List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Father Son rule is great, but clubs should pay market rate.
Do that by forcing clubs to hold a pick of that value.
Market rate fluctuates so the only way is to make them trade for that pick (if they don't hold it) is to go to the market.
Once they hold that pick they can get their FS with it.
So the fair method is to use the existing market trade mechanisms, and eliminate the FS rule.

Found this on Facebook

Agree with he is a huge risk, but have anyone thought WHY we have to scrape the barrel for talent?
Brisbane beat smashed us and are flag favourites but get the best mid in the draft in Ashcroft for chump change.
Bulldogs beat us destroyed us earlier this year are second flag favourites but got JUH for free and get a bunch of Darcy's for bugger all in picks
Premiers Collingwood got two Daicos and Moore for chump picks.
Northern clubs get all the NGA's they want for free, we miss out on McKenzie.
North destroy their list on purpose and get multiple free dps.
WHAT DO WE GET? SFA and we have to look at TT or Clayton Oliver or get rid of Battle for an extra pick or talent like King or Rohan for two.
How do you feel as a Saints fan to know the AFL purposely allows the favoured clubs to get this top ten players for 2nd and third round picks AND also keep their first rounder?
They want us just to exist for TV rights. Kane and Dillon won't change this rort, they are allowing this to happen again this year.

So we are forced to look at Thomas or Oliver as we don't get free players like these other clubs.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
You blatantly wrote that yourself! Textbook JB lol

Without having looked at it...
Each club should only have 1.22 players in there on average anyway.
And you'd expect the expansion clubs to have 2 or 3 given all the picks they've had.

Would be nice, but no biggie. I'm fairly happy with the players you've mentioned at the picks we took them.
The squad is 40, and yes, all things being equal, you could spread that evenly across the comp, but we're down the bottom of the ladder (and have been for 15 years), we need more than 1 player to be earning a spot on this list, if for nothing else than giving some hope for the future.

As an update to how well we're travelling with our drafting and development - we've got 1 player in the 22 Under 22 squad - Nas.

There are some spuds on that list, and we still couldnt get another look in, despite Pou, Mitchito, Windy, Hammer and Wilson all being eligible.

We need more talent - doesnt matter how.

I'd love the club to come out and respond to the TT story properly, not a smart-arse 'spokesperson' reply. Either knock it on the head (Gubby and TT have a previously link, but we're not actively looking at signing him up), or own it (we're looking at every avenue to improve our team to win a flag, we can't rule anything out etc)
It was a lunch not a 10 year contract

As an update to how well we're travelling with our drafting and development - we've got 1 player in the 22 Under 22 squad - Nas.

There are some spuds on that list, and we still couldnt get another look in, despite Pou, Mitchito, Windy, Hammer and Wilson all being eligible.

We need more talent - doesnt matter how.

I'd love the club to come out and respond to the TT story properly, not a smart-arse 'spokesperson' reply. Either knock it on the head (Gubby and TT have a previously link, but we're not actively looking at signing him up), or own it (we're looking at every avenue to improve our team to win a flag, we can't rule anything out etc)
While it is easy to worry about our lack of representation in this year's squad, it doesn't give a proper representation of the talent we have.

Nas: has been fantastic and deserves his spot in the squad.
Pou: had a really rough start to the year but if he played like his recent form he would be in the squad easily.
Windy: injury and role probably makes it hard for him. He isn't a huge talent, he's definitely above average.
Mitchito: has had a frustrating year and hence doesn't make the squad. I expect him to be better next year.
Wilson: probably a tad unlucky, but he's up against plenty of mids. Still a great talent.
Hammer: another great tall prospect, but has missed parts of the year through injury and is against some great forwards this year.

What do father sons, Footscray plebs and burning memberships have to do with the 2024 Trade Period aside from three parts of f*ck all?
View attachment 2072128

7aaA.gif

While it is easy to worry about our lack of representation in this year's squad, it doesn't give a proper representation of the talent we have.

Nas: has been fantastic and deserves his spot in the squad.
Pou: had a really rough start to the year but if he played like his recent form he would be in the squad easily.
Windy: injury and role probably makes it hard for him. He isn't a huge talent, he's definitely above average.
Mitchito: has had a frustrating year and hence doesn't make the squad. I expect him to be better next year.
Wilson: probably a tad unlucky, but he's up against plenty of mids. Still a great talent.
Hammer: another great tall prospect, but has missed parts of the year through injury and is against some great forwards this year.
Each of these players, plus Shoenmaker could very easily be in the mix next year.

I am firmly in the boat that the Father/Son rule shouldn't exist. Essentially, I couldn't care less if a prospective son of a gun doesn't get to the club. This is a "professional sporting organisation", not an episode of Home and Away.

What does my perfect system look like you ask? If North Melbourne decide to take Nick Daicos at pick one in his draft year, I believe he should be a Roos player. Although the media, fans etc would be crying over the lost story.

However, if Daicos wants to be traded to his father's club after his initial contract, then Collingwood will need to pay a similar ransom that Port Adelaide paid for JHF.

In summary, clubs will still get their wanky family story angle, while the other club will get overs for the player. This means they can use additional draft picks to bring in more talent. No clubs are left at a major disadvantage.

I typed this up quickly, so excuse the holes in my thinking, but there is no planet where the Pies should be able to give up 38, 40, 42, 44 and get Nick Daicos.

Yep

Been given no handouts? Do Mitch Owens and Winhager play Badminton do they?

