Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game and unfortunately I can't celebrate his game today - on multiple occasions he softed out of contact and there was a distinct lack of gut-running when the play went past him.

I like it when the ball is in his hands but he needs a big lift if he wants to solidify himself in this team IMHO.

Ball pig as a kid, and, by guessing only, it wasnt due to a significant advantage in running capacity. Was he getting it mainly in and under, or more evenly? just going by tv tonight it didnt look like he was even meant to get the ball, like when LDU was mia for long periods. Weird

The midfield mix is a little over the shop. Philips tagging has taken out an attacking player and that is Powell. Definitely needs some more physical development.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was at the game and unfortunately I can't celebrate his game today - on multiple occasions he softed out of contact and there was a distinct lack of gut-running when the play went past him.

I like it when the ball is in his hands but he needs a big lift if he wants to solidify himself in this team IMHO.
I love Powell to a point he’s my favourite player BUT today was his chance to make a statement with George out & he just didn’t take it.
I get the feeling he is not & never will be at the level of George, Sheez , Kerch & co .
I reckon he’s on a one 1 way to ticket to the crows on 2-3 years

I love Powell to a point he’s my favourite player BUT today was his chance to make a statement with George out & he just didn’t take it.
I get the feeling he is not & never will be at the level of George, Sheez , Kerch & co .
I reckon he’s on a one 1 way to ticket to the crows on 2-3 years
Tend to agree. He's a sublimely skilled solid player, but outside of an extra step which seems unlikely at his age the path towards A grade involves him putting an extra 10-15% of run in his game and a mountain of muscle. He will never be fast enough, nor outside enough to not be a grunt mid so he needs to pump that frame IMO.

Tend to agree. He's a sublimely skilled solid player, but outside of an extra step which seems unlikely at his age the path towards A grade involves him putting an extra 10-15% of run in his game and a mountain of muscle. He will never be fast enough, nor outside enough to not be a grunt mid so he needs to pump that frame IMO.

We are at a stage in our development we can try a few things before decision time on talented players. He appears to change his body shape each pre season, which is good, but how that relates to his career, that is the question.

So vanilla.

We needed him to step up today and with George out and LDU tagged - we just got a half assed, yeh no worries, she’ll be right effort.

I genuinely asked if his job security was safe during the week before George got concussed, and after today I can’t see how we pick him ahead of Wardlaw and McKercher in a couple of weeks.

Weird game. You want the ball in his hands because he clearly has skills but he doesn't win it enough.

Clearly not ready.
Im torn on where to play him, he has a 2-3 game spell in the middle where he looked great. But generally as you say he's not getting it enough.
Perhaps one more preseason does it, i dont know. But given we do want the ball in his hands id be considering setting him up long term for half back. Far easier to rack up the 25-30 from there and you know he'll hurt the oppo with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The current long-term A Team for the midfield is:

Xerri, Wardlaw, LDU, McKercher, Scott and Phillips

Anyone not on that list is on the pine, occupying space on a flank or in the VFL. It wasn't long ago that he was holding that last spot and Phillips was in the VFL. I think some spots will be in flux for a while and with injuries there is always opportunity to shine. It is a bit disappointing that without Wardlaw and currently McKercher isn't in the side/not in the midfield that he wasn't able to step up and have more impact.

The issue is going to be, if we take another top midfield talent in the draft then unless you can make some serious inroads your option will be to play a lesser support role or find a different club that doesn't have the same calibre of players ahead of you.

Anyone not on that list is on the pine, occupying space on a flank or in the VFL. It wasn't long ago that he was holding that last spot and Phillips was in the VFL. I think some spots will be in flux for a while and with injuries there is always opportunity to shine. It is a bit disappointing that without Wardlaw and currently McKercher isn't in the side/not in the midfield that he wasn't able to step up and have more impact.

The issue is going to be, if we take another top midfield talent in the draft then unless you can make some serious inroads your option will be to play a lesser support role or find a different club that doesn't have the same calibre of players ahead of you.
Scott in the 'A' team is an oxymoron.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

McKercher and Scott aren't in that list.

McKercher's future is surely as a wing, and Bailey Scott is not and has never been a midfielder.

The proper long-term A Team rotation for the midfield has to be:

Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Phillips, Duursma.

That gives us size, speed, skill, and versatility.

McKercher and Scott aren't in that list.

McKercher's future is surely as a wing, and Bailey Scott is not and has never been a midfielder.

The proper long-term A Team rotation for the midfield has to be:

Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Phillips, Duursma.

That gives us size, speed, skill, and versatility.

The wings are part of the midfield, as is the ruck, which is why I have them included.

So vanilla.

We needed him to step up today and with George out and LDU tagged - we just got a half assed, yeh no worries, she’ll be right effort.

I genuinely asked if his job security was safe during the week before George got concussed, and after today I can’t see how we pick him ahead of Wardlaw and McKercher in a couple of weeks.
Love the “vanilla” reference.
Spot on.

Stats are one thing, the eye ball test and hunger are another.

The stats could also be used advantageously for us in a trade.
Yeah agree, but I wouldn’t be trading him.

He needs preseasons and miles in the legs - lots of them.

Yesterday he had more possessions than Jy, Treloar, Scott, LDU and Philips.

Defensively he’ll improve a lot with a much bigger tank.

I feel trading him would be a mistake because his vision and decision making under pressure are vital to our midfield especially in big games that we will encounter in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back