Fixture 2025 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

first statement isnt entirely true.

Cook always insisted we played a few home games at the G because they are a great financial source for the club. in fact almost level with home games at GMHBA

things may have changed, but thats how i have always heard and seen it

FYI i am all for 10 and soon to 11 home games at HOME, just needed to say that home G games do bring in quite a bit of money

IF at any stage the MCG offered any financial benefit, it was before the redevelopment started at KP, because for the past decade it's definitely been no real financial benefit to playing home games at the venue

The club made a point of the financial hit when it comes to playing at the MCG in 2014 when we hosted Richmond at the MCG on a shit Sunday afternoon in May and had less than 35k in attendance - we took a big financial hit that day and the club made their concerns known

Following that match, the club was pretty clear that to break even financially with MCG games we needed approx 60k in attendance, and it's getting that 80k plus when the profit started matching KP home games - with KP Stage 5 redevelopment complete, those numbers would look worse for the MCG in terms of having the same financial benefit as a true home game

The following is from Brian Cook's testimony to the 2009 Senate committee transcript for the Establishment of an AFL team in Tassie - so these would be 2008 figures:

"...at Skilled Stadium when you have a capacity of 25,000, we make a net profit in that game of $638,000 per game, which is $26 per head. If we have a crowd of 85,500 at the MCG, which we did have against Collingwood in 2007, we brought home $771,000, which was $9 a head. Importantly, Telstra, now Etihad Stadium, with a near capacity of 46,000, we brought home $293,000, which is $6 a head."

If those figures are from 2008/2009 prior to the future stages of KP redevelopment where we've seen capacity grow to 30k, 35k & now approx 40k, it would suggest it's been a long time since MCG home games have gone close to having the financial benefit of KP home games

Edit - I didn't bold anything in that quote from Cook, it's how it was typed out when I found it. And for those curious, that info from Cook is available in different BF threads, including here:

Mcg games making us a financial gain has been shown to be a fallacy. Even the 90k games at the G offer less than a 30k game at KP

KP is the $ maker.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture 2025 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back