List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Todays herald sun profiling the top 25 kids in next years AFL draft at this stage (2025). Couple of interesting additions below. Willem Durssma the early fav for overall first pick.

BASIL HART​

Club: Western Australia/Peel Thunder/Marist FC

Height: 183cm

DOB: 18/01/07

An indigenous medium forward, Hart used his pace, clean hands and anticipation to be a dangerous forward throughout the under-16 national championships last year. He showed innate goal sense by kicking multiple goals in each game and finished with seven majors overall to win Western Australia’s MVP award and All-Australian honours. Hart has played four matches at under-18 level this year, averaging 9.3 disposals and kicking four goals. He is part of Fremantle’s NGA program, potentially giving the Dockers access to him in the 2025 draft

FRED RODRIGUEZ​

Club: Western Australia/ South Fremantle/Fremantle City Dockers

Height: 185 cm

DOB: 10/07/07

A highly-regarded midfielder who missed last year’s under-16 championships due to injury, Rodriguez has quickly reminded scouts of his potential with his early form in the under-18s this season. He averaged 21.5 disposals (13 contested) and 6.3 clearances from his first four matches and has been included in the initial state under-18 squad for 2024 as a bottom-age player
I would love to add a Fred and Basil. Get it done Walls

A really good video by noobermensch - I agree with a lot of it; and his 11-20 I think is worth listening to:

His commentary is very dry. I like that. Wonder if Hotton sliding with his injury might appeal?

Hoping we have a mixture of value trades for players who can make a difference, and perhaps one of those two 11-20 small forwards he highlights. We are positioned well.

Kako seems an ideal fit.

I actually think (and not to write off Kako as I think he is pretty good as well) Berry is the best fit for our forward line - he has less tricks than Kako and I think he has less potential than many others in that 15-20 bracket, but his one very good trick is getting behind defensive lines through his speed and kicking goals on the run (sort of like Sharp's recent goals), and for a team like ours that often gets the ball at half forward and starts handballing it around struggling to get it to boot / someone brave enough to kick it, his particular skillset complements that in a positive manner.

Other draft watchers have Kako 25-30 citing skills and decision making.

Yes but I think that is because as noobermensch said it is draft for centre square midfielders and in terms of the talent that is where it sits if you line people up in terms of potential. However Kako (despite not being as reliable a kick as everyone would like and question the distance on the kick maybe at the next level up, and yes sometimes that headless chook kind of decision making kicks in that is standard of lots of small selfish forwards) I think is the best small forward prospect in this draft at this point in time and I think that that will bring him into play earlier than 25-30. For a club like ours the real question mark with Kako is likely to be around the defensive pressure; I don't see him as a pressure forward but more a forward that makes stuff happen - would that dissuade us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think (and not to write off Kako as I think he is pretty good as well) Berry is the best fit for our forward line - he has less tricks than Kako and I think he has less potential than many others in that 15-20 bracket, but his one very good trick is getting behind defensive lines through his speed and kicking goals on the run (sort of like Sharp's recent goals), and for a team like ours that often gets the ball at half forward and starts handballing it around struggling to get it to boot / someone brave enough to kick it, his particular skillset complements that in a positive manner.
Not sure if I posted the Berry vids here?

Berry being a left footer would be a nice point of difference. He’s pretty slight though, couldnt see him impacting much for a year or two at AFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back