Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

adams1.jpg

Player Profile:

Drafted by GWS with Pick 13 in the 2011 National Draft, Taylor Adams made his AFL debut in Round 5 of the 2012 season. After 31 games with the Giants the midfielder moved to Collingwood where he went on to play 10 seasons and five finals campaign for the Magpies. He joins the Sydney Swans with a wealth of experience including a Grand Final appearance in 2018. In 2020 he was named the club’s Best and Fairest and selected in the All-Australian team.

DOB: 20 Sep 1993
Draft: 2011
RECRUITED FROM: Collingwood

Last edited:
McRae not calling, even if only to wish him luck, is ordinary. Runs against the picture he paints.
Between that and his presser where he didn't mention the opposition earlier this year, its becoming clear that fly only thinks about Collingwood and what's in front of them. For me that's very telling of his character that he's not exactly the type of person he projects himself to be.

Between that and his presser where he didn't mention the opposition earlier this year, its becoming clear that fly only thinks about Collingwood and what's in front of them. For me that's very telling of his character that he's not exactly the type of person he projects himself to be.

Let’s not forget the time he dropped a player in a post match presser.

Just great form all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading between the lines it sounds like Horse - without guaranteeing a spot of course - told Adams he'd be given every chance to play in the guts.

Think his form has been solid and I reckon he's pretty safe at the moment.

Geez - doesn't take much for people to turn. One moment everyone loves McRae, next he's a piece of human garbage. OK, I'm exaggerating but point taken (hopefully).

Taylor Adams himself expressed his disappointment but also his understanding of how McRae handled him. In any event basing our opinion on what a disaffected player says alone (or primarily) is not really sound.

Sam Gray was critical of our coaches when he left too - although, again, he said the lack of attention he got was probably because he was already on the way out and they were focusing on the players who had brighter futures. Not ideal, but understandable.

Yep Every player at a club has a story , some would probably say Sydney were assholes to them.

Seen plenty bitter , seen plenty love the pies , hate the pies, same at every club.

Who knows, but the Adams story is interesting .

The bit I have listened to so far sounds like Mcrae told him nothing was changing , so to cut him a little slack maybe he was shocked Adams then wanted out.

Anyways I like him as a player glad we have him and think he adds a needed dimension and we haven't seen his best yet. He will build

Geez - doesn't take much for people to turn. One moment everyone loves McRae, next he's a piece of human garbage. OK, I'm exaggerating but point taken (hopefully).

Taylor Adams himself expressed his disappointment but also his understanding of how McRae handled him. In any event basing our opinion on what a disaffected player says alone (or primarily) is not really sound.

Sam Gray was critical of our coaches when he left too - although, again, he said the lack of attention he got was probably because he was already on the way out and they were focusing on the players who had brighter futures. Not ideal, but understandable.
Fly & garbage? Sound like a perfect match.

I never warmed to Fly as a coach. It's always about him.

It's a credit to Adam's character that he cut Fly some slack.

Gets a lot of contested ball and working into games, is doing a lot of thankless work imo.

Improved since his inclusion, helps guys like Warner and Gulden imo

Gets a lot of contested ball and working into games, is doing a lot of thankless work imo.

He’s playing his role perfectly imo, loving what he’s doing as the junkyard dog in the middle and at HF. He’s not gonna have highlights like Errol or Chad but he’s gonna help facilitate those guys to be their best. I love how clean in traffic he is and how tough at the man he is at pace too. Not pace like Gary Rohan but his velocity in contested situations is so valuable, he crashes through contests and tackles at pace. Excellent addition to the side.

I always felt mcrae appeared very smug. He seems like a great tactician, and sees the game differently to your standard coach, which is an asset, but as a person I've always felt he was pretty arrogant and loved talking about himself without being outwardly self-absorbed, you just knew he loved it when the spotlight was on him.

Spot on. Does a lot that you don't notice so much but is very important to the team. Much like Rowy does a lot of heavy lifting in the middle that allows the silkier ball users to do their job (Though I think Rowy is building confidence in his ability to use the ball reasonably well too).

Adams leadership should not be underplayed either.

Adams and Jordan look like two absolute bargain buy gems at the moment - Jordan especially given he is still young and with a lot of potential to improve.

Spot on. Does a lot that you don't notice so much but is very important to the team. Much like Rowy does a lot of heavy lifting in the middle that allows the silkier ball users to do their job (Though I think Rowy is building confidence in his ability to use the ball reasonably well too).

Adams leadership should not be underplayed either.

Adams and Jordan look like two absolute bargain buy gems at the moment - Jordan especially given he is still young and with a lot of potential to improve.

Jordan within 60 on any angle is a goal chance too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno. To work so closely with someone for so many years and not even get so much as a phone call to acknowledge your contribution to the club is a bad look imo. As you said though... it's one persons word so there may be more to it than we're privy too, but if not you'd think picking up the phone to thank a player for their years of service would be the bare minimum a coach would do.

I dunno. To work so closely with someone for so many years and not even get so much as a phone call to acknowledge your contribution to the club is a bad look imo. As you said though... it's one persons word so there may be more to it than we're privy too, but if not you'd think picking up the phone to thank a player for their years of service would be the bare minimum a coach would do.
Played every game last year bar the last two. One of the reasons they got to a flag. And no call? Piss weak.

In fairness, every time the "Collingwood is now a cuddly and loveable club" narrative comes up, I always wait with bated breath for it to come crashing down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back