AFL Player #29: Jake Kelly - Announces Retirement. Thanks Bull! 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

He was recruited to lock down on the small forwards eg Cody Weightman

Since around midway through the year, he has absolutely fallen off a cliff. He just panics any time the ball is near now.

He hasn’t been the same in defense since he was trialled on the wing imo

He's gone 9 games without a single tackle from 19 games this year. Only 24 for the year. I think he's been decent for us overall but i think the end has snuck up quickly. Will be 30 before round 1 and doesn't do anything particularly well anymore that i can see. His defending has been average to poor at different times in the back half of the year and that was supposed to be his 1 wood.

Delist unfortunately

He's gone 9 games without a single tackle from 19 games this year. Only 24 for the year. I think he's been decent for us overall but i think the end has snuck up quickly. Will be 30 before round 1 and doesn't do anything particularly well anymore that i can see. His defending has been average to poor at different times in the back half of the year and that was supposed to be his 1 wood.

Delist unfortunately
Geez that's a damning stat. Especially when he was rated as the 3rd worst 1 on 1 defender in the comp or something like that

Geez that's a damning stat. Especially when he was rated as the 3rd worst 1 on 1 defender in the comp or something like that
Lost a fair bit of agility by the look of it, the best he can do a lot of the time is try and corral. The other thing is he's getting lost a bit in the defensive structure and he's struggling to impact contests even as a spare in a 2v1

Lost a fair bit of agility by the look of it, the best he can do a lot of the time is try and corral. The other thing is he's getting lost a bit in the defensive structure and he's struggling to impact contests even as a spare in a 2v1

There’s every chance I’m buying into my own conspiracy here, but I’m certain he’s looked completely lost down back since he returned from his stint on the wing.

There’s every chance I’m buying into my own conspiracy here, but I’m certain he’s looked completely lost down back since he returned from his stint on the wing.
I think it is as simple as his form has declined although I will say he has not been as good since he got knocked out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly he's the exact type of player that sums up Essendon for the past 20 years.
No he is exactly the type of player that gets a game because too many others are too soft and can not follow a game plan to save themselves. That is the problem.

I have no idea why we even recruited him in the first place.

And because he's essentially been a best 22 player for the past 3 years we haven't prioritised finding anyone better. Who's going to step into his role when he's (hopefully) delisted? 0-gamer El-Hawli?

Because Cody Weighman gave us a bath in a finals game and he was rated statistically as a good 1 vs 1 defender.

Also we hadn’t given up on McGrath as a mid at that stage

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #29: Jake Kelly - Announces Retirement. Thanks Bull! 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back