Preview 2nd qualifying final 2016: Geelong v Hawthorn, 9 September 2016, 7.50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not particularly relevant but as I was searching for an appropriate photo I came across this one and thought I'd share it here.

View attachment 285417

I'd do anything to go back in time and to watch these two carve up the opposition again. Ah.....the good old days.

Bloody beautiful that is. Always relevant!

Last edited:

Selling a category 5 Q30 row J, family ticket 2 adults 2 kids if anyone interested check the stickies ticket thread. Cheers.

Who are Geelongs bottom 6 players and how do they stack up against our bottom 6?

Both teams have a very good top end but this match could very possibly come down to each teams respective bottom 6 players.

FWIW I would have Hartung, Fitzpatrick, Shoey, Burton, Mcevoy and maybe Sicily or Whitex as our potential bottom 6.

Who are Geelongs bottom 6 players and how do they stack up against our bottom 6?

Both teams have a very good top end but this match could very possibly come down to each teams respective bottom 6 players.

FWIW I would have Hartung, Fitzpatrick, Shoey, Burton, Mcevoy and maybe Sicily or Whitex as our potential bottom 6.
Haven't seen a heap of them this year but from what I have seen I would hazard a guess that their bottom 6 is (in no particular order and assuming no changes from their rnd23 line up):
Bews
Ruggles
Cowan
Stanley
McCarthy
Smith

Others who might be contenders if I'm wrong could be Kolodjashnij, Menegola or Caddy.

A few of them are nominally defenders based on profiles available online but most seem to rotate through the middle too. That's guys like Bews, Ruggles and Cowan. A part from Enright these are the players I assume will have to play on our small forwards. If so we should definitely have the advantage providing our guys have space inside 50 to work. So Gunston, Schoey, etc will need to somehow drag Taylor, Lonergan, etc away from goal.

Their rucks may be better but I wouldn't think significantly so. And their bottom few mids are going to have a size advantage on our respective bottom few mids. I think ours have better running capacity and cleaner skills.

Seems fairly evenly matched in terms of quality but if we can take advantage of our small forwards advantage then it could be the difference.

There is some interesting discussion of this very thing on the main board preview thread...

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ong-v-hawthorn-mcg-fri-sept-9-7-50pm.1143608/

I thought that photo was the aftermath of the square-up for Hocking stamping on Platten's head.
You're probably right. Overall it was probably a square up for the violent crap Geelong were dishing out so Dipper let Hocking know about it. Although I never did see the Platten incident. So is that what happened - have always wondered.

Last edited:

Burton is number one. It says so in his title, Ryan burton, chosen one :)

You're probably right. Overall it was probably a square up for the violent crap Geelong were dishing out so Dipper let Hocking know about. Although I never did see the Platten incident. So is that what happened - have always wondered.

I'm the same. I have never understood what happened to Platten. What did happen?

I love Ayres story about his hit on Ablett. Ayres thinks he flushed Ablett better than he has ever flushed anyone, and Ablett got straight up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they tag Mitchell is there a chance we do the same trick as in 2013GF and get Mitchell to run interference in the clearances? He could also just match danger at stoppages which could help break the tag.
Mitch stood with Danger in rd1. Didn't quite work, but than again JOR was playing in the midfield and Shiels wasn't. That made a huge difference.

I know it's not particularly relevant but as I was searching for an appropriate photo I came across this one and thought I'd share it here.

View attachment 285417

I'd do anything to go back in time and to watch these two carve up the opposition again. Ah.....the good old days.
That is just the greatest photo ever.

A slow build up, the last 3 hours will go pretty fast when I'm sinking beers on Swan Street....
I'm catching a 19 hour flight from the middle east and landing at 17:10. Hoping traffic aint too bad and I can be there in time for the opening bounce!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back