21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

In the end I'm going to say that Cousins had the slight edge in playing career, especially in terms of the level of his peak few seasons. But following on from Pavlich, if we land Selwood we also have leadership and culture set from day one. Two guns almost right from the start and players to build forward and midfield lines around.

Thus the Westside Pavlovas select the man who is 7th for all time career Brownlow votes: Joel Selwood.
Excellent choice mate. I was really hoping he'd slide due to not being a glamour pick.

Barry Hall

4 x AA, Premiership Captain, AFL MVP. 11 x club leading goal kicker at 3 different clubs.

Goals per game average pretty much only inferior to Lloyd, Buddy and Fev in this pool and he played a big chunk of his career at CHF. So it elevates him right up there.

Probably one of the more underrated CV's of the modern era imo.

On raw numbers he's probably ahead of Brown, Treadrea etc imo.

Didn't want to mention it (in case of the unlikely event he somehow slid to my next pick) but Tredrea and Hall were my 2 remaining Tier 1 forwards that I was weighing up at pick 26. So I wrote their achievements down side by side and it's crazy how similar they are.

Both were AA 4 times.
Both won the Coaches award in a flag year
Both captained a flag
In their standout year ('04 for Tredrea and '05 for Hall), Tredders kicked 81 goals from 25 games, won the flag and the B&F, the AFLCA, was favourite for the Brownlow (ended up with 15 votes) and finished 2nd in the MVP. Hall kicked 80 goals from 26 games, won the flag and the B&F, the AFLCA and ended up with 16 Brownlow votes.

Whilst Tredrea played as a more traditional CHF than Hall (who played both CHF and FF at various times), Hall also kicked a fair few more goals than Tredrea over their careers.

It was very hard to choose! In the end, I leant towards Tredrea (obviously) only because he won 4 B&F's (to Hall's 1) in a top of the table side and owned the CHF forward spot in the AA team for nearly half a decade (whilst Hall was picked in a pocket for 2 of his 4). I think Tredrea's extended peak was higher (clear best forward for 4-5 years) but Hall was closer to his peak for longer (top 5 forward for ages). Whilst it didn't factor much, I think Hall's indiscretions compared to Tredrea's 'cleanskin, inspirational captain' also helped as a slight tie-breaker.

In the end I'm going to say that Cousins had the slight edge in playing career, especially in terms of the level of his peak few seasons. But following on from Pavlich, if we land Selwood we also have leadership and culture set from day one. Two guns almost right from the start and players to build forward and midfield lines around.

Thus the Westside Pavlovas select the man who is 7th for all time career Brownlow votes: Joel Selwood.
Wow this is so hard who would I rather run out behind Pav and Selwood or Browny and Bont!

This one is tough. Consideration post before my actual pick:

I'm more of the "full transparency" approach on this, as usually the other players I considered wouldn't be available anyway. This early into the draft there are no hidden surprises.

So I could bolster the forward line before the elite KPFs are all gone. Pavlich at CHF, midfield or even CHB means there is definitely a need for another rock solid goal scorer. Contenders: Tex Walker, Fraser Gehrig, Charlie Curnow, Scott Lucas...

But, even though there have been many great midfielders and a lot of them will be available across rounds 3-8, balance-wise I am going to take one of the absolute champions from this cohort with my second pick.

The obvious ones jumping out at me are (in chronological order) Ben Cousins, Simon Black, Dane Swan and Joel Selwood.

Swan's best few years matched some of the very best ones of Ablett and Judd. But it took him about 6 seasons to get going and I picked him in my last one, so I'll rule him out.

Black was one of the classiest and most prolific midfielders of his era, with longevity keeping him elite after the rest of the Fab Four retired or moved out of midfield. He still gets slept on a bit but his play rivalled the likes of Pendlebury and Mitchell.

Selwood was a gun right from the start: Rising Star in year one (beating Pendles), 5th in the Player MVP (Leigh Matthews Trophy) in year two, All Australian in years 3 and 4. Leadership through the roof, with his impact in that respect also set from day one. 6x AA's and he was one of the main factors that kept Geelong somehow knocking on the door rather than falling to irrelevancy after the 2007-2011 dynasty. Too often a standalone warrior in losing finals when he was no longer in a team of champions. Right through to being one of the dominant players in the first half of the 2022 grand final when the match was decided.

Then Cousins is one who still sort of gets slept on, maybe not helped by the messy end to his career and all that followed. The other champs had stronger conclusions to their career and maintained standards for longer. Yet Cousins was elite from as early as 1998 right through to 2006/2007. A Brownlow and Player MVP winner while playing alongside the very best version of Judd, in premiership contending sides. He had the skills to balance out Judd's other electric attributes and together they dominated the league (with able support from Kerr et al), considering that side lacked a forward line and the defence was good but not truly outstanding.

Awesome post but damn you Mr Meow. Don't give me this "there are no surprises in the early draft" after you forgot Sam Mitchell existed in the other version. It only takes one poster to miss someone, forget a player existed or assume he is ineligible for a bargain to be had!

Not happy Jan! (but great post)

Yeah he gave away some guys who I thought might be overlooked with eligibility agreed damn you MR MEOW haha.
Awesome post but damn you Mr Meow. Don't give me this "there are no surprises in the early draft" after you forgot Sam Mitchell existed in the other version. It only takes one poster to miss someone, forget a player existed or assume he is ineligible for a bargain to be had!

Not happy Jan! (but great post)

Also Guardian Hawk I am pretty sure the order here is wrong

28. North Melbourne - Barry Hall
29. Fremantle -
30. West Side Pavlovas - Joel Selwood
31. Sydney -
32.Melbourne -
33. Carlton -
34. Gold Coast -

as Sydney and Carlton are next to each other in the draft order.

Fixed.

Been waiting for this for a while but with Pick 32 Carlton are picking probably the most unique player from 1995 onwards. Every other player has an equivalent, someone who is a bit similar even if they are not as good, but this player stands alone when it comes to his skills, his defensive pressure and importantly his evasiveness. Any forward line that has this man in it is a scary one for defenders.

Carlton pick Cyril Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Pretty happy with that so far. Was terrified someone was going to take Cyril before pick 32 :p
I beg you to change your name. Lloyd, and a Rioli playing for Carlton makes me wanna puke.

Somebody that is extremely durable who's body never lets you down.

Jack Crisp.

Can play anywhere and would complement GAJ quite nicely.

WilloTree

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back