Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you saying we may have a future shitmen? We it would seem have cornered the ****ing market.
Surely not.

Yes he is statistically right in the mix for shitmen status. JZ is being hammered on these boards gets the ball 13.83 disposals per game. Powells gets it 14.56.

He still has an immature body, and I'm sure once he thickens up, he will be a much better footballer.
So what you’re saying is - he’s no longer a shitmen?

A bit hard to be consistent when he hasn't had the luxury of a regular position to concentrate on, i've seen him everywhere from back pocket and kicking in, centre bounces, wing , HFF, run with roles etc, etc, but in the end, i'm sure it will serve him well, has some very nice tools in his kitbag.

His influence across half back shouldn’t be underestimated. I think he can have some flexibility playing back and mid.

It’s a deep midfield and these quality players are adding strings to their bow that are going to make us bloody difficult to beat in the next 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe its just wishful thinking but i see him more up on his toes wanting to not miss the jump at stoppages these days. like the instruction is to try and add some crackhead wardlaw activity to his inside game. i didnt see it manifest in much change in outcomes, it looked still more reaction than action. i've seen him add some physicality to his grunt work as he's chubbed up, so in my mind at least its good to imagine him not overlooking this aspect. :insert jcvd training gif:

Just makes a win even better when l see this…the youngsters 🥃

Don’t mind him on the HB working up the ground. He has the skills.

He was caught ball watching a few times in the first quarter which is simply something he can’t do if he is to have a future playing in the role, however.

Just makes a win even better when l see this…the youngsters 🥃

Need the ball in his hands 30+ times per game instead of Simpkin. Like Sheezel, things actually happen when Powell gets the footy forward of centre.

If he can add a bit more strength and improve his running capacity again he’ll be a genuine gun in the Mitch Duncan mould next year.

Goes missing at stoppage when it’s tough - needs to completely overhaul his ability to handle late game situations at CBA’s.

Imagine if this bloke had a tank and could cruise up and down a wing all day racking up quality touches.

He is a conundrum but in fairness is still 21 - but there are some consistent flaws when it gets white hot around the pill that don’t seem to be discussed a lot.

Seems to lack the ability to get his hands on it when it steps up a notch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back