Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

The club is already planting the seed with the media that it will be Simpkin, but that might need a rethink.

They are trying to protect Harry.

But it's far easier captaining a side moving up the ladder than sitting on the bottom.
He's doing as much if not more media than Jy at the moment.

And it almost feels like the Carey era, we need a new young leader to take us forward. I think Jy has done what he can but will likely also benefit from stepping back from the responsibility (and Luke).

I’m doubling down on his AA credentials.

It will be absolutely criminal if he is not AA. ****ing burn AFL house down if it doesn’t happen.
He is slowly gaining momentum with the media. It's an easy narrative knock on Harry - still super young (so has plenty of opportunities for AA in the future) and plays for the then 0-13 bottom of the ladder side.

Harry has the perfect stage in the next three games to really supercharge his AA campaign - if he continues his form against Sydney (1st), Carlton (2nd), and Geelong (5th), and leads North to some upsets, then I don't think anyone can hold the lid on it anymore. If North then storm home, then Sheezel is in the extended squad at a minimum. Tbf, I think regardless of North's form, Sheezel makes the extended squad anyway.

LDU is one of the five best North Melbourne players that we've seen in the past 25 years. His best is as good as just about any player in the competition, and it's only consistency that holds him back from being recognised as one of the greats.

He is having what might be the best patch of form for his entire career, but Sheezel has arguably outclassed him over this stretch.

I absolutely adore LDU, and only use him as a comparison here to highlight how unreal Sheezel has been. LDU is right in the prime of career, by no means should Sheezel be close to his form at only 19.
Both were fabulous in the last quarter, along with Kerch, who had almost half of his metres gained and 6 r50s, and Scott, who worked as hard as anyone...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m still not sure what happened late in the third with that handball. It was too quick for the camera to pick up
Yeah that was wild.

Its not just the handballs either. Sometimes he reaches in and grabs the ball out of other players' hands before they can notice what's going on. Its unreal.

Yeah that was wild.

Its not just the handballs either. Sometimes he reaches in and grabs the ball out of other players' hands before they can notice what's going on. Its unreal.

It’s incredible.

The way he grabs the ball and fires it out or over traffic.

Can’t wait to see him start to get a tag, so he can take them deep forward and show what he can do deep since 50 one out on a tagger

He is slowly gaining momentum with the media. It's an easy narrative knock on Harry - still super young (so has plenty of opportunities for AA in the future) and plays for the then 0-13 bottom of the ladder side.

I think there is still a general ignorance in the media as to his role, and probably still a perception that his stats have been inflated by playing that half back role (Cornes started it last year by questioning kick out numbers). The reality is since he's moved into the middle and forward, he's still getting his 25-30 touches, but he's also kicking a goal a game, getting goal assists and 5-6 clearances, while his contested footy has gone through the roof.

You only had to listen to that radio segment with Daniel Hoyne recently, where he was pointing out Sheezel's elite impact since changing roles. Healy and Cornes, who I think are both AA selectors, seemed completely unprepared for the discussion.

Yeah that was wild.

His reflexes are insane. Somehow I feel that just talking about his footy IQ sells him short a bit. He has amazing reflexes, a good leap, incredible touch and finesse and genuine freakish skill in terms of reading where a ball is going and sending it exactly where he wants it to go.

His reflexes are insane. Somehow I feel that just talking about his footy IQ sells him short a bit. He has amazing reflexes, a could leap, incredible touch and finesse and genuine freakish skill in terms of reading where a ball is going and sending it exactly where he wants it to go.
If he was two yards faster he'd be the most complete player of all time. As it is he'll still be among the best of his generation and possibly of all time.

You can tell people who aren’t watching North closely (which is a lot tbf) are missing the boat on how good he is.

The wider footy community are debating if he’s a top 20 player while in here we’re wondering if he’s an all time great 39 games in.

It sounds silly given his age and experience but a lot of us have been watching the game for 40/50 years and more. It’s not like we don’t have context.
I was explaining to my Grandmother the other night (She and my Grandfather used to take me to the Footy) how the Broadcast doesn’t do Sheezel justice, he is spectacular to watch at the games.

If he was two yards faster he'd be the most complete player of all time. As it is he'll still be among the best of his generation and possibly of all time.

That's how I feel about him as well. Gary Ablett Junior set the mould for completeness and this bloke feels so damn similar. He should 100% be setting his sights on as good a career. Some might see it as hyperbole this early in his career but that completeness you mentioned is just phenomenal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve decided he’s the best player in the comp right now. He’s a freak and he’s ours.
Kingy said today he’s the best young player to come into our club since the duck. He’s not wrong

It’s incredible.

The way he grabs the ball and fires it out or over traffic.

Can’t wait to see him start to get a tag, so he can take them deep forward and show what he can do deep since 50 one out on a tagger
I wonder if he would ever get a tag, if we keep all our mids together. LDU is probably the first/main mid to attract a tag, and its not often teams run multiple hard tags. And thats not even considering who amongst McKercher, Wardlaw, and Sheezel, teams would consider tagging over the others

I wonder if he would ever get a tag, if we keep all our mids together. LDU is probably the first/main mid to attract a tag, and its not often teams run multiple hard tags. And thats not even considering who amongst McKercher, Wardlaw, and Sheezel, teams would consider tagging over the others
Another important reason to keep LDU is that it forces opponents to choose whether they tag him or Sheezel. A bit like Heeney/Warner/Gulden, you just can't tag them all. Add that to the pile...

For two decades I've been hoping we get enough quality midfielders that the opposing team just can't tag our best midfielder out of the game and cripple our drive.

We're there now.

Me and Gerald Healy agree, he is playing good footy. But what me and Gerald Healy need you guys to understand is, that he isn’t in the AA squad until he moves out of the backline. Me and Gerald Healy want to see him kick more goals (me and Gerald Healy assume he hasn’t kicked any goals this year). Now me and Gerald Healy need to see his ave disposals to be up near the 50 mark, laying 11 tackles a game, and ave 5 goals a game before me and Gerald Healy would even consider Sheezle being mentioned in the same breath as Elliott Yeo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back