Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - dropped vs WBD - no matchup vs Doggies, or is he done at NMFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

They both controlled the midfield, once you present a change in tactic, like as tag, clubs start to prepare for it. Both the Dogs and the Dees controlled the midfield in the games. I don't see why a better midfield in the Swans would have the same result. Against the Suns, it was when we started to loosen the tag that we improved. I just don't think it made a lot of difference.

Against the Pies, it was unexpected and worked well. Having said that, it was a unicorn of a performance from us all over the ground. It definitely disrupted them.
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that our best games this year have been when we have played with a defensive mid. Either tagging or blocking to allow LDU Sheez George to put space between them and the opposing player.

You can say whatever you want man but if Will didn’t play in the Dogs and Dees games we would’ve been pantsed like we were on the weekend.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that our best games this year have been when we have played with a defensive mid. Either tagging or blocking to allow LDU Sheez George to put space between them and the opposing player.

You can say whatever you want man but if Will didn’t play in the Dogs and Dees games we would’ve been pantsed like we were on the weekend.
So you're telling me you know better than Clarko and our coaching/match committee?

I'm sharing my views and opinion as a spectator based off facts since post bye. What are you basing your constant verbal diarrhea off?
Responding to idiots like you who clearly have no idea about footy. Post bye we've won two games and didn't tag in either, we won't tag again for the year.

Responding to idiots like you who clearly have no idea about footy. Post bye we've won two games and didn't tag in either, we won't tag again for the year.
We bet a WAFL side in WCE at the time, and Gold Coast who haven’t won on the road. Gold Coast game WP was playing as a defensive mid blocking for other mids.

Although it was great to snag a couple of Ws, our efforts against Melbourne Collingwood and Dogs; three quality standard teams in the league, are probably more to hang our hats on than beating WAFL sides. WP was influential in all of them

We bet a WAFL side in WCE at the time, and Gold Coast who haven’t won on the road. Gold Coast game WP was playing as a defensive mid blocking for other mids.

Although it was great to snag a couple of Ws, our efforts against Melbourne Collingwood and Dogs; three quality standard teams in the league, are probably more to hang our hats on than beating WAFL sides. WP was influential in all of them
Agree to disagree. Seasons nearly over and he doesn't have a contract. He's playing in the two's. We've got professional coaches who aren't playing him, I don't think he was influential and his fitness is a liability. He won't play again this weekend because he's not good enough, not because of some conspiracy against Will.

But to let him go to the trade would mean we get a 3rd round, why take train him up like danny jacobs and turn him into the very best of what he could be instead of what we think he should be.

Being pick 3 doesn't mean he has to be top 3 mid in the comp, but he could very well be a very useful player for us.

But to let him go to the trade would mean we get a 3rd round, why take train him up like danny jacobs and turn him into the very best of what he could be instead of what we think he should be.

Being pick 3 doesn't mean he has to be top 3 mid in the comp, but he could very well be a very useful player for us.
Who da fook is Danny Jacobs? It's up to Will, dropped for the weekend and he responds with 22 and some average efforts. His fitness is nowhere near the standard required.

Think you mean Benny Jacobs

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're telling me you know better than Clarko and our coaching/match committee?
The idea to get Phillips to tag wasn’t even Clarkos.

He had a mare on the weekend.
Selection and game plan was a mess.

Did I expect us to lose by 13 goals? No.
But pound for pound that’s a 5 goal loss on the road to the top of the ladder side if everything didn’t go wrong.

Don't mind if he comes in to tag but not on Cripps who's too big. That leaves Walsh but I don't think he has the running power. :think:

The idea to get Phillips to tag wasn’t even Clarkos.

He had a mare on the weekend.
Selection and game plan was a mess.

Did I expect us to lose by 13 goals? No.
But pound for pound that’s a 5 goal loss on the road to the top of the ladder side if everything didn’t go wrong.
And it's been abandoned, fair to say the coaching staff don't believe it was successful or sustainable.

You don't tag the opposition's second or third best mid, it makes no sense at all.
Fair point. I rate Will but yea ideally a tagger blankets the oppo best mid.

But Will simply can't be expected to tag Bont, Cripps, Fyfe etc. So that creates a selection issue if he doesn't earn his spot through other means.

As he was in our best games last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You ABSOLUTELY tag the oppositions 2nd or 3rd "best".

Firstly, because what some might consider the best aren't actually the ones deep numbers spit out as being the best mid. Secondly, you sometimes tag the players you can tag instead of throwing a tagger to a player like Cripps who is often just too massive and gifted to effectively blunt with a tag. Thirdly, what players like Cripps hate most is having to go head to head with a player like LDU - for example - who they have to defend in transition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - dropped vs WBD - no matchup vs Doggies, or is he done at NMFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back