Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

I fell off a ladder a few weeks ago. Landed on my feet but my left foot buckled a bit. Luckily, I didn't drop the chainsaw.

Ankle was ok after a few days but it is suddenly a bit painful now and again. Might be similar to delayed concussion, except in the foot.

Probably a syndesmosis injury.
Marinate in a bucket of garlic and soy. Should be good as new in a week or so.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Big call, we’ve had some legends of the game play for North, He’ll be an all time great if he ends up in the top 10, let alone being better than Carey.
Will be hard to dethrone The King as our best imo the best player ever. Perhaps he will become the next Prince Harry.

He was on Dyl & Friends today. Worth a listen if you like podcasts. It was probably recorded last week.

One the more interesting comments was on our preseason. Apparently Clarkson, Viney and the others thought we were flying and expected our first half of the season to be more like the second half.

He was also quite glowing about Michael Barlow (senior coach in the making), although with some prodding by Dylan Buckley.

Apparently Sheezel also lost a lot of weight in the offseason. He seems manic about his diet, and put it down to going without certain carbs for ages.

Last edited:
He was on Dyl & Friends today. Worth a listen if you like podcasts. It was probably recorded last week.

One the more interesting comments was on our preseason. Apparently Clarkson, Viney and the others thought we were flying and expected our first half of the season to be more like the second half.

He was also quite glowing about Michael Barlow (senior coach in the making), although with some prodding by Dylan Buckley.

Apparently Sheezel also lost a lot of weight in the offseason. He seems manic about his diet, and put it down to going without certain carbs for ages.
They probably should have.

A week off over the bye isn't enough to time to magically change a game plan or sides fitness.

I fell off a ladder a few weeks ago. Landed on my feet but my left foot buckled a bit. Luckily, I didn't drop the chainsaw.

Ankle was ok after a few days but it is suddenly a bit painful now and again. Might be similar to delayed concussion, except in the foot.

Probably a syndesmosis injury.

Or hypochondria. Similar symptoms to syndesmosis.

Big call, we’ve had some legends of the game play for North, He’ll be an all time great if he ends up in the top 10, let alone being better than Carey.
Who knows, it's in contention with his trajectory. The missing piece will be team success.

Going by what we saw over the preseason and the great first half against Freo, we were probably within our rights to expect better. But a combination of overly aggressive gameplan, extremely tough early draw, other teams flying early in the season and our own loss of self belief after the early losses have contributed to the failure. But one hopes we've learned from it and will be able to avoid the same mistakes next season.

Will be hard to dethrone The King as our best imo the best player ever. Perhaps he will become the next Prince Harry.
I think Prince Harry is apt, next to The King.

As good as Sheezel is currently and projected to be, damn, Carey just set the bar pretty damn high. Here's some things that may not be ever eclipsed:
  • CHF vs midfielder. Carey just plays the hardest position on the ground. Ain't nothing Harry can do about that. I guess maybe the currency of key position players may be lower in the modern game, but I don't think by much.
  • Style of play. Watch Carey's highlights and only Ablett Snr and Franklin compare IMO. Midfielders do some freak stuff but I don't think anything captures the footy imagination better than a freak forward.
  • Charisma on/off field. Carey just screamed superstar and leader on the field. He had mongrel and was the most intimidating presence on the field. Opposition fans hated him but would rate him #1 if asked. That is entertainment. But off the field, he was as close as a Hollywood superstar as you could get as a footballer, and it might have been also in the era. The constant Friday night game features. Starring in iconic ads, was frequently a TV personality, etc. Well spoken, intelligent, and with the looks. The complete package.
Those are some of the reasons why I would rank Carey over say a Leigh Matthews for example, who if you just looked purely by resume, is the GOAT.

So using Matthews as the barometer, or even GAJ or a Dustin Martin, for contemporary comparisons - Sheezel basically needs to build a better resume than Carey did so continue to average 30 and 1-2 goals individually, captain the side at a young age, and win more premierships, win Brownlows, more AAs, etc. That's near impossible.

The good thing about Sheezel is that his style of player is a bit like the Yin to Carey's Yang. Whereas Carey is the physical, intimidating, commander-type, Sheezel seems like the cool, calm, silent assassin-type. Equally as deadly, but different. So similarly, he can forge his own path and legacy, reframe what it would look like to be considered the "greatest of all time".

Going by what we saw over the preseason and the great first half against Freo, we were probably within our rights to expect better. But a combination of overly aggressive gameplan, extremely tough early draw, other teams flying early in the season and our own loss of self belief after the early losses have contributed to the failure. But one hopes we've learned from it and will be able to avoid the same mistakes next season.
Looking back a few months, we played like a team of Dustin Martin's but forgot to include some defensively minded, hard running Shitmen to cover them.

