Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

The best part is his old man is all over it, won’t let Harry get ahead of himself, very balanced and humble family!

His old man told me during gather round “Harry and George were the best two kids their age the whole way through, give them 50 games”

Didn't Horse kick 100 as a 19yr old kid? Sheezus

<insert gif of harry as jesus touching fingers with old man horse>

iu

Anyone who gives a **** about my self loving opinions would know I rate coaches votes highly.

These votes are a really good indicator of improvement to date. Doesn't assure future improvement of course.

But 3 players polling in a loss including a BOG = nice.

Last time:
View attachment 2055757
I feel we choked that game.

The best part is his old man is all over it, won’t let Harry get ahead of himself, very balanced and humble family!

His old man told me during gather round “Harry and George were the best two kids their age the whole way through, give them 50 games”
How's he tracking against Daicos for year 2?

Gut feel is he's close.

Didn't Horse kick 100 as a 19yr old kid? Sheezus

<insert gif of harry as jesus touching fingers with old man horse>

iu
He kicked 98. He kicked 2.8 in the final round against Collingwood, would have been and should have been the first and only teenager to kick 100 in a season. :(

EDIT: Updated with the correct number of behinds.

Last edited:

I don't know the Sheezel family directly, but I know people who do, and I've heard nothing but good things like you describe here. Just absolutely down-to-Earth good people, from all reports.

Harry seems to be living proof. Love the kid.

I knew it didn't look right. :)

What surprised me about that game was the average age of the North team was only 22y 194d's, 12 of the 20 players had less than 50 games experience and another 5 had between 50 and 70 games experience. Only Larkin, Fairley and Ross Smith had played over 100 games and Larkin was the most experienced at 125 games.

1721702202703.png

This team was a full two years younger than the team that played Carlton on the weekend and was probably looking more promising than our current team, but it would be three more seasons, further player turnover (I think there are about 9/10 players listed who had either left or played only a minor role beyond the start of 1993) and a change of coach before we really hit the bigtime and started playing finals and competing for flags.

We already have the coach and I think we have the majority of our lineup that should see us playing more competitive footy in 2025 and beyond, so it will be interesting to see if it takes another three seasons before we are competing the finals and flags. I hope not. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2056545
One stat that isn't close though is "Frees For" 🙄 Daicos with twice as many, who would have thought? #freekickcollingwood
Another stat is where they're playing.

First couple of months same position, from there sheezel been impacting so much more as a fwd/mid- the hardest spot on the ground.

Also bottom 2 team vs top team...

Sheezel has had the better season, and I have no idea why he isn't a LOCK for AA.

I added up wrong. He needs 10.4 per game to beat Swallow's record. So it's unlikely.

He needs 6.2 a game to be 2nd best season.

He averages 7.4.
Bloody Hell JGreezy this is Big Footy, we value 100% accuracy above everything else on here, lift your game.

Sheezel and Daicos have each only ever had 4 sub 20 disposal games in their careers to date.

Daicos has played an additional season obviously.

I imagine it would be close to an AFL/VFL record with their game qualifiers and probably a record they will battle out for over their careers.

Who would you take in an open field;

Sheezel or daicos.

Even more interesting,
Sheezel, Daicos, Wardlaw or JHF.

Imagine asking that question and your team has 2 of the players asked about 😀
For the record, I'm daicos and sheezel equal. Can't decide. Ones the best player in comp, ones almost matching him in a bottom side

Then its tight as well for 3rd and 4th. Completely different players. I think wardlaw compliments either sheezel or diacos better then what JHF would... that might get him 3rd for mine, that he brings others into where JHF needs players to cover for he's lack of defensive efforts

For the record, I'm daicos and sheezel equal. Can't decide. Ones the best player in comp, ones almost matching him in a bottom side

Then its tight as well for 3rd and 4th. Completely different players. I think wardlaw compliments either sheezel or diacos better then what JHF would... that might get him 3rd for mine, that he brings others into where JHF needs players to cover for he's lack of defensive efforts
Ooft plop harley reid into this convo, he prob slots 3rd for mine.
What a group of young guns to watch for the next 15 years

Ooft plop harley reid into this convo, he prob slots 3rd for mine.
What a group of young guns to watch for the next 15 years
When was the last time that there was this calibre of young guns developing in the same area of the ground at the same time?

Maybe in the mid-90s with Buckley, Hird, Voss, R. Harvey?

Or mid-00s with Judd, Hodge, Ball, (GAJ wasn't on the same page until he was 23).

It's a special group.

When was the last time that there was this calibre of young guns developing in the same area of the ground at the same time?

Maybe in the mid-90s with Buckley, Hird, Voss, R. Harvey?

Or mid-00s with Judd, Hodge, Ball, (GAJ wasn't on the same page until he was 23).

It's a special group.
Not to mention mckercher, sanders, ashcroft (the forgotten one) and whoever else

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back