Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with roos_fanatic08, the gap between his best and worst is enormous. And unfortunately we don’t get the best anywhere near enough. Was brilliant last week, invisible today. Consistency has to be the aim for him over the next 12 months.

Agree with roos_fanatic08, the gap between his best and worst is enormous. And unfortunately we don’t get the best anywhere near enough. Was brilliant last week, invisible today. Consistency has to be the aim for him over the next 12 months.
I don't think he was invisible at all. His creative handballing was stifled by the south melbourne midfield, and our own drop off. Similar to Wardlaw in both possession numbers and tog of75% ish. No barrel though

I don't think he was invisible at all. His creative handballing was stifled by the south melbourne midfield, and our own drop off. Similar to Wardlaw in both possession numbers and tog of75% ish. No barrel though

Come on, Tommy, give the people what they want….torps….

Year 5 in the system next year. IMHO, that’s when you officially leave the kiddy pool.

Can’t trust him.
He got midfield minutes (13 CBA’s)
And was invisible.
Super disappointing.

I don’t know. 5th season. Kept Phillips out of the side this week. He needs to be able to contribute because he’s played 1 good game in 2 months.

Last edited:
Can’t trust him.
And was invisible.
Super disappointing.

I don’t know. 5th season. Kept Phillips out of the side this week. He needs to be able to contribute because he’s played 1 game in 2 months.
Phillips had 22 in the two's! Tom had a shocker but he gave us 22 reasons in the one's last week why he's the future.

Phillips had 22 in the two's! Tom had a shocker but he gave us 22 reasons in the one's last week why he's the future.
He was due to be dropped before the blinder against the Suns.

It’s a sign of an inconsistent young player coming into his own.
Must do better.

If you're going to go hard critiquing Will. You must do the same for Tom. Both liabilities on the spread at this point if they don't win the footy in the contest. Can they improve their fitness with another big preseason? Time will tell.

If you're going to go hard critiquing Will. You must do the same for Tom. Both liabilities on the spread at this point if they don't win the footy in the contest. Can they improve their fitness with another big preseason? Time will tell.
Tom's played every game this year and has two years on his contract, Will does not. I think we can see where clarko sees the two. Tom's certainly not quick but in a 200m race he's beating Will by at least 30 metres.

Tom's played every game this year and has two years on his contract, Will does not. I think we can see where clarko sees the two. Tom's certainly not quick but in a 200m race he's beating Will by at least 30 metres.
Man, I admire your tenacity and persistence, if not a bit obsessive.

I’d hate to have been a girl that you’d taken a fancy to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t trust him.
And was invisible.
Super disappointing.

I don’t know. 5th season. Kept Phillips out of the side this week. He needs to be able to contribute because he’s played 1 good game in 2 months.

4th season* Like I said the last week, tracking in a similar vein to Jy & LDU at the same point. Sure, isn’t athletically or aesthetically the same as LDU, but should not be given up on because he is inconsistent.

By and large, our whole midfield was invisible, or didn’t make impact, and maybe we need Phillips as a defensive midfielder, but Tom is clearly the better player as of right now and throughout their whole careers.

I have a feeling Will Phillips ran 23.n seconds for a 200 in high school. Dunno about Tom.

Tom is still better on the spread than Will

Obviously the coaches or recruiters/list management rate Tom to lock him away with the contract.
But Will ran 20m in 2.91 secs at the combine. Tom tested 3.04 secs.
Now whether glandular has impacted Will's speed now we don't know but I think it would be close over 200m.

I have a feeling Will Phillips ran 23.n seconds for a 200 in high school. Dunno about Tom.
I was quick in high school too. Not really relevant, he can't or doesn't chase as soon as the ball exits the contest. Watch the two's on the weekend? At this stage of his career if Tom was dropped I'd back him in to have more than 22 in the VFL.

I was quick in high school too. Not really relevant, he can't or doesn't chase as soon as the ball exits the contest. Watch the two's on the weekend? At this stage of his career if Tom was dropped I'd back him in to have more than 22 in the VFL.
I reckon you weren't as quick as Will by the sounds of that. You said Tommy Torps was at least 30m faster than him over 200m. That's 3.8-4.5 seconds for people at their speed.

You can criticise him for three out of every four posts you make if you like but you look a bit silly making up crap like that.

I reckon you weren't as quick as Will by the sounds of that. You said Tommy Torps was at least 30m faster than him over 200m. That's 3.8-4.5 seconds for people at their speed.

You can criticise him for three out of every four posts you make if you like but you look a bit silly making up crap like that.
It’s starting to get annoying. To be fair I think the proof was on the weekend when we got clipped by two top tier mids. Imagine if we played with a defensive run with player to nullify it down to one of them - then we would’ve lost by four goals instead of 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back