Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

George is my favourite of the new generation, but Harry is insanely good at absolutely everything the game is about. Tough inside, clearance beast, incredible hands, vision, foot skills, faultless in front of of goals, and has not played a single poor game in the 30-something he has played to date.

Sure, Daicos is also a gun and already has a flag. I see is the #1 contested possession player in the comp, which is crazy given his size and role, but Harry is neck and neck with him on their first 2 seasons and are both clearly mainstays of the top echelon for the next 10 years.

Awesome game today Harry. Next week you can show up the Chad.
It is natural to compare Sheezel’s game to Daicos, especially when Sheeze eclipsed Nick’s groundbreaking debut season.

Daicos has been pretty incredible getting running clearances clean out of the ruck contest all year. It was one of my biggest wonders about his move into the middle.

Daicos is still protected by a bunch of star experience around him. Sheezel has not been. The closest he has is a mid 25 year old LDU who has had a slightly inconsistent year and he odd cameo from Jy. LDU’s season since the bye however has been unbelievable.

The best thing that I remember when these comparisons begin to leak into my mind is that while Daicos edges Harry for speed and explosiveness, Harry is ploughing along, impacting games left right and centre, not needing to stage for frees, flop or have the backing of the umps. He is a star doing sh*t no one else in the comp can do, somehow without fanfare. Bloody brilliant.

What impressed even more was he found another gear. He was exhausted in the 4th quarter, heavy legs, but he found a way. The special players do that I think when they've got not much more to give.

I thought he looked like a Luke Breust in his draft year. Classy decision maker, footy IQ and eye for goals.

Keep saying it - holding on tight to that autograph my mums partner got me from when he visited Ajax last year. He's going to be a premiership captain and Brownlow medalist one day.
He's one of my son's mates from school. I am still in disbelief that he's playing for us

37fb7dd918297ad80acb096004935ea6.jpg

For me it’s not a question of if he ends up on this refined list when the club celebrates 200 years it’s how far up will he be on this list!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy can do anything on the field. Amongst the 10 clearances and 35 touches, he took a game saving mark on the last line in the 4th and then intercepted the ball in the forward fifty.

You could put him in a hospital, come back 4 hours later and he’d be performing heart surgery, successfully.
Frank Abagnale or Jarod from The Pretender.

You can tell people who aren’t watching North closely (which is a lot tbf) are missing the boat on how good he is.

The wider footy community are debating if he’s a top 20 player while in here we’re wondering if he’s an all time great 39 games in.

It sounds silly given his age and experience but a lot of us have been watching the game for 40/50 years and more. It’s not like we don’t have context.

Just think about the disarray we were in when that coksucker that hates icebaths said he wanted out.

A few months later we bring Sheezel and Wardlaw in the door and while cockbreathe will be a great player, I couldn’t imagine a better result for our club.

The cherry on top would be playing those w***ers in a GF and in the dying seconds with North up by 10 goals, Wardlaw buries the piece of shit in a tackle and as he gets up rubs his head into the ground just as the siren sounds.

LDU is one of the five best North Melbourne players that we've seen in the past 25 years. His best is as good as just about any player in the competition, and it's only consistency that holds him back from being recognised as one of the greats.

He is having what might be the best patch of form for his entire career, but Sheezel has arguably outclassed him over this stretch.

I absolutely adore LDU, and only use him as a comparison here to highlight how unreal Sheezel has been. LDU is right in the prime of career, by no means should Sheezel be close to his form at only 19.

What he’s doing at his age is just simply bullshit.
He has the highest of footy IQ’s. If you look at his athletic profile there is nothing that immediately stands out, but what he does have is the ability to sum up the game in a fraction of the time it takes others.

It’s the old saying he is playing chess, while the rest of them are playing checkers.

That bit of play in the last two minutes summed him up perfectly. He knew exactly what the Gold Coast player was going to do before the player himself knew. It’s a pity they didn’t kick the winning goal from it, because it was the perfect demonstration of his in game brilliance in one simple act.

He has the highest of footy IQ’s. If you look at his athletic profile there is nothing that immediately stands out, but what he does have is the ability to sum up the game in a fraction of the time it takes others.

It’s the old saying he is playing chess, while the rest of them are playing checkers.

That bit of play in the last two minutes summed him up perfectly. He knew exactly what the Gold Coast player was going to do before the player himself knew. It’s a pity they didn’t kick the winning goal from it, because it was the perfect demonstration of his in game brilliance in one simple act.
He also has stupidly fast hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back