Player Watch #32: Toby Pink - signed as a DFA - welcome Toby BFNAAK

Remove this Banner Ad

Is limited but structurally important.

Has more presence than what Sellers showed and it in all likelihood has something to do with physical maturity and an ability to not be pushed around as much.

I reckon Teakle is playing a similar role in the twos.

Look at Sellers increased output from the weekend, I would hazard a guess that his increased output is in direct correlation to Teakle taking some heat away from him.

Pink gets a run of games forward to see what he can do and how much we can improve on aggregate as a forwardline with him in there or until Teakle becomes undeniable. Both Sellers and Maley can stay in the twos as neither are anywhere near ready physically.

But is teake as mobile because at his height (203 cm), he might be a bit took lumbering at afl level...

Finnbar by his own admission isn't ready, Sellers needs to build from the weekend to regain his form and confidence. Teakle is the likely next in line, but ideally needs another couple of weeks to settle in and learn the gameplan and forward structure before he plays in the one's.

Toby is doing an adequate job, as a pure structure player and temporary solution to free up Souva.
Give him a virtual tagging role on Moore this week, so Souv can get 1v1 time with Dean.

As with others in this thread, I just wanted to give this boy a shout out. Given such a tough start, credit to him for buttering up and taking on the job he was asked to perform. And his contributions are noteworthy:

1. as a second genuine tall, he liberates Larkey from double-teaming, and let's Zurhaar get to work on on the third tall
2. he's not taking many CM in the F50, but on the other hand he's not out-marked often in a pack, bringing the ball to ground for others to get to work
3. he has excellent hands below his knees, allowing him to use it to good effect by hand (I'd say apart from his structural value, this is his principal footballing attribute - some of his pick-ups are quality)
4. he provides reasonable tackling pressure in the F50, and
5. he gives a bail out option down the wing

The obvious deficiency is set shot kicking, which (optimistically) might be nerves in a very small sample, but might also be irredeemable.

Anyway, given the club isn't putting a high priority on free agents, I think Toby is showing enough to get another year on the list

My 2 cents FWIW

Last edited:
As with others in this thread, I just wanted to give this boy a shout out. Given such a tough start, credit to him for buttering up and taking on the job he was asked to perform. And his contributions are noteworthy:

1. as a second genuine tall, he liberates Larkey from double-teaming, and let's Zurhaar get to work on on the third tall
2. he's not taking many CM in the F50, but on the other hand he's not out-marked often in a pack, bringing the ball to ground for others to get to work
3. he has excellent hands below his knees, allowing him to use it to good effect by hand (I'd say apart from his structural value, this is his principal footballing attribute - some of his pick-ups are quality)

The obvious deficiency is set shot kicking, which (optimistically) might be nerves in a very small sample, but might also be irredeemable.

Anyway, given the club isn't putting a hire priority on free agents, I think Toby is showing enough to get another year on the list

My 2 cents FWIW
Well said.

I'd put his accumulation and disposal in offensive roles largely in the TBC category.

Yes he played forward as a junior but earned his chance playing FB and we don't have a VFL or AFL body of work to demonstrate whether he can get it and use it well enough to contribute a few I50s and 1-2 goals a game himself.

At the moment almost his entire value is being taller than 190cm and able to at least make a defender watch him from afar as they continue to hold on to Larkey.

Which currently makes him our 2nd best tall forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, given the club isn't putting a hire priority on free agents, I think Toby is showing enough to get another year on the list

My 2 cents FWIW
I like this. I know they wear the same number but I think he moves like Mason Wood.

Yep, that’s what I meant. Would it be the logical move? Or is it, too defender heavy? Could also allow him to move chom should he see fit
Well perhaps when Will gets back but his arm will be in a sling with 6-8 weeks on the sidelines with a high-grade AC joint injury. Logue will likely be back soon so I think Will might be put in cotton wool for the rest of the year.

I was bloody pumped for him when he nailed that set shot goal. :)

Watching him as a forward in-person today and he works his ass off.

There's a player here.

Persist.

I was bloody pumped for him when he nailed that set shot goal. :)

Watching him as a forward in-person today and he works his ass off.

There's a player here.

Persist.
Looked shakey off the boot, like one of those golf shots you yank the hell out of but because you push it so much it has the side spin to bring it back.

Hardly convincing but just a small facet he needs to work on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back