Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, will tune later tonight, but you don’t generally mince your words or play favourites, so sounds like he continues to make some progress in his possible new role.
Just some promising signs and maybe this new role is dragging him into the play .
Don’t expect an outstanding game but he was involved a lot.

Did well enough

Okay game. He was fumbly at times but overall we got a full game into him and he got a win in front of his family.
Onwards an upwards.

Do still prefer him as a tagger for now though.

With LDU, Sheezel and Wardlaw he’ll be fine. If he can form some sort of foursome with those guys, he’ll make it.
He's not ahead of Powelly to crack that foursome. And this is the point; he's fringe / depth at best.

We tagged for three weeks, we didn't win any of these games. We won both either side. Will's the only one in the side that can't rest anywhere but the pine, wardlaw in next week, I'm pretty sure clarko is not going to rob Powell of minutes in the middle anymore.

Yeah Rowell was first quarter, then went to Touk and did a solid job. Stood Anderson who got away from him a bit, but I would like to see his TOG % to make an evaluation overall.

Edit: 69% TOG.

Only Tess and Taylor had less.
So he tagged the entire midfield?

Yeah Rowell was first quarter, then went to Touk and did a solid job. Stood Anderson who got away from him a bit, but I would like to see his TOG % to make an evaluation overall.

Edit: 69% TOG.

Only Tess and Taylor had less.
We didn't tag at all. His low TOG is due to his lack of fitness and inability to rest forward or back.

Where am I wrong? There are people on here quoting that he did a good job on Rowell! Where does he rest when he's not on ball?
Give it a spell. You’re arguing for the sake of arguing.
He’s a heart and soul player and every great team needs one. He helps balance our midfield out and gives us more grunt.

He is still developing and in the near future your comments are going to look pretty stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone share insight to his game? I wasn’t able to attend and I found it quite hard seeing him at stoppages on TV but I saw him at times on Rowell, Anderson and Miller.

Was he tagging still?

Give it a spell. You’re arguing for the sake of arguing.
He’s a heart and soul player and every great team needs one. He helps balance our midfield out and gives us more grunt.

He is still developing and in the near future your comments are going to look pretty stupid.
So he's a heart and soul player? And that's where I was wrong?

Can anyone share insight to his game? I wasn’t able to attend and I found it quite hard seeing him at stoppages on TV but I saw him at times on Rowell, Anderson and Miller.

Was he tagging still?
We didn't tag. He is however the heart and soul of our football club and his 12 disposals were brilliant.

Was he tagging still?
Same boat mate. I had to look up on my phone if he was playing at one point because I hadn’t heard his name or seen him yet. Couldn’t find him at stoppages in the vision either.

We didn't tag. He is however the heart and soul of our football club and his 12 disposals were brilliant.

Your continued laying the boots into Will a few weeks ago was hard enough to take. It was cheap and malicious because he looked like he was losing his career.

But to continue with this pathetic vendetta at a time when he has fought back to be a member of the team that has started to play well is a disgrace. I would go as far to say it reflects on you as a person.

Swallow the pride. Admit you went too hard. Because this is just utter bullshit.

Your continued laying the boots into Will a few weeks ago was hard enough to take. It was cheap and malicious because he looked like he was losing his career.

But to continue with this pathetic vendetta at a time when he has fought back to be a member of the team that has started to play well is a disgrace. I would go as far to say it reflects on you as a person.

Swallow the pride. Admit you went too hard. Because this is just utter bullshit.
How am I wrong? Think you're getting a little melodramatic about a footy forum! Cheap and malicious? I don't think me posting shit on here affects Will Phillips.

12 possessions, only 4 contested, playing as an inside mid. Basically half (or less) the output of everyone else on both teams. Unless Will gets a tagging role, surely George comes straight in for him. Otherwise Will is just taking midfield time from Harry and Tom.

I hope he plays the season out so we give him every opportunity to make tagging role a success
Dropping achieves nothing imo
Dropping him gives others more midfield minutes.
I personally would prefer Sheezel & Powell get more mid minutes than Phillips.
I’m happy for him to stay in this week against Sydney to do a tagging role, but if he isn’t shutting out his opponent, he needs to be more productive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back