Preview 2nd qualifying final 2016: Geelong v Hawthorn, 9 September 2016, 7.50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if the potential for heavy rain hurts or helps us.

On the plus side it basically takes Porkins out of the equation and it probably limits Menzel as he appears to be a lead and mark/pack mark forward from what I've seen. They definitely shpukdht be able to beat us by kicking it on the talk forwards' heads.

It also makes it harder for their backmen to take lots of marks and means our better foot skills will probably come to the for.

With the ball hitting the ground more it gives our small forwards more opportunities and exposes their small defenders (their biggest weakness).

On the other hand, they are a better contested ball winning side and wet weather footy is all about getting the ball moving forward in any way possible. This coupled with our poor tackling could really hurt if we are getting smashed at clearances. Hill, Hartung, Smith and Lewis' tackling could be an issue in particular.

It takes our short passing/measured build up style out of the equation and our tendency to over handball could be exposed. Although this might not be bad if we can play in a more adhoc fashion and create some uncertainty.

Our tap-ons will be much harder to execute as well.

Overall, it probably advantages us slightly provided we do okay in the clearances and stick our tackles.

The whole football world wants us to lose this game. Everyday there is a new blueprint on how to beat the hawks.

Haters gona hate

You might be surprised. Geelong don't exactly have that many friends themselves (outside of their flog media cheersquad). In particular, the way their entitled pack of sooks carry on has put plenty of people off.

yeah, am really relishing all the anti-hawk sookiness on here. too funny. our lucky, no-talent era has caused quite a few long-term scars :D

don't think we're gonna win friday but **** me, if we do there's gonna be a cry of DDOS proportions.

Not sure if the potential for heavy rain hurts or helps us.

On the plus side it basically takes Porkins out of the equation and it probably limits Menzel as he appears to be a lead and mark/pack mark forward from what I've seen. They definitely shpukdht be able to beat us by kicking it on the talk forwards' heads.

It also makes it harder for their backmen to take lots of marks and means our better foot skills will probably come to the for.

With the ball hitting the ground more it gives our small forwards more opportunities and exposes their small defenders (their biggest weakness).

On the other hand, they are a better contested ball winning side and wet weather footy is all about getting the ball moving forward in any way possible. This coupled with our poor tackling could really hurt if we are getting smashed at clearances. Hill, Hartung, Smith and Lewis' tackling could be an issue in particular.

It takes our short passing/measured build up style out of the equation and our tendency to over handball could be exposed. Although this might not be bad if we can play in a more adhoc fashion and create some uncertainty.

Our tap-ons will be much harder to execute as well.

Overall, it probably advantages us slightly provided we do okay in the clearances and stick our tackles.
The more rain the better! I reckon it clearly favours us.

Like you say it makes Hawkins job that much harder, along with Smith and Stanley when they push forward. If their midfield can get clean clearances and deliver it lace out to their leading talls then we'll be cooked. Much harder to do in the wet.

Through the midfield they will have a tougher time running and handballing to the over lap player with a wet ball.

And in the backline it makes it harder for their talls to mark the balls we want on the ground for our smalls.

Yeah our kicking game is hurt by it but I think these other advantages more than make up for that. Plus we're used to playing in those conditions from wet games in Tassie and the occasional wet one at the G. We tap it on and kick it off the ground, playing a game of territory gaining.

We just need to hope our guys have the right boots on...

You might be surprised. Geelong don't exactly have that many friends themselves (outside of their flog media cheersquad). In particular, the way their entitled pack of sooks carry on has put plenty of people off.

Maybe your right. But to compare, why is there no talk of Hawthorn tagging Dangerfield? He is arguably the best player in the league. Yet I hear everyday that Mitchel must be tagged.

I dont think its that obvious we will lose contested ball, i can see a hunger for the contest coming to the fore like we havent seen all year, someone mentioned the 1st qtr against the roos, would not be surprised if we bring that manic offensive attack around the ball all game. This could be 1 last tilt at a flag for alot of the senior boys so i can see them leaving nothing out on the ground, if we get a collective effort from other crucial components such as bruest,gunston, poppy, hill, smith and hartung than geelong will find it tough to win imo.

I'm catching a 19 hour flight from the middle east and landing at 17:10. Hoping traffic aint too bad and I can be there in time for the opening bounce!

Let's hope you're cleared to land, 30mm of rain Friday. I'd be leaving your bags at the airport and getting the furst über to the ground to ensure you get there before half time.

Let's hope you're cleared to land, 30mm of rain Friday. I'd be leaving your bags at the airport and getting the furst über to the ground to ensure you get there before half time.
Yeah, i'll be seeing what time we hit the ground. The 1st plan is to grab a skybus and leave the bags at Spencer st. If we're running late then i'll definitely be using that option!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the plan! Is there also a tram that goes straight up flinders st to the G still?
If you are coming from Flinders I'd just walk along the yarra behind fed square and over the foot bridge

Stop over the top goals Hawks win. That is all

Agreed. Cats do get a lot of sling shot style goals. Our defenders can't get sucked too far up the ground and we need to use the ball smartly.

While we don't want Taylor and co taking mark after mark, we also don't want Motflop, Duncan etc getting cheapies over the back after a turnover in the middle due to over hand balling or playing too cute.

Agreed. Cats do get a lot of sling shot style goals. Our defenders can't get sucked too far up the ground and we need to use the ball smartly.

While we don't want Taylor and co taking mark after mark, we also don't want Motflop, Duncan etc getting cheapies over the back after a turnover in the middle due to over hand balling or playing too cute.

Great points. Clarko and co have a lot to think about. Fitzy should help address the forward 50 issue meaning we don't have to over commit at the other end.

I can understand the reasoning if Shelis play loose as i think Langford would have more of an impact in that regard. But if Shiels goes to Danger or possibly Selwood and limits the impact he could be a massive factor.
It's all dependent on the role he plays.
im a shiels fan but once again depends on his role he a must have with pressure.
who goes to danger shiels whitecross or bring in langers? would like to see whitey get a crack

So according to Hodgey, the whole 1 game in 20 odd days is not a good thing. So from that, we have just unlocked the plan. We will lose this game on friday night and go the 2 games in 20 odd days road to reach a prelim.

So according to Hodgey, the whole 1 game in 20 odd days is not a good thing. So from that, we have just unlocked the plan. We will lose this game on friday night and go the 2 games in 20 odd days road to reach a prelim.

Its not a good thing but a home Prelim at the MCG sure as hell is better than a trip to Sydney.

My team:

Out: Hartung, Pittonet, Sicily

In: Langford, McEvoy, Stratton

FF: Gunston - Fitz-Magic - Puopolo
HF: Breust - Schoey - Rioli
Ce: Shiels - Hodge - Smith
HB: Birchall - Gibson - Stratton
FB: Duryea - Frawley - Burgoyne

Ru: McEvoy
RR: Lewis
Ro: Mitchell

I/C: Hill, Whitey, Langford and Burton