Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a thought and a selfish one at that, I’d like to see him play more forward even around the middle, but honestly don’t want to hinder his chances of winning the RS award, given the way we operate in the forward half, it could see him starved of opportunities, but I guess, if anyone is going to attract the footy, it’s this kid, but this club is just craving for something to hang its hat on and by seasons end, the Rising Star will be all we’ve got!

have you watched us play?

its the hardest spot to play in our team
I think you're taking half 'forward' too strictly. He's not going to sit within 60m of goal and not venture from there.

His endurance base is exceptional, as is his footy IQ - that's why he'll find the footy. I'd expect we give him the license to work hard between the arcs and even play as an additional midfielder on the attacking side of the stoppage.

It'll also get his hands on the ball in the most dangerous area of the ground. I was more than happy with the idea of him playing off a back flank pre-season and said that here, but I think the time is right for him to shift to his most natural position.

Would love to shift him up forward and get a look at how we play with Luke McDonald, Bailey Scott and Curtis Taylor all kicking it directly to his opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're taking half 'forward' too strictly. He's not going to sit within 60m of goal and not venture from there.

His endurance base is exceptional, as is his footy IQ - that's why he'll find the footy. I'd expect we give him the license to work hard between the arcs and even play as an additional midfielder on the attacking side of the stoppage.

It'll also get his hands on the ball in the most dangerous area of the ground. I was more than happy with the idea of him playing off a back flank pre-season and said that here, but I think the time is right for him to shift to his most natural position.
Definitely agree that the timing of a move to half forward needs to be now. As bad as our transition from the back half has been, our entries inside fifty have been even worse. We are getting the footy enough and getting enough inside fifties, so adding Shezeel’s class to half forward and midfield will really help the team capitalise on those chances. Plus, he can act as that classy accumulating link man pushing up and down the ground. An additional plus is that he’s a noted goal scorer and adds a new threat that helps Curtis and the other smalls.

Really hope we make the move soon as it makes a lot of sense. Switch him with Drury for the moment.

Definitely agree that the timing of a move to half forward needs to be now. As bad as our transition from the back half has been, our entries inside fifty have been even worse. We are getting the footy enough and getting enough inside fifties, so adding Shezeel’s class to half forward and midfield will really help the team capitalise on those chances. Plus, he can act as that classy accumulating link man pushing up and down the ground. An additional plus is that he’s a noted goal scorer and adds a new threat that helps Curtis and the other smalls.

Really hope we make the move soon as it makes a lot of sense. Switch him with Drury for the moment.
If you do it now without CZ we better bring in CCJ and even maybe Cunners so there are at least some targets down there

FwY1rSiaEAM071s

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back