Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry wonā€™t make the AA team unless he gets 30 & 3 every game for the rest of the season.
Whilst the numbers suggest he is up there with the very best midfielders in the comp, they (media & AA selectors) will have 10-15 ahead of him right now:
Bont
Daicos
Cripps
Merrett
Neale
Heeney
Warner
Serong
Butters
Treloar
Gulden
All of these guys would be ahead in their minds & possibly a few others.
I think next year will be his year & probably every year after that for a long time.
Of course, he could/should be named on a forward flank, unlike most the above mentioned he can & does play there.
Well if they bypass him it will all but confirm that they have absolutely no idea when it comes to assessing talent.
We all know how brilliant he is and how the stats back it up week in week out.
I remember that the AA selector extraordinaire Kane Corns a few weeks back was already running up his excuse for not looking at Harryā€¦l believe the term not flashy enough was his escape clause despite his stats being on par with Daicos. His stats, his big moments in games and his tracking at breaking that 90 year old record are good enough for me. Heā€™s Huge, we love him and we acknowledge thereā€™s something incredible taking placeā€¦heā€™s one of us.
They simply canā€™t bring themselves to acknowledge what his done, all whilst playing in a team thatā€™s been in the lower rungs of the competition. Jealousy is a curse heyā€¦.

Harry wonā€™t make the AA team unless he gets 30 & 3 every game for the rest of the season.
Whilst the numbers suggest he is up there with the very best midfielders in the comp, they (media & AA selectors) will have 10-15 ahead of him right now:
Bont
Daicos
Cripps
Merrett
Neale
Heeney
Warner
Serong
Butters
Treloar
Gulden
All of these guys would be ahead in their minds & possibly a few others.
I think next year will be his year & probably every year after that for a long time.
Of course, he could/should be named on a forward flank, unlike most the above mentioned he can & does play there.
Donā€™t forget that Cornes has Horne Francis on the end of his **** and heā€™s on the selection panel.
Well if they bypass him it will all but confirm that they have absolutely no idea when it comes to assessing talent.
We all know how brilliant he is and how the stats back it up week in week out.
I remember that the AA selector extraordinaire Kane Corns a few weeks back was already running up his excuse for not looking at Harryā€¦l believe the term not flashy enough was his escape clause despite his stats being on par with Daicos. His stats, his big moments in games and his tracking at breaking that 90 year old record are good enough for me. Heā€™s Huge, we love him and we acknowledge thereā€™s something incredible taking placeā€¦heā€™s one of us.
They simply canā€™t bring themselves to acknowledge what his done, all whilst playing in a team thatā€™s been in the lower rungs of the competition. Jealousy is a curse heyā€¦.
Itā€™s a collection of blokes with agendas, preconceptions and biases (subconscious or knowingly blatant). We donā€™t have a voice on that panel. By the time the automatic selections happen thereā€™s time for the cheerleaders to put their players forward.. we donā€™t have any north aligned people on the panel.

Sheezel should 100% be a certainty but he wonā€™t make it.

Harry will have spent the 800 minutes forward required for the season to be a forward selection.

The only other two on that list that meet that criteria are Warner and Bont.

Bont will be selected in the midfield.

Moore and Warner will be the HFF's.

I think Sheezel will be a bench selection if he keeps this up, unless Warner is selected elsewhere. He will be viewed as a fwd/mid/def option off the bench imo.
I didnā€™t realise there was a criteria for being selected in certain positions.
Itā€™s good to know they canā€™t just chuck a midfielder they wanted in the team at HF.

Another stat is where they're playing.

First couple of months same position, from there sheezel been impacting so much more as a fwd/mid- the hardest spot on the ground.

Also bottom 2 team vs top team...

Sheezel has had the better season, and I have no idea why he isn't a LOCK for AA.
His a NMFC player and past history should tell that %99 of the Selection committee of the AA hate a hatred towards our club.

Really bizarre the media trying to playdown what Harry is doing.

Last night...
on SEN we had Brad Johnson using every justification (regardless of contradiction) he could, to exclude Harry from his AA team.
on 7 Talking Footy we had Tim Watson saying he'd prefer Harley Reid over Harry.

Funny world we live in, when a 19 year old is having one of if not the best second year ever and the media focus on poking holes then appreciating what he's doing.

Last night...
on SEN we had Brad Johnson using every justification (regardless of contradiction) he could, to exclude Harry from his AA team.

Funny world we live in, when a 19 year old is having one of if not the best second year ever and the media focus on poking holes then appreciating what he's doing.
Tim Watson defended his former football club despite his own son having admitted being part of an unprecedented program of PED injections in a TV interview while Tim himself was channel 7 chief football reporter.

And he is still employed in the media.

FFS.

He had more credibility when he was the travelling Musashi energy bar salesman.

Any opinion held by Brad Johnson should be automatically discredited.

Last night...

because he plays for the roos

Tim Watson defended his former football club despite his own son having admitted being part of an unprecedented program of PED injections in a TV interview while Tim himself was channel 7 chief football reporter.

And he is still employed in the media.

FFS.

He had more credibility when he was the travelling Musashi energy bar salesman.

Any opinion held by Brad Johnson should be automatically discredited.
What Tim Watson was saying privately and among colleagues about the Essendon drugs saga as opposed to what he was saying in the media is probably what saved him from the scrap heap.

Last night...

I get the harley over Harry. Harley shown highlights suggesting he could be the next Judd. COULD. Harry already is amazing, but some probably see he's ceiling isn't as high as harley.

Leaving Harry out of AA for me is absurd. Reeks of small club syndrome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the harley over Harry. Harley shown highlights suggesting he could be the next Judd. COULD. Harry already is amazing, but some probably see he's ceiling isn't as high as harley.

Leaving Harry out of AA for me is absurd. Reeks of small club syndrome.
It comes down to best vs most entertaining.

Sheeze is like Pendles: subtly brilliant.

Harley is flashy.

Sheezel isn't flashy now? He's one of the most magical footballers I've ever seen. I think most people don't watch our games. That's understandable. I don't watch a lot of Freo (despite them being good) or St Kilda or loads of clubs that aren't either us or regularly on in the prime time slots. Don't underestimate the impact of constant Saturday or Sunday arvo matches on Fox Footy / Kayo. It reduces the number of neutral onlookers by like 90%

If Harry is gonna get picked he's gonna have to go up even higher than 30 disposals and half a goal average and make it so they can't not pick him.

Last night...

I said weeks ago that he may not make the AA team.

That was based on the AA committee leaning towards selecting players that have had a terrific year in the 1 position compared to a player that's had a terrific season in multiple positions(ie Flanders, Sheezel). The easy answer perhaps would be placing him on the bench.

But objectively speaking he'd be top 15 player this season and based on that he should be in that team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back