Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to get afl midfielder fit. Needs to be flogged over preseason, like all of them.
Is still the biggest issue at the club, fitness across the board is not where it needs to be. Has improved from last year so on right track

For me anyway, its hard to judge these mids. LDU burst from a stoppage.. ooooh ahhhhh. Might not any one of the other 5 or so guys around there have done the same if that were their role? its too easy, bombarded by the commentators nonsense, to forget this is a team sport. Ability does not equal opportunity and output does not equal ability. selectors list managers and coaches weild some weird vooodo deciding who gets what opportunities and for how long we arent privileged. Do we know that in 40 simulations LDU broke away from his one on one to find the tap zone 50% of the time amd our next best did it 35%? No. Do we know that the next best at getting seperation at stoppages runs at 20% better ball use by foot, in simulations.. No.

Anyway as always, compare them against.. what? Stats dont expain context. He didnt get clearances when it was tough eh, was that even his role. Computer says..

When he is on he's great, but yeah. He disappears a little too often to not leave a question mark. Still has largely improved incrementally each year. If he can build over the next 12-24 months to be a more consistent version of his better football this year we'd be comfortable with that.

When he is on he's great, but yeah. He disappears a little too often to not leave a question mark. Still has largely improved incrementally each year. If he can build over the next 12-24 months to be a more consistent version of his better football this year we'd be comfortable with that.

Still think he is going to be one of those players that really takes off around 24 or so when they develop the right type body. While everyone has focused on Will's glandular, one thing he has on his side is a well developed body. Powell doesn't have that, it is why he looks so different year on year.

Still think he is going to be one of those players that really takes off around 24 or so when they develop the right type body. While everyone has focused on Will's glandular, one thing he has on his side is a well developed body. Powell doesn't have that, it is why he looks so different year on year.
Agree he has made big steps each year physically, it hasn't always translated directly to better form but there is no arguing that he has improved size and endurance respectively each year. He is clearly talented, very pure hit of the ball by foot and obviously creative by hand. I agree with you - and looks like the club does too - that he will be a slow burn.

I think he will never be the most explosive, quickest or strongest. His skills will always be there though, if he can be fit enough and big enough to be in games from beginning to end those skills will be dangerous. The kind of bloke you want popping up in the last quarter when the others are tiring because he will hit targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This happened with Cunners and LDU too.

People here still think players are playing where they are named on Thursday selection night?! yep & Fisher is our key CHF ?! 🤦‍♂️
Jeez you are bitter, not sure that’s worth a face palm.

Is there a CHF position these days mate?

Pretty confident you’re ITK stuff would confirm that’s not really how it’s referenced or are you just dumbing it down for us?

I’ll bet a decent wad of cash that Powell spends time at half back this week and then I can pop up a roll eye emoji at you for fun.

I’m authentically concerned at the state of your mental health mate - are you ok?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back