As good as Sheezel is currently and projected to be, damn, Carey just set the bar pretty damn high. Here's some things that may not be ever eclipsed:
  • CHF vs midfielder. Carey just plays the hardest position on the ground. Ain't nothing Harry can do about that. I guess maybe the currency of key position players may be lower in the modern game, but I don't think by much.
  • Style of play. Watch Carey's highlights and only Ablett Snr and Franklin compare IMO. Midfielders do some freak stuff but I don't think anything captures the footy imagination better than a freak forward.
  • Charisma on/off field. Carey just screamed superstar and leader on the field. He had mongrel and was the most intimidating presence on the field. Opposition fans hated him but would rate him #1 if asked. That is entertainment. But off the field, he was as close as a Hollywood superstar as you could get as a footballer, and it might have been also in the era. The constant Friday night game features. Starring in iconic ads, was frequently a TV personality, etc. Well spoken, intelligent, and with the looks. The complete package.
Those are some of the reasons why I would rank Carey over say a Leigh Matthews for example, who if you just looked purely by resume, is the GOAT.

So using Matthews as the barometer, or even GAJ or a Dustin Martin, for contemporary comparisons - Sheezel basically needs to build a better resume than Carey did so continue to average 30 and 1-2 goals individually, captain the side at a young age, and win more premierships, win Brownlows, more AAs, etc. That's near impossible.

The good thing about Sheezel is that his style of player is a bit like the Yin to Carey's Yang. Whereas Carey is the physical, intimidating, commander-type, Sheezel seems like the cool, calm, silent assassin-type. Equally as deadly, but different. So similarly, he can forge his own path and legacy, reframe what it would look like to be considered the "greatest of all time".
You haven't mentioned the fact that Carey is no longer welcome at the club because of his character and decisions. All those things are great about Carey but Harry so far has shown he is going to be a much greater man and representation of our club than Carey was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking back a few months, we played like a team of Dustin Martin's but forgot to include some defensively minded, hard running Shitmen to cover them.
And to an extent we are still struggling with that balance, not just in some games, but in some quarters. But the balance was defiitely right off in the first half of the season.

Across his career Carey average 16.5 disposals and 2&2/3 goals per game. A little bit (but not much) more if you don't count the first year and the last three where he wasn't quite as good. Ablett averages 15 and 4+ goals per game but I don't think he had the same influence on games as Carey in terms of being able to win matches and bring the side with him.

Matthews had 22-23 disposals and 2.75 goals per game but didn't have the same carry a side on his back aura as Carey either. He played in some great teams chock full of talent. GAJ and Dusty average 24-25 and 1.1/1.25 goals per game Bont's are just under 24/1 per game.

Sheeze needs to kick alot more goals (but has at least a decade to do that) and maintain his other output and statistically he'll be miles in front of the rest. If he can do that you'd imagine the flags and other honours follow.

You haven't mentioned the fact that Carey is no longer welcome at the club because of his character and decisions. All those things are great about Carey but Harry so far has shown he is going to be a much greater man and representation of our club than Carey was.
Yeah great point - big blemish on Carey's legacy.

Comparison is the thief of Joy.

Don't worry about comparing him to those who have come before, merely embrace that we are witnessing the potential emergence of a champion.

He could be anything.

And if the talent that is coming through with him live up to what they could be he will be the leader of an incredibly powerful side.

Only needs 26 more disposals to have the record for Most Disposals in a season by a North player.

Peter Bell has the record at 649 disposals, Sheez currently sits on 626 for the season.

Bell had the benefit of finals though 2000.
This reminds me of something I saw where someone said Julius Caesar had been dead for well over 70 years. The numbers aren't technically wrong but it's a little frustrating to look at

Only needs 26 more disposals to have the record for Most Disposals in a season by a North player.

Peter Bell has the record at 649 disposals, Sheez currently sits on 626 for the season.

Bell had the benefit of finals though 2000.
These numbers are an indictment for 20 years of mids for us.

Sheezel first and Bell second is disgraceful.

Across his career Carey average 16.5 disposals and 2&2/3 goals per game. A little bit (but not much) more if you don't count the first year and the last three where he wasn't quite as good. Ablett averages 15 and 4+ goals per game but I don't think he had the same influence on games as Carey in terms of being able to win matches and bring the side with him.

Matthews had 22-23 disposals and 2.75 goals per game but didn't have the same carry a side on his back aura as Carey either. He played in some great teams chock full of talent. GAJ and Dusty average 24-25 and 1.1/1.25 goals per game Bont's are just under 24/1 per game.

Sheeze needs to kick alot more goals (but has at least a decade to do that) and maintain his other output and statistically he'll be miles in front of the rest. If he can do that you'd imagine the flags and other honours follow.
Geez Mathew’s averages are insane. As are the rest of them to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 23 AFL RS/NM SBM, AFLPA BYP, '24 AA squad, '24 AFLCA BYP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back