List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

LDU / Ed Richards please next year free agents.Exactly the types we need.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The 2017 draft trauma is real

Let me take you back to 2014, the single worst draft/trade/recruitment period by any club in the history of the league.

Traded out Pick 7 & 19 for Kristian Jaksch and Mark Whiley

Pick 19 - Blaine Boekhurst
Pick 28 - Dillon Vojo-Rainbow
Pick 60 - Clem Smith
Pick 63 - Jayden Foster
PSD - Jason Tutt
Rookie draft - Billy Gowers, Brad Walsh, Tom Fields, Fraser Russell
Delisted free agent - Matthew Dick

Only positive was Liam Jones for Pick 46.

Let me take you back to 2014, the single worst draft/trade/recruitment period by any club in the history of the league.

Pick 60 - Clem Smith
Pick 63 - Jayden Foster
PSD - Jason Tutt

We traded pick 7 for pick 19 + Jaksch and Whiley.

I remember the reasoning at the time from Shane Rogers was that we wanted a presence in the first round still, while bringing in KP/midfield talent.

I don't think 2014 was a good draft year as a whole. Certainly Petracca, A.Brayshaw, Heeney ( Sydney acadamy), Jake Lever... and a few others... but I don't think on the whole a good draft year...

Don’t need LDU. Ed Richards is a star, but still not sold on him being any more than a one season wonder at this stage

Just as well we get to see if he can back it up before potentially having a crack

He’s the one I’d look at, not absolute top tier like Bont/LDU who will cost astronomical numbers in cash and years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pick 60 - Clem Smith
Pick 63 - Jayden Foster
PSD - Jason Tutt

Positive note, it forced change…..albeit 6 years too late

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone think we may be wasting our time with Monahan. I know it was his 1st year, but I dont think he showed much.
Not for one second suggesting that Monahan is in a similar category but Jim Stynes struggled with the game when he first arrived. Was sent to Prahran VFA to help his development and didn't play a senior game till his third year.

As a Cat B rookie lets give him another year with his Irish mate here and you never know what might happen.

Not for one second suggesting that Monahan is in a similar category but Jim Stynes struggled with the game when he first arrived. Was sent to Prahran VFA to help his development and didn't play a senior game till his third year.

As a Cat B rookie lets give him another year with his Irish mate here and you never know what might happen.

Typically there is a low probability that Rookie, DFA, MSD, PSD etc picks turn into decent footballers.

It's very much a gamble but we've found a few over the years...

2023 - Lord
2022 - Cincotta
2020 - Boyd
2019 - Jack Martin, Newnes, Newman
2018 - Cottrell, Owies

Won't feel it every week but guys like Kennedy, Owies, Carroll are handy depth. If we get hit with injuries, we may feel it.

Also would've been very handy for our VFL program, we need to not finish 2nd bottom again (but fully understand you don't keep players on the list to boost VFL results). But a good performing VFL side puts pressure on senior players every week, if it's full of kids getting spanked every week then that's just bad business for development, competition for spots, morale etc.

I'm not complaining, just think it's a fair admission of the club not rating our bottom 6, at all.
If we want “handy depth”, we would’ve hung onto Nick Graham and Sam Kerridge all these years

Extending TDK is paramount for us, but I think that Cornes is spot on with his take. We need to be very careful with the type of contract we hand out to him so that we don't get into a Grundy situation.

Outs (Senior)
Marchbank
Cuningham
Martin
Owies
Kennedy
J Carroll

Ins (Senior)
Haynes

Outs (Rookies)
Mirkov
Akuie
S Durdin *
M Caroll *

* ‘Train on’ / Supplemental list opportunity

So a net 5 senior list positions and 4 rookie list positions.
Or 4 and 5 respectively with Boyd elevation.

I wonder if we are considering taking a DFA.

You're forgetting Lord & Duffy, so it's 4 Senior & 3 Rookie spots available.

I seriously doubt we bring in a DFA prior to the Rookie Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back