks and Swans that you mention would bite our hands off if we offered him up for trade.

Aside from the fact that it's absolutely moot as the club has already stated he is going to re-sign a long term deal soon, don't you think it would be kind of stupid to trade out one of the best young forwards in the league without seeing what he can do with a good midfield? How many young forwards have kicked as many bags as him? He has made the best defenders int he comp look amateur at times throughout his career, has been ****ed about by injury over the last two years so we just trade him out? It would be insanity.

The Hawks and Swans that you mention would bite our hands off if we offered him up for trade.

It's no more stupid than most of the stuff we debate here. If we wanted to gamble it's a way to bring in a lot of currency.

We have really never reached the ultimate since '66, though close enough seems to satisfy some Sainters sadly. We need to do whatever it takes to get a premiership-worthy team on the track, no matter how ruthless in trades it might seem. We need the players and the coach to do it, and the ingredients are not there at the moment, so it could be a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back