List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some WC nuffy was arguing (in the wrong thread so I left it) that he can't see how Freo trade for Warner next year if we don't get him this year.

I added it to the other bizarre WC nuffy interaction I've had recently saying Clark is no good and he wanted to get WC but they didn't want him because he has a terrible attitude
We absolutely can trade for him the following year but if the Swans can’t re-sign him, I think they trade him when he is still in contract end of this year.

Hopefully we get the NGA over the line then pick up a generational player a couple years later.
More likely that other clubs would benefit from a top NGA selection than us, unless they change the recruitment zones.

To date the only top 10 picks for next gen have been JUH and Henry?

More likely that other clubs would benefit from a top NGA selection than us, unless they change the recruitment zones.

To date the only top 10 picks for next gen have been JUH and Henry?
Quick look and I found the following:

Swans:
Callum Mills pick 3.
Nick Blakey Pick 10.
Braden Campbell pick 5.

Gold Coast:
Jed Walter pick 3.
Ethan Read pick 9.
Jack Bowes pick 10.

GWS:
Tom Green pick 10.
Will Setterfield pick 5.
Jacob Hopper pick 7.

North Melbourne:
Tarryn Thomas pick 8.

We absolutely can trade for him the following year but if the Swans can’t re-sign him, I think they trade him when he is still in contract end of this year.
I still think my check list has to be ticked for them to even think about it
  • Re-sign Hayward✅
  • Win the flag
  • Have Warner tell them he's leaving this year or next (we'll likely never know but there's a nice bit of smoke around the place...)
  • Bonus points for hearing about a decent name linked to them

Quick look and I found the following:

Swans:
Callum Mills pick 3.
Nick Blakey Pick 10.
Braden Campbell pick 5.

Gold Coast:
Jed Walter pick 3.
Ethan Read pick 9.
Jack Bowes pick 10.

GWS:
Tom Green pick 10.
Will Setterfield pick 5.
Jacob Hopper pick 7.

North Melbourne:
Tarryn Thomas pick 8.
Outside of Tarryn Thomas that's not NGA, those players are from the northern academies.

I was just trying to make the point that if there is no pick cap on the NGA it won't necessarily give us any advantage because 1. Top 10 picks don't often come out of the NGA and 2. Everyone gets that access and knowing our luck it'd probably be our rivals who would top up while in the finals race.

I liked the idea someone else nominated about a Cat C where they can stay for 3 to 5 years to develop. This would help achieve the aim of increasing indigenous representation not by providing a pathway to the absolutely elite players who get picked up anyway but by bolstering project players. Clearly the drop in indigenous players shows the Cat B list isn't achieving that.

Outside of Tarryn Thomas that's not NGA, those players are from the northern academies.

I was just trying to make the point that if there is no pick cap on the NGA it won't necessarily give us any advantage because 1. Top 10 picks don't often come out of the NGA and 2. Everyone gets that access and knowing our luck it'd probably be our rivals who would top up while in the finals race.

I liked the idea someone else nominated about a Cat C where they can stay for 3 to 5 years to develop. This would help achieve the aim of increasing indigenous representation not by providing a pathway to the absolutely elite players who get picked up anyway but by bolstering project players. Clearly the drop in indigenous players shows the Cat B list isn't achieving that.

There's definitely been a few players who if the rules hadn't changed would have been eligible to be picked by the club who's academy they were in.

Mac Andrew
Cameron McKenzie
Riley Sanders

There's definitely been a few players who if the rules hadn't changed would have been eligible to be picked by the club who's academy they were in.

Mac Andrew
Cameron McKenzie
Riley Sanders

So are you in favour of removing the cap?

Do you think we would then gain an advantage over other clubs?

If the Chad stuff is real I can. Especially if Baker also happens.

If no Chad (or other gun players) coming in then we'll definitely have at least 1 I agree.
Another option would be to move picks into next year's draft for a crack at Warner at the end of his contract.

Sorry for the intrusion

Kako just seems like a fun name to yell out :)

This guy is the exact player that would fit fremantles small foward needs
played a great game today for Vic Metro against the Allies

"while Essendon Next Generation Academy small forward Isaac Kako kicked two goals from 11 disposals, including a brilliant snap late in the fourth term."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the intrusion

This guy is the exact player that would fit fremantles small foward needs
played a great game today for Vic Metro against the Allies

"while Essendon Next Generation Academy small forward Isaac Kako kicked two goals from 11 disposals, including a brilliant snap late in the fourth term."

Don't know the rules, but we can't match in the top 40, absolute corruption by the VFL.
What happens with Vic clubs and their academies? Probs some more Vicco bullshit

Don't know the rules, but we can't match in the top 40, absolute corruption by the VFL.
You just take him with 1 of your picks under 40
The St Kilda 2nd rounder would be perfect but looking at his game closely today im thinking around 20 -25 is about where he goes

Essendon can’t match if selected from pick 40 and under. We can select him with no matching anywhere between 1 and 40. This rule applies to Freo where we missed out on Motlop picked around pick 25 and Edwards picked around 30. West Coast missed out on Collard around pick 28.

Essendon can’t match if selected from pick 40 and under. We can select him with no matching anywhere between 1 and 40. This rule applies to Freo where we missed out on Motlop picked around pick 25 and Edwards picked around 30. West Coast missed out on Collard around pick 28.
It's OK if there is an Essendon Academy kid that is any good they will change the rules this year so they can get him.

Its a ****ing joke! Where is the incentive in helping these kids?

No chance, its Walls not Dodo.
Late first round pick with maybe a later pick upgrade in our favour is around the mark IMO. We have Saints 4th so moving that up to an earlier pick should be around the mark. He won’t go for the Saints Second as that will push back. I’m comfortable with our third first rounder being the primary element of the deal. He is a significantly better player than Liam Henry. I’m sure we will want a bit of a sweetener in our favour.

It is a concern with 3 picks so close together, and us badly needing to fill one role.

There is only one or two small forwards in range. If they are gone, or too big a reach we are in trouble.

Would not mind splitting one, if the player we want is only worth a 2nd

It is a concern with 3 picks so close together, and us badly needing to fill one role.

There is only one or two small forwards in range. If they are gone, or too big a reach we are in trouble.

Would not mind splitting one, if the player we want is only worth a 2nd
If the offseason goes as rumours are suggesting I'd be surprised if we had a first to spend on a small forward in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back