Tom Liberatore. Mitch Wallis. Lachie Hunter. Zaine Cordy. Sam Darcy. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. Rhylee West. Jordan Croft. And those are just off the top of my head.

3 of those are Premiership players.

One is a former vice-captain.

One is a former pick 1.

Another is a former pick 2

At least 6 of those are guns. All gifted to you. Served up on a platter.

Yet you have the gall to remind us that Saints have had 2 NGA players, yet to fully blossom, at picks 33 and 47 in the 2021 draft, and as a result we are also the beneficiary of handouts.

Yeah, sure!!!

No Father/ Sons either.

You should be embarrassed with that post.

Has it. How many flags have they won? You argued with me that trading in players like Hill was sensible when we hadn't done any of the foundation building at the draft. Now we are in a different phase you want to go back the other way again.

It hasn't paid off yet at all
Is that the measure gents? Flags won?

They made a prelim last year and up until 4 weeks ago sat second and looked every bit a contender for the flag ( 🤮)

They have a better top end than us by some distance.

This ultimately may seem as a wasted year for them. Because that list is primed with stars - which was mostly put together under SoS

Yes Gringo. Hill is and was sensible. How many players at his level have come across to us in the last 15 years?

Settle, I was simply addressing the post I quoted and that it was wrong. Of course every club would do it, but it was unprecedented (especially in consecutive years) and it’s not going to be every year.

It’s not going to be every year? It shouldn’t be happening in any year.

Bulldogs were gifted picks 1 and 2 in consecutive drafts despite being a Premiership contender. Leap frogging other clubs in the draft who were genuinely struggling and needed those picks as a matter of fairness.

Bulldogs didn’t have to match those bids. They chose to. And the price they paid was well below market rates.

A contending team having unfettered access to picks 1 & 2 in consecutive drafts was absolutely obscene. It’s why our President has being arguing, as a matter of principle, that these anomalies in the draft should be abolished. For everyone.

Good on him. It’s a shame other clubs don’t also fight to make the National Draft genuinely fair for all clubs.

So when we have one of your posters come on to our board, arguing that we have also been the beneficiary of concessions due to two mid-pick NGA players being drafted in 2021, then we get a bit shirty about it.

Especially when Saints also haven’t been lucky enough to snag any decent Father and Sons.

I’m sorry, but the rule is corrupt. It’s time it was abolished.

It was introduced in 1951 as a one-off to enable Ron Barassi Junior to play with Melbourne, the club that his Dad (Ron senior) played for. Ron junior (who was a Legacy child) lived in Reservoir and was zoned to Collingwood. Ron senior played in Melbourne’s 1940 Premiership team and was sadly killed in action at Tobruk in 1941.

Understandably, a decision was then made by the VFL to extend the Father/Son rule after the Second World War for similar cases, and it subsequently morphed from there.

But it’s time has long passed. Like these blasted academies, it’s a scourge on the fairness of the competition. And only a handful of clubs seem to continually benefit from it. The luck isn’t shared around.

If Saints are lucky in the future, when the rule is still in place, then so be it. We will have bloody well deserved some luck after missing out for many generations. But it doesn’t make the principle of the whole thing right.

Remove all concessions to the draft. Academies and Father/Son. They stink.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

deleted post

What a fool :rolleyes:

Excited Ocean Spray GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

Wow what a club, supporters of kiddie fiddlers

Western Bulldogs to pay $5.9m to child sexual abuse victim over paedophile access​

AFL club Western Bulldogs negligent in giving paedophile fundraiser special access to victim in the 1980s, supreme court finds.

deleted post

Are you arguing with the accuracy of any of the facts that I used to rebut the lack of perspective in your original post?

Please. Rebut the accuracy of them. Any of them. I’d genuinely love you to respond to this.

Was ANYTHING I posted factually incorrect?

Everyone on this board is waiting for a response.

I also have to say, your above retort is rather sad and pathetic. Do yourself a favour and use a bit of intellectual rigour to support your argument. It will give your posts a bit more credibility.

The squad is 40, and yes, all things being equal, you could spread that evenly across the comp, but we're down the bottom of the ladder (and have been for 15 years), we need more than 1 player to be earning a spot on this list, if for nothing else than giving some hope for the future.

I'd say we have our best pool of kids in 20 years. Nas is star quality, Owen had a poor year but that Essendon match reminded us of how good he can be. We only started drafting again after Windy and Owens' draft.

Schoenmaker, Garcia, Keeler, Moose, Hastie all look likely players in the VFL this year. Wilson and Phillipou are blue chip.

Even Hotton, Van Es and McLennan could be players. Liam Henry probably makes the list if he'd stayed fit too.

The awards go to players performing in the better sides first and the spud clubs get the scraps. We have 19 players under 22, at least a few look likely to be above average and look like plenty will be AFL standard. A few will fall out but you imagine we bring in another 5 or 6 this draft.

To me we have so much youth that we'll probably start to go backwards trying to carry them all in the side. North have 22 under 22 and the youngest side in the comp. After Ross, Membrey and Campbell etc go we will be heading back down with them.

I will never shame because their are some decent saints supporters on here that I don’t mind having a conversation with.

People from other boards are welcome here. But posters should support their opinions with facts and be respectful when discussing our club.

I’ve been reading some stuff on this thread where that hasn’t been happening.

Remember, opposition supporters are guests here. Just as we are guests if we go uninvited on to another club’s board.

Guests do not insult their host. It’s poor form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back