Player Watch 22. Luke Breust - playing his 300th game in the 2024 semi final

Remove this Banner Ad

Index Page

2008 Rookie Draft. Selected number 47 overall and Hawthorn's 3rd choice.

Date of Birth: 11.11.90

From HFC website "Hawks take best available" 16.12.08

Selection No. 47. Luke Breust
Temora, NSW, medium forward, 11 November, 1990, 181cm, 74kg.

Luke probably surprised many because Sydney could have pre-listed him as a rookie but chose not to. Luke was one of the NSW-ACT’s better players this year in the national championships. We were delighted that Sydney didn’t pre-list him. He is a half-forward/wingman and also kicks the ball really well. He has a good goal sense as well.

Post 1: Index
2 -

Loved reading back on his journey - the bit in bold was news to me, amazing that Sydney had the chance to have a 300 gamer on their list and chose not to amuses me greatly. To think that player could have so helped them during this period they have had at the top of the ladder is equally good.

Also amazing that such a great player can only amass 3 pages in 300 games whilst the Wizard is already nudging 100!

300 games for Hawthorn:

Tuck, Matthews, Mitchell, Crawford, Hodge, Langford, Scott, Moore ..... and now Breust.

Champions, every single one of them.

Only Dunstall, Matthews, Hudson, Moncrieff, Franklin and Roughead have kicked more goals.

It's too bad Lewis isn't on that list.

Was brilliant on AFL360 what a journey and take my hat off to this humble man. He is all class and so important to have around our young group as a teacher and mentor so his qualities/values/standards rub off on them. Such a team man and more focused in getting over Port than his 300th

Also mentioned a couple years ago thought he was close to retiring and that he has been rejuvenated by the energy of the kids, the positivity feeling around the club and playing sub. The most riveting part was that he has never seen a harder working group of players that put in extra time working on touch etc and that the young group should still be 2/3 years away from playing their best footy!

Enjoy a Wednesday night with the great man

This video could damn near bring a tear to my eye! One of my all time favourite Hawks.

I have said it time and time again but if you are coaching a kid to become a small forward you would almost be negligent not to send him away to go watch Breust play. His forward craft as is good as you will see, beautiful set shot.

The single best front and centre player in my time watching footy.

Fingers crossed we get one more vintage sub game from him in a big game and he can kick 3 or 4 in a quarter!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hell of a highlights package. I quite liked his cameos through the middle in the threepeat years!

Had a bit of toe in those early days too.
One of the smartest players & would be wonderful if we could keep him as a small forwards coach

Congrats on 300 games Luke Breust.

The epitome of a great sportsman.

Makes the game of AFL look romantically easy when he's kicking and creating goals.

Blessed with a sidestep from the Gods, the radar of a laser guided drone attack, and a Mensa level football IQ.

Traded more often than Game Stop stock of a couple of years back by some fans.

It's been 300 games of glorious reliability as a dangerous small forward.

If we could transplant his brain into an 18 year-old, he'd kick another 500 goals.

Love the Punky. His pace may have been dimmed by age. But he's still a shining star capable of getting Sam's attention to leap off the bench, and kick the match winner.

Criminally underrated, even on his 300th game. No way he's only the 6th best small forward of all time.

He'll likely end up with more goals than Milne in a lower scoring era, twice as many tackles a game, more goal assists, more I50s, more disposals. Matera too.

I think the undisputed top 2 are Cyril and Betts, Betts because we may never see a goal kicker that gifted again and Cyril for all of the things he does, but just sheer consistency of output, longevity in the game and overall reliability you've gotta have Punky in at 3.

Criminally underrated, even on his 300th game. No way he's only the 6th best small forward of all time.

He'll likely end up with more goals than Milne in a lower scoring era, twice as many tackles a game, more goal assists, more I50s, more disposals. Matera too.

I think the undisputed top 2 are Cyril and Betts, Betts because we may never see a goal kicker that gifted again and Cyril for all of the things he does, but just sheer consistency of output, longevity in the game and overall reliability you've gotta have Punky in at 3.
I would have had Brent Harvey very high in that list but I assume they classified him as a mid / forward rather than a pure small forward.

On pure ability Jeff Farmer was unstoppable on his day, he was a freak. Mark LeCras was very good as well

But for pure longevity, consistency and being a team player it's hard to go past Bruest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 22. Luke Breust - playing his 300th game in the 2024 semi final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back