Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Class disposal doesn’t always have to be 50m bullet passes and silky running bounces and slotting goals at top speed.

There is some real simple genius in the way Will plays footy and how he disposes of the ball. Always kicks to advantage of our players. Doesn’t over kick or try to re-invent the wheel. Just hits the target or gives the receiver a 70/30 chance at marking the ball.

Small and quick handballs that release the receiver into space are so valuable in a game where congestion is almost a gameplan at stoppages.

People forget, Tom Mitchell won a Brownlow off that exact type of skill set. Will may never be flashy and also has his flaws and improvements to be made but I really see a player there. Hope he keeps building !

Phillips to Libba or Treloar next week?
Probably Libba.
As good a job as Will has done, I think Treloar will run him absolutely ragged and tag would be broken by half time.

Like tonight for example, Oliver’s main damage is normally done at the coalface of the stoppage, which probably suits Will right now with less ground to cover.

Libba does it in a similar way, probably a little better than Oliver as a true clearance mid.
I’d guess Will/coaching staff would be more confident in him stopping someone inside a stoppage rather than someone looking to hurt him on the spread, something Libba generally speaking isn’t looking to do but Treloar would almost definitely try to do almost exclusively if Will went to him

Could go a long way if win the clearance battle to keeping it very competitive next week

I’m rapt for the bloke. He must’ve felt like he had the world on his shoulders a few weeks ago as his footy career’s demise was staring him in the face.

Onya Will. 👍

Sign him to a decent extension please Euge.

Probably Libba.
As good a job as Will has done, I think Treloar will run him absolutely ragged and tag would be broken by half time.

Like tonight for example, Oliver’s main damage is normally done at the coalface of the stoppage, which probably suits Will right now with less ground to cover.

Libba does it in a similar way, probably a little better than Oliver as a true clearance mid.
I’d guess Will/coaching staff would be more confident in him stopping someone inside a stoppage rather than someone looking to hurt him on the spread, something Libba generally speaking isn’t looking to do but Treloar would almost definitely try to do almost exclusively if Will went to him

Could go a long way if win the clearance battle to keeping it very competitive next week
Agree he should go to Libba but I would argue he could not go to Treloar . Treloar does not run as much or work as hard as Nick Daicos . So Will has proven he can run with that sort of player too . Not just inside mids. I’m now in the camp more than ever where I don’t buy Will was “gassed” last week. There was something else going on for him to be subbed off or Clarko just stuffed this one up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we paid pick 3 for a tagger. Who cares? We certainly can’t let this guy walk out cheap from our club this year.
Anthony Stevens started out as a tagger….over time not only shut out his opponent but became damaging in his own right, the very best tiggers do. For me Will Phil has elite disposal worthy of a #3 draft pick, playing him as a tagger against the oppositions best runners forces him to go with them and use games as conditioning and be where the ball is. I know a few horse trainers will say the same, ie/ racing is the best conditioning, not trackwork, or trials(or VFL!!). That's where I see Will Phil at, keep backing up against the best opposition and his tank will get there and his talent will shine through, hopefully in the royal blue and white.

You Got This Hedgehog GIF by MOODMAN

A couple absolute dimes i50 lastnight. Glad to see he’s finally given a shot and is putting it together. I’ve ranted about it before but there is nobody else on our list who can kick the well weighted drop punts like he does.

A couple absolute dimes i50 lastnight. Glad to see he’s finally given a shot and is putting it together. I’ve ranted about it before but there is nobody else on our list who can kick the well weighted drop punts like he does.
How was the kick to Curtis for an uncontested mark 20m out in the 1st, unfortunately Gawn got a bullshit free off the ball. Not the first time I've seen him do it either, remember very similar one against the blue baggers a couple of years ago

How was the kick to Curtis for an uncontested mark 20m out in the 1st, unfortunately Gawn got a bullshit free off the ball. Not the first time I've seen him do it either, remember very similar one against the blue baggers a couple of years ago
It was ridiculous haha, his kicking is an art and he is Picasso.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back