List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you want answer - how about we dont trade away our good players for draft picks that would inevitably be in the mid to late teens with the unrealistic hope we will draft multiple elite stars in one draft to carry us for a decade, or at least until they face any setbacks in development and then we can trade them off for more picks.

So you say don't do something, what is the alternative?
You say King is a good player but only worth picks in the late teens? I don't understand, if he is so untouchable why such a poor return?

It is not an unrealistic hope based on one draft.
Phillipou, NWM, Owens, Wilson, Windy, are already developing.
Then there is Keeler, Hotton, Van Es, Hastie, Garcia, and Shoenmaker to develop.
Hammer, Coops, Henry are around 22 to 23.
Not many of the above are elite mids. Add 4 frdps including 2 top 6 players to this list and we are set up for sustained success.

You have no alternative on how to improve our draft hand. The limitations are laid out, we can't trade for high quality mids as none want to come to us.

So I will ask again, how do we get high quality mids to the club?
It's OK if you have no alternative, and as it stands King won't be traded, but to merely say don't do something without an alternative is not the answer.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

You say King is a good player but only worth picks in the late teens? I don't understand, if he is so untouchable why such a poor return?

Then there is Keeler, Hotton, Van Es, Hastie, Garcia, and Shoenmaker to develop.
Not many of the above are elite mids. Add 4 frdps including 2 top 6 players to this list and we are set up for sustained success.

You have no alternative on how to improve our draft hand. The limitations are laid out, we can't trade for high quality mids as none want to come to us.

It's OK if you have no alternative, and as it stands King won't be traded, but to merely say don't do something without an alternative is not the answer.

If we get a frdp for Battle then we'll have pick 5 and 6 in this draft which is plenty to get good mids in, we just have to nail the picks.

I would like to see Max get a bit more pro-active in the forward half next season, and hear less excuses for him not achieving at the highest level. The top elite have their game above the shoulders sorted.

If we can get his knee & shoulder right then I reckon the above shoulder part should take care of itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is so immensely frustrating that we even have to have the kind of discussion you and Joffaboy are having - talking about trading out good players already on our list in order to try and increase our draft hand to speed up our improvement, risky as it may be, when other clubs are just handed them on a plate.

We’ve discussed it ad nauseum, but the inequities of the competition make me so mad. And I don’t even know which one of you is correct.

Probably both and neither!
I don't WANT to trade King, I didn't WANT the club to look at TT, I will hate to see Battle in Hawks colours or King in Sydney colours, we have been forced like beggars to rummage in the trash or look at trading capital with currency to even compete.

Brisbane are flag favourites and get the best mid in the draft for bugger all while keeping their first. They will get this player ahead of the Saints. It happens every single year, last year our first pick was eventually 18.
We don't get elite mids we are consigned to be irrelevant for another 15 years.
No elite mid on the market wants to be traded to us or FA to us.

I would love an alternative, but I have yet to see one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Runs of goals.

: King 2.1.2.1.3.1---2,1,5,1---1,2,2,2,3,1,6,4,2,2---1,4,4,4,3,1,2,2,2,6,3,2,1--- 3,2,2,2,2,1 ---4,4,3,2---2,6,3,3--- 3,2,2,3
: Sharman 2,2,2,4 --- 1,1,1 --- 1,3,1,2 --- 1,2,2,2,3
:Caminiti 2,1,2,2,2---1,1,1,1,2 ---2,1,2,1,1,2 --- 3,1,1
So King is clearly better at kicking more goals and bigger bags of goals, albeit with a larger sample size of games. When you consider Sharman often being played out of position/ being the sub, and Caminiti only being in his 2nd year and also playing a few games as a defender, the difference doesn't look too big to me. That is also without considering that he is one of our highest paid players, while the other two are on a rookie contract.

King won't be traded, probably because he has already signed a huge contract extension, but when he comes back we can't go back to just kicking it on his head at every chance possible. He should be one of many options, not the default option to kick to inside 50. It says a lot that our forward line looked the best this year when he wasn't playing.

I don't WANT to trade King, I didn't WANT the club to look at TT, I will hate to see Battle in Hawks colours or King in Sydney colours, we have been forced like beggars to rummage in the trash or look at trading capital with currency to even compete.

Brisbane are flag favourites and get the best mid in the draft for bugger all while keeping their first. They will get this player ahead of the Saints. It happens every single year, last year our first pick was eventually 18.
We don't get elite mids we are consigned to be irrelevant for another 15 years.
No elite mid on the market wants to be traded to us or FA to us.

I would love an alternative, but I have yet to see one.

Agree with all that. We don’t have an alternative - just have to get behind Bassett and co trying to somewhat correct this terribly inequitable anomaly in the game.

None of us want to consider trading out Battle, or King. Nor should we have to do it to try and climb the ladder.

It is the cause of immense frustration for me and many others I’m sure. Constantly trying to push sh*t uphill.

He just called me a Liar and that I make up all this crap.

That he also has a WhatsApp group and they laugh at everything I post in his WhatsApp group.

There was mention of a cat and something about Gringo believing everything I write so he is confused.

He posted something about Joffaboy. But can’t vaguely remember what it was.

That’s the gist of it.
Hilarious....interesting timing that his other account has started poking his head in as well

Drafting and development. Gulden and Warner weren't high picks but Sydney have a top notch talent identification team. Geelong don't have a huge number of first round elite mids but they again have a good team that identify and develop their players. That should be the standard for us as well.

I can get the point that another mature body is probably needed in there, I’m just not sure the cost is worth it for such a short term investment. Maybe there is a less profile name with 90% of the impact of Macrae and closer to delisting. I’m not 100% sure that Macrae is so much better than Ross and there’s some grass is greener.

The hope would be that he comes nearly free to eat his contract.

I saw a few people on here saying they have doubts over Windy's midfield potential which I thought was strange considering its his first season in there

He looks like he'll be at least a solid citizen. Dow showed a bit too. Hunter looked good in patches and with a fitness base maybe something to work with. Steele, Phillipou, Garcia and whoever we take in the draft and all of a sudden we are having to have plenty at Sandy. It was incredibly unlucky that so many mids were injured and Crouch ended his career prematurely. Seb Ross also hit the wall.

Wouldn't mind us having a chat with Lukosius, as a Battle replacement. He's been dropped by Dimma and hasnt really had the impact you'd hope from a Pick 2.

Reminds me a bit of Battle, needs to settle down in a position, which we could offer in our pretty-settled back 6.

Would just need to fend off the Crom, they'd be keen if he was looking for a change.

Would probably cost anything we get for Battle. At that point you'd probably just keep Battle. I rate him though.

On the King chat, his identical twin will finish 3rd-5th in the Coleman this year, playing for a team that won't make finals, and being at least 3 years younger than the others in that top 5 list. Trading Max would be the dumbest thing the club has ever done. It's going to click for him and he is a key piece of any St Kilda side challenging for a flag in the next 10 years. People so easily forget that key forwards are shit until they aren't. Max isn't even that bad now.

Not really. We do dumb stuff for fun. KPFs are hard to find so you want to be pretty certain that we have the position covered by Hammer and Titanic. That said if we bottom out in a couple of years we can sell him to Tassie as their big marquee signing for pick 1 and 2 or something.

Drafting and development. Gulden and Warner weren't high picks but Sydney have a top notch talent identification team. Geelong don't have a huge number of first round elite mids but they again have a good team that identify and develop their players. That should be the standard for us as well.
Both Geelong and Sydney won flags on the back of F/S and/or NGA's
And while getting those freebies they retain their frdp to get a second bite at the cherry.

I don't know why people can't see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back