Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Too early. I'd have the Bont as the best player in the game right now.
He said next season... but the fact he's in the conversation is wild.

Sheezel and daicos (have to talk about them both) have been unreal in what they have both acheived. Staggering how only daicos got the plaudits 😄 🤣

Am I missing something or has there been very little media fanfare for his performance on the weekend? I mean, he just dropped 35 and 2 against a top four side while playing for a bottom four side (and it wasn't like he was stat padding). That'd be a brilliant performance for anyone, but this kid hasn't even played two complete seasons yet.

I knew it didn't look right. :)

What surprised me about that game was the average age of the North team was only 22y 194d's, 12 of the 20 players had less than 50 games experience and another 5 had between 50 and 70 games experience. Only Larkin, Fairley and Ross Smith had played over 100 games and Larkin was the most experienced at 125 games.

View attachment 2056503

This team was a full two years younger than the team that played Carlton on the weekend and was probably looking more promising than our current team, but it would be three more seasons, further player turnover (I think there are about 9/10 players listed who had either left or played only a minor role beyond the start of 1993) and a change of coach before we really hit the bigtime and started playing finals and competing for flags.

We already have the coach and I think we have the majority of our lineup that should see us playing more competitive footy in 2025 and beyond, so it will be interesting to see if it takes another three seasons before we are competing the finals and flags. I hope not. :(

Given how good Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Xerri & Chom are looking, I think it will be pretty quick.

I’ll be putting a pineapple on us playing finals next year.
We need to be given a half decent draw to start the year. Honestly. Imagine if we win three of the first five games.

I would love someone to ask the question to Harry - how did you think your first 2 seasons would go?

Probably say average 15 touches and a goal a game

I’ve never seen a kid come intro this club and be great from day 1.
I was laughing at his first game With the amount of ball he got but little did I know that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Am I missing something or has there been very little media fanfare for his performance on the weekend? I mean, he just dropped 35 and 2 against a top four side while playing for a bottom four side (and it wasn't like he was stat padding). That'd be a brilliant performance for anyone, but this kid hasn't even played two complete seasons yet.
Good call, is staggering how well he is playing. Elite talent personified

He should be AA.
And for once, I feel like the media dixkheads genuinely love one of our players (they love George too) & it might just happen - regardless of the colours of the stripes he wears.

For the last few years, maybe even a decade or more, I've watched other teams have kids come in and absolutely kill it straight away, and moaned to myself, "Why can't we have one like that for once".

Getting to watch a kid like Harry, makes up for it in spades.

Class player and class person.

The thing I love about him is that he's got integrity and it shows in the way he plays the game.

Goes back with the flight and cops the hit. Sticks his head over the hardball. Goes hard in both the defensive and attacking aspects of the game. I honestly can't ever remember him throwing his head back to milk a high or stage to win any free kick. Just oozes leadership in the way he carries himself and puts the team before himself.

I don't want to shit on Daicos for the sake of it but both he and Sheezel are being compared quite a bit and understandably so. None of the things I just wrote above can be said about Daicos.

One of those players that deserves to be universally loved and will be remembered for all the right reasons.

The thing I love about him is that he's got integrity and it shows in the way he plays the game.

Goes back with the flight and cops the hit. Sticks his head over the hardball. Goes hard in both the defensive and attacking aspects of the game. I honestly can't ever remember him throwing his head back to milk a high or stage to win any free kick.

I don't want to shit on Daicos for the sake of it but both he and Sheezel are being compared quite a bit. None of the things I just wrote above can be said about Daicos.

One of those players that deserves to be universally loved and will be remembered for all the right reasons.
Great call.
Legitimate role model for the kids.

But does he surf?
He surfs hanging 10 over the front of a thruster like its a malibu whilst simultaneously solving 2 rubiks cubes that he juggles. All of this whilst cooly avoiding other unscrupulous surfers that cut on on him.

Disclaimer, parts or the whole of the above statement may be factually incorrect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the last few years, maybe even a decade or more, I've watched other teams have kids come in and absolutely kill it straight away, and moaned to myself, "Why can't we have one like that for once".

Getting to watch a kid like Harry, makes up for it in spades.

And Reid was " generational " 🤣

I knew it didn't look right. :)

What surprised me about that game was the average age of the North team was only 22y 194d's, 12 of the 20 players had less than 50 games experience and another 5 had between 50 and 70 games experience. Only Larkin, Fairley and Ross Smith had played over 100 games and Larkin was the most experienced at 125 games.

View attachment 2056503

This team was a full two years younger than the team that played Carlton on the weekend and was probably looking more promising than our current team, but it would be three more seasons, further player turnover (I think there are about 9/10 players listed who had either left or played only a minor role beyond the start of 1993) and a change of coach before we really hit the bigtime and started playing finals and competing for flags.

We already have the coach and I think we have the majority of our lineup that should see us playing more competitive footy in 2025 and beyond, so it will be interesting to see if it takes another three seasons before we are competing the finals and flags. I hope not. :(
No player older than 26 in that side was crazy.
Comparing that the 1990 side was still semi-pro, to the fully professional comp now. You'll never see a side with a average age that young, apart from an expansion side.
Players hang around longer these days, as it's their livelihood. Without really studying the numbers, reckon 80% of the 300 game club have played in the last 30 years.
My point is that the groups are probably comparatively young, taking that into account.
We also played our oldest possible side bar Greenwood, and have plenty of highly promising kids in the 2's and on the injury list. (Hardeman, W. Dawson, Duursma, Bergman, Goater and George)

Harry won’t make the AA team unless he gets 30 & 3 every game for the rest of the season.
Whilst the numbers suggest he is up there with the very best midfielders in the comp, they (media & AA selectors) will have 10-15 ahead of him right now:
Bont
Daicos
Cripps
Merrett
Neale
Heeney
Warner
Serong
Butters
Treloar
Gulden
All of these guys would be ahead in their minds & possibly a few others.
I think next year will be his year & probably every year after that for a long time.
Of course, he could/should be named on a forward flank, unlike most the above mentioned he can & does play there.

Harry won’t make the AA team unless he gets 30 & 3 every game for the rest of the season.
Whilst the numbers suggest he is up there with the very best midfielders in the comp, they (media & AA selectors) will have 10-15 ahead of him right now:
Bont
Daicos
Cripps
Merrett
Neale
Heeney
Warner
Serong
Butters
Treloar
Gulden
I think next year will be his year & probably every year after that for a long time.
Of course, he could/should be named on a forward flank, unlike most the above mentioned he can & does play there.
You've missed Hayden Young. Very underrated like Sheezel.

Bont
Daicos
Cripps
Merrett
Neale
Heeney
Warner
Serong
Butters
Treloar
Gulden

Harry will have spent the 800 minutes forward required for the season to be a forward selection.

The only other two on that list that meet that criteria are Warner and Bont.

Bont will be selected in the midfield.

Moore and Warner will be the HFF's.

I think Sheezel will be a bench selection if he keeps this up, unless Warner is selected elsewhere. He will be viewed as a fwd/mid/def option off the bench imo.

Goes back with the flight and cops the hit. Sticks his head over the hardball. Goes hard in both the defensive and attacking aspects of the game. I honestly can't ever remember him throwing his head back to milk a high or stage to win any free kick. Just oozes leadership in the way he carries himself and puts the team before himself.

I don't want to shit on Daicos for the sake of it but both he and Sheezel are being compared quite a bit and understandably so. None of the things I just wrote above can be said about Daicos.

I'm having this very discussion right now on the MB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back