Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Before Powell got hit in the back of the ribs, should that have been a free? In real time it look liked it may have been a mark but I’m probably being too one eyed

The only disposal that didn’t hit the target, despite him still going at 100% officially, was a running banana inside 50 that went about 48 meters and fell at the leading fords feet.

Ford took a couple of short steps and let it bounce. He could have got there and attempted to mark at least with a bit of a dive.

Tom Powell (North Melbourne)

“Highest rated player for North Melbourne v Gold Coast, he didn’t get a vote,” Hoyne said on SEN’s Sportsday.

“That was his best game since Round 3. A really balanced game.”

His drop in form was noticeable prior to last Saturday so it’s not surprising to see that’s his best game in months.

That’s the standard now.
I hope Clarko keeps him in the centre bounce rotations.
Would be foolish to mess with his form and pigeon hole him to a flank with Wardlaw back.

He's going to be one solid rooster in a year or 2..
Hope so, that with a tank and his skillset it is the way as I don't think he'll ever have the run to be out of the contest too much.

He's going to be one solid rooster in a year or 2..

I remember his first gamer when I was like jesus we can't send that kid out his balls haven't dropped yet

Before Powell got hit in the back of the ribs, should that have been a free? In real time it look liked it may have been a mark but I’m probably being too one eyed
The beauty of that is how he played after that hit.

He wore that and threw himself at everything afterward. I'm so impressed with his game at the weekend.

When Clarko said he wanted players who could stand up in September he was talking about players who did what Tommy did late in the game on the weekend. Also Jacko and Bailey Scott. There were others as well, more obvious players I guess - Sheeze, LDU, JY, Corr, Chom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said previously, he makes good decisions and is a good kicker of the ball i50.

Loved the torp on the weekend. Hopefully now fans can see his potential. Maybe he doesn't need to be in the center all the time, could be a very handy flanker.
He played better in the middle? The previous three weeks he was predominantly on a flank and had little impact. I agree he could be handy on a flank but his good performances have been when he's had solid mid minutes.

His drop in form was noticeable prior to last Saturday so it’s not surprising to see that’s his best game in months.

That’s the standard now.
Would be foolish to mess with his form and pigeon hole him to a flank with Wardlaw back.

Whose rotations does he take though?

That’s the standard now.

I really think that he could act as a defensive sweeping mid or 7th defender and patrol the arcs: pushing back when we have won the footy on the back half and being that last kick out of the defensive 50. The guy sees the game as well as Sheezel, has tonnes of offensive smarts and is just about the best kick in the side.

Use his strengths.

He played better in the middle? The previous three weeks he was predominantly on a flank and had little impact. I agree he could be handy on a flank but his good performances have been when he's had solid mid minutes.

What I mean is, don’t expect him to be a clearance bull and 30+ possession maker, but he makes good decisions, and we need players that can do that.

When it’s not on his terms he needs to find a way to stay involved.

He was so flat footed and reactive around the stoppages today.

At his best he is so bloody good, at his worst (today) he is a liability because he is so poor defensively.

The void between his best and worst games needs to get smaller if he is to become the player we all want him to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back