24/11/17 6pm National Draft: Picks 47, 51, 58, 60 + 61

Remove this Banner Ad

We can put his payout towards this years TPP meaning there is zero financial burden going forward.

That's not strictly true. If we spend under this year we can spend over next year.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-07/clubs-set-to-spend-up-big-under-new-tpp-system

So in reality there is no way we can pay a player out without it affecting what we can pay the following year.

I'm completely against delisting him. - trading him is another question.
He looked ok on the weekend. If he was delisted and uncontracted I have no doubt other clubs would pick him up..... if we are paying for him we may as well keep him.

This restricted Trengove situation is fanciful.

JT happy to stay.

We offer a low offer because we are not keen.

JT gets offered a better deal because he suits another teams list better than ours and because he costs nothing in terms of trade.

Other team offers overs.

Why do we suddenly decide to up our offer to match what we perceive as an inflated salary.

Why wouldn't JT say thanks very much for our now inflated offer. If such, why didn't we just compromise and pay somewhere in the middle.

Why do we want to annoy JT. Why would other club want to trade when their offer was based upon the premise of paying nothing in terms of trade cost.

He aint Danger. Crows were happy to pay. It's a different ball game. Theres no trade unless it suits the other club more to trade than get him for free.

Why give a club Jacko for free unless they are not a threat to us in the next 5 years. Force a trade!!
It would feel better if we take something from someone else :) picks or players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But won't we lose any compo pick if we trade in a free agent, e.g Motlop?

Good point.

The issue is that if we match Jacko's offer, he doesnt have to go. We know he doesn't really want to leave, do we really want to have a $600k Trengove running around in the reserves because we matched an offer and he chose to stay?

Bye Trengove
Hello Rocky & Menzel

I would laugh so damn hard (not a good happy laugh) if we have spent the whole year not playing Brett Eddy because of his lack of defensive ability/effort and then go on to recruit a guy who has had numerous knee reco's and is defensively about the worst player in the AFL. He doesn't even pretend to try and defend or apply pressure.

A huge nooooooooooooooo for Menzel from me.

I really don't think what we're offering Trengove and what opposition clubs are offering is that big a difference. It's probably barely enough to cover cost of living differences between Adelaide and Melbourne.

The house price boom in Melbourne has created a sort of reverse-COLA scenario for us where players are happy to be paid a little less because they end up with more money in their pocket due to lower cost of living in Adelaide. That and the family/culture at the club has helped to keep players.

The other key point is that we have a senior list of only 38, the 6th lowest cap spend and several base wage senior listed players. We could probably keep Trengove and still have space to add in Rockliff & Motlop.

I really don't think what we're offering Trengove and what opposition clubs are offering is that big a difference. It's probably barely enough to cover cost of living differences between Adelaide and Melbourne.

The house price boom in Melbourne has created a sort of reverse-COLA scenario for us where players are happy to be paid a little less because they end up with more money in their pocket due to lower cost of living in Adelaide. That and the family/culture at the club has helped to keep players.

The other key point is that we have a senior list of only 38, the 6th lowest cap spend and several base wage senior listed players. We could probably keep Trengove and still have space to add in Rockliff & Motlop.

But why?

What role? His output hasn't/won't match his asking price. I love Jacko but when there isn't a spot there isn't a spot. It's only going to get harder for him from here. It depends what his goals are. If he wants to play senior football - he should strongly consider leaving.

I think when considering trades/free agency scenarios for guys like Trengove and Amon we need to consider the fact that we've been kissed on the dick by the injury gods this season.

That doesn't mean paying massive amounts for someone to play reserves all year but it's not a stretch that Jacko could play 15+ games next year, forward, back or in the ruck, without actually being "best 22".

But, is there no spot because he cant play or is there no spot because we literally dont have any injuries this year?

What happens if and or when we are hit by injuries like the past couple of seasons? All of a sudden there is well and truly a spot for him in the side.

The reality is, he is very good back up for just about any spot on the field - but is never going to be first choice.

If he can accept this fact - I would love to keep him... much the same as Lobbe.

Of course, it will 100% depend on his asking price.

Remove this Banner Ad

24/11/17 6pm National Draft: Picks 47, 51, 58, 60 + 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Back