Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom would've last a half. They both don't have the fitness required.
Will at least has it in him to work himself until he's well and truly cooked. I haven't seen Tom "empty out".
Watch the VFL replay and tell me if you think Will has it in him to empty out. Running on the spot, avoiding chasing. Tom's guilty of it too but not to the same extent and after getting called out for it, his chase efforts have been better. Will's response to being dropped at a pivotal moment in his career was pathetic, he wont be in the coaches votes... again. Jack Mahony had a better game than him, let that sink in.

Watch the VFL replay and tell me if you think Will has it in him to empty out. Running on the spot, avoiding chasing. Tom's guilty of it too but not to the same extent and after getting called out for it, his chase efforts have been better. Will's response to being dropped at a pivotal moment in his career was pathetic, he wont be in the coaches votes... again. Jack Mahony had a better game than him, let that sink in.
Cannot get over how critical you are of Phillips, has he done something to you? feel like you live on BF to pot him, is weird

Didn't watch the VFL. I was talking about the Daicos game, never seen Powell run until exhausted but he's not alone. Powell might have more metres gained but he's played 10 more games and 23 more AFL games in total so he should really be more AFL match fit than Phillips. Powell hasn't been the sub or subbed out either from memory.
Anyway they've both got work to do and Powell is likely a season ahead in terms of preseasons without interruptions imo and in playing games of AFL footy (23 more games), so he should be and is the better player of the two right now, but that doesn't change the concerns about both of their levels of fitness and effort defensively.

Didn't watch the VFL. I was talking about the Daicos game, never seen Powell run until exhausted but he's not alone. Powell might have more metres gained but he's played 10 more games and 23 more AFL games in total so he should really be more AFL match fit than Phillips. Powell hasn't been the sub or subbed out either from memory.
Anyway they've both got work to do and Powell is likely a season ahead in terms of preseasons without interruptions imo and in playing games of AFL footy (23 more games), so he should be and is the better player of the two right now, but that doesn't change the concerns about both of their levels of fitness and effort defensively.
Please watch the VFL replay. Tom's got two years and I don't think Will's on a list next year. If he is I think it's as a rookie, there's probably 20 better performing mids in the VFL alone. He's miles off it.

Please watch the VFL replay. Tom's got two years and I don't think Will's on a list next year. If he is I think it's as a rookie, there's probably 20 better performing mids in the VFL alone. He's miles off it.
As I said before if we delist and try to rookie him another team like Tigers will take him in the rookie draft before us.
Will either gets a 2 year contract or is told to explore his options, which one it is we'll find out soon enough.
Powell has two years to get fitter or he'll be phased out by some of the younger mids in time and will either be traded or leaves in free agency at 25 yo. It's up to the both of them to get fitter and perform more consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wills tidier but doesnt show the mobility of tom, which is interesting because tom early on was super tidy.
I’m not comparing the two of them I’m pointing out that Will Phillips is held to a completely different set of standards compared to the rest of our team.

Last edited:
Not sure where Powell's at. One good game followed by 2-3 poor ones seems to be his pattern. I'm not convinced he is an AFL standard midfielder. He's probably a B Grader at best. A C Grader at worst. His size & speed are his issues. Gee that draft is looking like an almighty bust as it stands.

15 CBA’s today.
Had 75% time on ground too.

We were up for the fight and in the contest all day and all he could do was muster up 11 disposals. Come on Tommy.
Thats taking the piss now.
Simply not good enough.

4th season, career best year, inconsistent young player - all valid.

But he can’t hold onto that Gold Coast game forever.
He was due to be dropped then and he should 100% be in the gun now.
One good game in close to 3 months now.

Not sure where Powell's at. One good game followed by 2-3 poor ones seems to be his pattern. I'm not convinced he is an AFL standard midfielder. He's probably a B Grader at best. A C Grader at worst. His size & speed are his issues. Gee that draft is looking like an almighty bust as it stands.
I don’t mind him. :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back