Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Cutting an injured player who is still rehabbing doesn't fit in with our list management culture at all. It makes a lot of sense to delist him as he was the last player that could afford such a major injury but it won't happen.

Plenty of teams do it.

Geelong delisted Gary Rohan only 2 weeks post a serious brain injury.

By having him on the list another 12 months you are just delaying the inevitable imo.

Plenty of teams do it.

By having him on the list another 12 months you are just delaying the inevitable imo.
I think with our level of precarity we are much more conservative with risky moves like this.

i'm glad some here arent in charge

this bloke is rated a lot higher internally than on here

was playing in our best team pre injury

he will challenge for the teakle spot at some point in the year

Maybe.

We are yet to see what he actually returns like post Achillies. He wasn't exactly breaking out before it and now with it + set backs some Lazarus type rise seems unlikely.

Also lol at using internally rated as a thing to disparage people's opinions given your own opinion on Scott and where the club have viewed him.

Maybe.

We are yet to see what he actually returns like post Achillies. He wasn't exactly breaking out before it and now with it + set backs some Lazarus type rise seems unlikely.

Also lol at using internally rated as a thing to disparage people's opinions given your own opinion on Scott and where the club have viewed him.
scott the bloke who finished 17th in our bnf despite playing every game?

i think he has been rated at the right spot now, fringe

i'm glad some here arent in charge

this bloke is rated a lot higher internally than on here

he will challenge for the teakle spot at some point in the year

What exactly is there to rate?

His ruckwork is dogshit, he has the turning circle of the titanic and averages a poor 0.45 goals per game despite playing 80% of his time forward in his 19 games at North. Averages less than 3 marks and 10 disposals per game since he came over to North.

The upside in minimal, especially off the back of an achilles injury that he has already had multiple setbacks with.

Challenging Teakle for a spot in the side isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for potential as they are equally as avg as one another.

I think with our level of precarity we are much more conservative with risky moves like this.

I don't think it's risky at all, he injured the Achilles very early in the year, we've already done the bulk of work supporting him with his rehab. It's not like he has done a knee in the last round of the season. IMO the writing is on the wall that he is already up against it to get another contract at the end of next year. 3 years in and he has shown zilch.

I don't think it's risky at all, he injured the Achilles very early in the year, we've already done the bulk of work supporting him with his rehab. It's not like he has done a knee in the last round of the season. IMO the writing is on the wall that he is already up against it to get another contract at the end of next year. 3 years in and he has shown zilch.
I don't think the risk is that he might turn out to be a great player after he's jettisoned. The risk is that we inadvertently send a message to the playing group that anyone with an LTI is expendable whether contracted or not.

I don't know what CCJ's relationships with other players is like so I don't know whether it would an issue, but it is probably one worth considering, given that about the only thing the club has done very well over the past two years has been to keep every single player its wanted.

I don't think the risk is that he might turn out to be a great player after he's jettisoned. The risk is that we inadvertently send a message to the playing group that anyone with an LTI is expendable whether contracted or not.

I don't know what CCJ's relationships with other players is like so I don't know whether it would an issue, but it is probably one worth considering, given that about the only thing the club has done very well over the past two years has been to keep every single player its wanted.

I guess that's one angle that is worth considering.

In saying that though these guys are professional athletes, I think they understand how cutthroat the industry can be, especially when list spots are tight and when you are talking about a fringe player at best.

If those sorts of decisions upset the playing group, then they simply don't have the required mindset to become competitive imo.

What exactly is there to rate?

His ruckwork is dogshit, he has the turning circle of the titanic and averages a poor 0.45 goals per game despite playing 80% of his time forward in his 19 games at North. Averages less than 3 marks and 10 disposals per game since he came over to North.

The upside in minimal, especially off the back of an achilles injury that he has already had multiple setbacks with.

Challenging Teakle for a spot in the side isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for potential as they are equally as avg as one another.
Teakle is a much better player than CCJ

Plenty of teams do it.

Was Gary Rohan contracted for another year? That would be the difference. If you are paying him regardless and if he's not taking a list spot due to LTI, then the compassionate thing to do is let him rehab within the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Gary Rohan contracted for another year? That would be the difference. If you are paying him regardless and if he's not taking a list spot due to LTI, then the compassionate thing to do is let him rehab within the club.

Yeah but he was a fan favourite and just had a significant brain injury. If we were taking in compassionate grounds then Geelong are ruthless for delisting him 2 weeks after it happened.

He has already done the vast majority of his rehab and has already encountered multiple setbacks. If he is up against it to get a contract extension why delay the inevitable? Players who are contracted get delisted every year. To me there is little to no risk with freeing up a list spot for CCJ. It’s ruthless, but it is what it is.

Yeah but he was a fan favourite and just had a significant brain injury. If we were taking in compassionate grounds then Geelong are ruthless for delisting him 2 weeks after it happened.

He has already done the vast majority of his rehab and has already encountered multiple setbacks. If he is up against it to get a contract extension why delay the inevitable? Players who are contracted get delisted every year. To me there is little to no risk with freeing up a list spot for CCJ. It’s ruthless, but it is what it is.
i'd be paying out pink's lowly based 1 year trigger before anyone else

Teakle is a much better player than CCJ
I'm not sure he is. Both look lost in the ruck, and neither has enough agility or craft to play as a forward. Teakle is fitter and a better contested mark, CJ is a better kick. We only need one on the list as injury cover, and as CJ is going to struggle to get back, delisting him now seems an obvious choice. Both should hopefully be gone by the end of next season.

Plenty of teams do it.

This is a bit of a stretch, it was a fractured skull which is by no means insignificant but it's not a brain injury.

Because there was literally no one else.
Was subbed out in one game, did **** all in another and then did his Achilles.

Old mate didn’t set the world on fire. I had hope for CCJ when we got him, probably because we paid such a stupid ****ing amount, but I think we’ve seen the best we’ll ever see of him. Which wasn’t great…

I guess that's one angle that is worth considering.

In saying that though these guys are professional athletes, I think they understand how cutthroat the industry can be, especially when list spots are tight and when you are talking about a fringe player at best.

If those sorts of decisions upset the playing group, then they simply don't have the required mindset to become competitive imo.
Could go the other way and give them the kick in the arse they need

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back